Options

Post your key date coins

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread needs an 1822 10¢.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am human... I put my best effort forward to be respectful of others and I suspect I fall short in that goal as measured by others here. While there are reasons to be disappointed... try to walk on the sunny side of the street once in a while. Unfortunately, I don't have a link to Chick Webb's Blue Wax Columbia recording of that Depression Era standard which is now a classic...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

Extremely nice and rare 1876-cc $5. Would love a coin of this date this some day, could not afford an AU-50.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Once touted as an extreme rarity in the 1960s with only "25 to 30 extant and perhaps less," the 1854-D Type I gold dollar is still tough coin. The estimates to range from 80 (Coin Facts) to 100 to 125 (Doug Winter). Compare that to the rarity of the key dates for most series like the 1909-S-VDB cent and 1916-D Mercury Dime (thousands known), this coin can be called "rare.'

If you look at the Red Book listings for the 1803 Small Date half dime, you might think it is only slightly rarer than the 1803 Large Date coin. That is not the case. The total estimated population is in the 25 to 30 ranage, which makes it of equal rarity to the 1802 half dime. Of course the 1803 Small Date is a die variety as opposed to the 1802, which is a date. That makes for a HUGE price difference. Still the coin is rare, and if you are looking to complete a Red Book set of these coins, this one will give you more trouble that you might think.

1803 Small Date Half Dime

And as a comparison, the 1803 Large Date Half Dime. There are two minor varieties of this coin. This piece is the plate coin from Walter Breen's Encyclopedia.

Love the 1803 Large date half dime and 1854-d gold 1$. I never knew there was such a rare variety of 1803 half dime. I appreciate the education!

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a lead one in picture.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Got this one recently...

Very nice! 👍

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2022 3:57PM

@coinkat said:

The only 1699 6d plumes graded by our host

I posted both in part to illustrate that these two coins are scarce with a highly questionable surviving population in a state of preservation worthy of submitting

As someone who is into UK coins of this era what exactly do the plumes signify?

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options

@Omegaraptor

Great question... I believe plumes exist on certain coins to reflect that the silver for that coinage came from Wales.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    @Omegaraptor

Great question... I believe plumes exist on certain coins to reflect that the silver for that coinage came from Wales.

Thank you. Very interesting numismatic tidbit for sure! Will look out for these unmarked in American dealer inventories, lol.

I wear a VF (well, it’s holed and bent) 1701 William III 6d on my necklace, but it doesn’t have plumes. It does seem that while the 1696-97 coinage is very common, 1698-1701 is actually somewhat tough to come by.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options

@Omegaraptor

William III coinage can be complicated- the 1697 Crown is prohibitively rare. There are different mints that issued 1/2 Crowns, shillings and 6 pence coinage. And there are some unusual varieties within each series.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file