Options

Silver spot vs premium tracking thread

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    I can't control what others choose to do. @Sparrow99 purchased gutter under spot. I congratulated him / her, you seem to be the only one that has a problem with it. RGDS!

The two forum IDs are the only two that ever wrote "RGDS!".
    And Sparrow99 has all of 5 posts in history.
    That is why they seem to be one and the same.

There actually are several who have ended their comments with "rgds". Utilization of the search feature will bear this out.

Imagine the discourse when it is discovered that derryb and I are actually one. 🙂

You and Derryb no way. Derryb and taxmad quite possibly.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

had to switch accounts. Yep

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

There actually are several who have ended their comments with "rgds". Utilization of the search feature will bear this out.

How many used all capital letters and an exclamation point as in "RGDS!" ?
    Only the two.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

How many used all capital letters and an exclamation point as in "RGDS!" ?
    Only the two.

Detective Carr. lol

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today's date: 8/12/22

Putting things into perspective, the Apmex premiums on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% is 69.1%, on generic 1 oz. rounds is 28.7% and on ASEs is 72.0%.

In June, the Apmex premiums on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% was 37.3%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it was 24.2% and on ASEs it was 69.8%.

Looks like the market is still at odds with Crimex, uh, Comex.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2022 10:17AM

ASEs are $4.5 less than when the thread started. Spot is down $6.

Losses abound.

If it's the premium we are so excited about then how can one just buy premium without being saddled with the metal?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

Assuming that the Apmex price for a small quantity was about $2.00 higher than their best price as it is right now, the premium on ASEs back when the thread started was 52.5%, compared to 72.0% which it was less than 2 hours ago.

The premium has increased substantially during a declining market. This seems pretty normal, as most silver buyers are reluctant to take a loss in the short run.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

At this moment, there is $300 face of 90% silver on BST at a premium of 35%, compared to the current Apmex premium of 40.3% for a $500 face bag.

For comparative purposes, this thread is based on Apmex, but the private market is a bit lower premium, which is pretty normal.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@cohodk said:
    ASEs are $4.5 less than when the thread started. Spot is down $6.

sounds like premiums have increased. B)

• Options
    edited August 12, 2022 10:48AM

@cohodk said:

If it's the premium we are so excited about then how can one just buy premium without being saddled with the metal?

The excitement over higher silver premiums is the fact that it establishes a break of physical metal from being saddled by spot price. Sellers and buyers of ASEs are saying "$crew the paper traders and price fixers." This sentiment has held up for many months. How long before other physical silver products (and gold) see the same disconnect?

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    Today's date: 8/12/22

Putting things into perspective, the Apmex premiums on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% is 69.1%, on generic 1 oz. rounds is 28.7% and on ASEs is 72.0%.

In June, the Apmex premiums on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% was 37.3%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it was 24.2% and on ASEs it was 69.8%.

Looks like the market is still at odds with Crimex, uh, Comex.

Keep on buying at OVERPREMIUMmex. LOL they can teach dollas but apparently for a select few they cannot teach sense.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2022 5:42PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

The excitement over higher silver premiums is the fact that it establishes a break of physical metal from being saddled by spot price. Sellers and buyers of ASEs are saying "$crew the paper traders and price fixers." This sentiment has held up for many months. How long before other physical silver products (and gold) see the same disconnect?

The buyer of an ASE at beginning of this thread is down almost 15%. And that's at full retail offer price. If he sells at wholesale bid hes down double that.

What was it again that's broken?

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    At this moment, there is $300 face of 90% silver on BST at a premium of 35%, compared to the current Apmex premium of 40.3% for a $500 face bag.

For comparative purposes, this thread is based on Apmex, but the private market is a bit lower premium, which is pretty normal.

And it still wont sell.

• Options

@cohodk said:

The buyer of an ASE at beginning of this thread is down almost 15%. And that's at full retail offer price. If he sells at wholesale bid hes down double that.

Because of declining spot price, not growing premiums.

What was it again that's broken?

Spot price mechanism. When supply is unlimited (paper contracts from thin air) and demand is false (spoofing) there is no legitimate market.

• Options
    edited August 12, 2022 6:10PM

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

And it still wont sell.

If not it will be because the seller won't break up the rather large $6K lot without raising the currently very competitive premium.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

And it still wont sell.

If not it will be because the seller won't break up the rather large $6K lot without raising the currently very competitive premium.

Stack On! lol

• Options

Keep on buying at OVERPREMIUMmex. LOL they can teach dollas but apparently for a select few they cannot teach sense.

Pay attention. The basis for this thread in tracking premiums is Apmex pricing.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2022 6:45AM

.> @derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

And it still wont sell.

$6000 is a lot? Heck no. If spot was at $27 it would disappear in a heartbeat. Whats a lot is the "goodwill" attached to it. I'm sure taxman could help us a bit with that concept and how it impacts a balance sheet.

This in no way shape or form should be construed as belittling the seller or his wares. We are merely commenting on perceived value and the market in general.

• Options

Hello, I am new here, but been stacking for 20 yrs. I am looking for a forum to buy and sell more bullion type of silver. I like to diversify, so sometimes I buy too much of one thing, and ready to move into some other products. Any suggestions? Thank You.

• Options

@oldman1950 - Welcome. There is a B-S-T (Buy-Sell-Trade forum) here at PCGS, and there is also a BST thread here in the precious metals forum.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Greg Hunter this weekend's interview with Bill Holter:

Premiums as follows:

100 oz silver bars @ $3 to $4 over spot

Silver Eagles @ $14 to $15 over spot, if you can find them

Gold Eagles @ $9 over spot

pre-1933 gold, common date, certified - barely available at all

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:

Theres a whole box of em available for $5 over.

• Options

please show me where to get gold eagles for $9 over spot

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on buying more tomorrow. Dollar cost averaging.

So, If I were you guys, I'd short the market.

• Options

please show me where to get gold eagles for $9 over spot

Try Miles Franklin - Bill Holter is a broker there. How much over spot are you finding?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2022 12:59PM

How much over spot are you finding?

Never mind, I just looked at Apmex. They are only $170 over spot, (if you buy 100 pieces). Try Miles Franklin anyway.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:

Theres a whole box of em available for $5 over.

You need to back up your statement with some evidence.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 6:33AM

Today's date: 9/23/22

As of today, the Apmex premium on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% is 48.2%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it is 32.6% and on ASEs it is 74.4% - based on Apmex's sell price vs. Kitco's bid price.

(The percentages are slightly less using Apmex's spot price as a reference, which I've found to be erroneously high - so I don't use it - I am using Kitco's bid as the denominator instead.)

On August 12th, the Apmex premiums on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% the premium was 69.1%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it was 28.7% and on ASEs it was 72.0%.

The trend on premiums still appears to be going higher over time.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52: it is interesting to track sell/buy ratios, but it would be more interesting to relate them both to some consistent “spot”.

For small quantity sales, does anyone have access to data on kitco (or other) buy to spot over the past few years. Has it kept up with the sell/spot premium?

Higashiyama
  • Options

A better picture might include both the buy/sell spread and the premium over spot as time goes by, but my objective was mainly to get a handle on what the premiums are doing in the context of this struggling market.

If the supply is limited for whatever reason and sellers are holding fast such that physical metal can't be had at reasonable premiums, it could validate the supposition that Comex just can't obtain sufficient inventory and is dancing around the issue as long as possible.

I guess it would be useful to know how much Comex is actually shipping out, compared to previous periods.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I'd like to know actual prices paid. Has anyone on the forum bought an ASE in the last 30 days and if so what did you pay?

• Options

@cohodk said:
    I'd like to know actual prices paid. Has anyone on the forum bought an ASE in the last 30 days and if so what did you pay?

$18 each. They were those stupid painted ones, but a bit of acetone took the paint right off. RGDS!

• Options

gutter paint

• Options

@derryb said:
    gutter paint

Yup just when you thought there wasn't a way to make gutter metal any less attractive. Add gutter paint or Taco Bell sauce. THKS!

• Options
    edited October 3, 2022 10:25AM

I thought it might be meaningful to document the premiums on a day like today, while silver is up $1.60 (8.4%).

As of today, the Apmex premium on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% is 55.1%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it is 32.7% and on ASEs it is 89% - based on Apmex's sell price vs. Kitco's bid price.

On September 23, the Apmex premium on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% was 48.2%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it was 32.6% and on ASEs it was 74.4% - based on Apmex's sell price vs. Kitco's bid price.

(The percentages are slightly less using Apmex's spot price as a reference, which I've found to be erroneously high - so I don't use it - I am using Kitco's bid as the denominator instead.)

On August 12th, the Apmex premiums on a nominal small qty (10 oz or so) of 90% the premium was 69.1%, on generic 1 oz. rounds it was 28.7% and on ASEs it was 72.0%.

So, it does appear that silver premiums on smaller amounts of silver bullion continue to rise significantly. What does this mean? It means that silver isn't being sold at spot by anyone who has physical - not today anyway.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    What does this mean?

It means folk who buy jelly beans one at a time pay more per bean than those that buy the whole bag.

And while there are lots of bags available, folk are only comfortable buying one bean at a time.

And some folk think Jelly belly are better than brachs.

• Options

Either you miss the point of my question entirely, or you are doing your usual besmirching - which is how it appears to me.

The question isn't whether you get a better deal buying in small increments or buying in bulk.

I'm going to leave it for you to ponder what the point of my question might possibly be, as if you cared - which you obviously don't.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Creating a new point is one's way of creating distraction from the original point. Those that agree with the new point have been distracted.

• Options

The funny thing is - it's his own thread that he couldn't resist blowing up.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Either you miss the point of my question entirely, or you are doing your usual besmirching - which is how it appears to me.

The question isn't whether you get a better deal buying in small increments or buying in bulk.

I'm going to leave it for you to ponder what the point of my question might possibly be, as if you cared - which you obviously don't.

Dude. You have your opinion and I have mine. Seems more like you are "besmirching". I do care. I just dont follow your reasoning because it appears to be based more on assumption and supposition.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    The funny thing is - it's his own thread that he couldn't resist blowing up.

What's funny is this is derby's thread. I took his ball and he pouted so I gave it back to him.

Since this thread was started folj have been able to buy silver in any form at lower and lower dollar cost. This thread has not proven to show increased demand, nor does it show higher prices being paid. It has not shown any disconnect between spot and physical as both have moved lockstep.

What's funny is that you believe otherwise.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 5:16AM

@derryb said:
    Creating a new point is one's way of creating distraction from the original point. Those that agree with the new point have been distracted.

Yes...one must always be the first to tell the lie (or supposition). That sets the foundation of belief. We've seen this played out in real life. Now the truth doesnt matter and facts are ignored.

Bizarro world indeed.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    This thread has not proven to show increased demand, nor does it show higher prices being paid. It has not shown any disconnect between spot and physical as both have moved lockstep.

Then you are beyond blind.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 10:40AM

When this thread started it took $42+ to buy an ASE, last week on this forum they were $30. Spot went down, physical went down--any by nearly the same percentage.

Blind are those who live in caves, bunkers or have head in sand.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/the-olm-the-blind-cave-salamander-that-lives-to-100#:~:text=It's the olm, a blind,the ability to sense electricity.

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 3:09PM

@cohodk said:

As the saying goes "It sure is dark down in the gutter". RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

By George, you're right! It does sorta look like a gutter.

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Oh snap! Back to where it was 15 years ago. Luvin me SLV (and every other asset on planet earth the last 2 days). LOL :sunglasses:

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said: "Luvin me SLV (and every other asset on planet earth the last 2 days)."

Including Credit Suisse stock!

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2022 7:18PM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Oh snap! Back to where it was 15 years ago. Luvin me SLV (and every other asset on planet earth the last 2 days). LOL :sunglasses:

So you hate silver ("gutter"), but you "Luvin" SLV ?

Here is some news that I will actually enjoy bringing to you:

Over its entire life span SLV has ALWAYS performed WORSE than silver. This is because the amount of silver in each "share" of SLV has, and always will, decline over time. And SLV has no premium, unless you consider an increasingly negative premium a "premium".

• Options
    edited October 4, 2022 7:27PM

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

So you hate silver (so called "gutter"), but you "Luvin" SLV ?

Here is some news that I will actually enjoy bringing to you:

Over its entire life span SLV has ALWAYS performed WORSE than silver. This is because the amount of silver in each "share" of SLV has, and always will, decline over time.

I click a button to buy and click a button to sell. It takes seconds, no time fumbling around on eBay trying to recoup premiums, no trips to the vultures at the LCS. Time is $$$$. Besides this is the precious metals fourm Au etc. Gutter is not a PM, hell it's a byproduct of copper mining. The got to pump it to dump it. LOL RGDS!