Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare coin: HA, GC or eBay best place to list it? 🤔

Sorry for another neub question,

One of my coins that I just got graded is a coin that’s one of only 4, it’s a MS69 1987 Lincoln penny. (Perhaps even more exciting, it doesn’t look like there’s even been a MS69 1987 penny out to auction, ever.)

Where is the best place to list this coin for it to find the right home? Since it’s potentially a more valuable penny than average, in your experience where would be the best place to list it?

Thanks again for your help!

Comments

• Options

There are collectors out there looking for fantastic examples. With such a small population it might be difficult to gain sufficient interest on eBay. HA could be an option even with their seller premium.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2022 4:57AM

@Davidcoins said:
    I’m so proud of myself for finding this coin, I’m thinking of keeping it hee hee…I’m definitely keeping the MS70 2005 penny I have coming back, it’s my first ‘perfect’ coin I’ve found and has graded, I’m considering keeping this one as well but I’m curious if I do decide to list it, where have people found the most success with coins valued $1k or more?

It depends on what it is. For a Lincoln Memorial cent, I'd be inclined to stick to eBay where I can control the action. If you consign to GC or Heritage, there is the possibility that it only sells for $100. It takes 2 people to make an auction.

MS70 or PR70 on the 2005 cent? There are no 70s in uncirculated grades while a Proof 70 would be fairly mundane.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2022 5:15AM

I would check auction archives on GC and Heritage for top pop modern Lincolns and see which have had better results.

Nice score, btw -- did you pluck that one out of a bag, roll, or mint set?

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

You got a heck of an eye .

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@RichieURich said:
    If it were my coin, I would contact Andy at Angel Dee's. He has clients who would want this kind of coin.

Excellent suggestion

I'd second that suggestion. Andy is one of the best...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pricing that one would be an interesting test. Here are a couple other dates and result.

1986 MS69 Red NGC Legend 8/27/20 $852 (pcgs price guide $12,500 ??? population 2)
    https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/70071652/1c-1986-ngc-ms69-rd/

1985 D MS69 Red Pop 10 All PCGS (pcgs price guide $2400)
    Legend Oct 2020 $1469
    Legend Jan 2019 $2468
    Legend May 2018 $2703
    Heritage April 2018 $3120

https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/73043801/1c-1985-d-pcgs-ms69-rd/
    https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/47237863/1c-1985-d-pcgs-ms69rd/
    https://legendauctions.hibid.com/lot/39508559/1c-1985-d-pcgs-ms69-rd/
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/lincoln-cents/small-cents/1985-d-1c-ms69-red-pcgs/a/1274-4619.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@logger7 said:
    Is it also graded red? Looks like there are four graded: https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1987-1c-rd/3065

Congratulations on your near perfect lucky cent coin find! How do you manage to find it?

Thank you for your kind comments! I found the 1987 MS69 penny in a Mint set that I inherited from a family friend, I got a bunch of mint sets from 1970-1999. Most of the coins don’t seem that great, but I’m still going through the sets I hope to find a few more high quality coins :)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Davidcoins said:
    I’m so proud of myself for finding this coin, I’m thinking of keeping it hee hee…I’m definitely keeping the MS70 2005 penny I have coming back, it’s my first ‘perfect’ coin I’ve found and has graded, I’m considering keeping this one as well but I’m curious if I do decide to list it, where have people found the most success with coins valued $1k or more?

It depends on what it is. For a Lincoln Memorial cent, I'd be inclined to stick to eBay where I can control the action. If you consign to GC or Heritage, there is the possibility that it only sells for $100. It takes 2 people to make an auction.

MS70 or PR70 on the 2005 cent? There are no 70s in uncirculated grades while a Proof 70 would be fairly mundane.

Satin Finish. I took the cert above and just started running the numbers. came across this:

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/45434552

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@Davidcoins said:
    Sorry for another neub question,

One of my coins that I just got graded is a coin that’s one of only 4, it’s a MS69 1987 Lincoln penny. (Perhaps even more exciting, it doesn’t look like there’s even been a MS69 1987 penny out to auction, ever.)

Where is the best place to list this coin for it to find the right home? Since it’s potentially a more valuable penny than average, in your experience where would be the best place to list it?

Thanks again for your help!

congratz on your order!

i would have said so sooner but we get some pretty crazy stuff from people with low post counts around here but it seems you are legit and really raised the bar on at least a couple perhaps a few pops for zlincons and i wanted to say so. :+1:

SOOOOO close on your 05-D SP69RD - in 70, the price guide lists it as just about 3x the P in SP70.

if you are so inclined, would you consider posting your link to the shared order for these coins? either now or later depending on your plans. appreciate the consideration. some (many?) of us like seeing shared orders for gratz/learning/analysis etc.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DavidcoinsDavidcoins Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 1:37AM

@LanceNewmanOCC

if you are so inclined, would you consider posting your link to the shared order for these coins? either now or later depending on your plans. appreciate the consideration. some (many?) of us like seeing shared orders for gratz/learning/analysis etc.

Is this what you mean by sharing the order?

Shared URL is: https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/22687887

• Options

@Davidcoins said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC

Is this what you mean by sharing the order?

Shared URL is: https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/22687887

ya, that's it. thanks for sharing. :)

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

For modern top pops Ive seen Great collection do a great job on such. Ebay is for sure out.

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score. Collectors often forget the high grade modern coins. There is definitely value to be found. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2022 10:58AM

@Davidcoins said:

@RichieURich said:
    If it were my coin, I would contact Andy at Angel Dee's. He has clients who would want this kind of coin.

Thank you for suggesting Angel Dee’s. It turns out they are scheduled to be at a coin show in Long Beach this week, and I live in Los Angeles so I’m going to try and go down to the show to see him in person. Thank you very much!

Also this week at the Long Beach Expo is The Penny Lady (booth 529).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

Thank you, I'll go talk with the Penny Lady as well. I'm going to go tomorrow, it's my first coin show so I'm excited.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Did you see anything interesting in my order, anything I should we aware of or something I might have missed since I'm new?

I really appreciate the feedback and insight!

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Great score, David!
    Did you find this coin in a bu roll or '87 mint set?
    Judging by last week's GC results your coin might bring five figures.
    Three PCGS MS69RD Zincolns (84P, 86P, & 86-D) all brought $10,000/+.
    Sell your coin through GC, hands down.
    Ca-ching!

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greatcollections is also at the Long Beach show, so you could just hand it to them if that ends up being your preferred method

• Options

@Davidcoins said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Did you see anything interesting in my order, anything I should we aware of or something I might have missed since I'm new?

I really appreciate the feedback and insight!

nothing to add. you're getting lots of advice about selling in the US coin forum section to get you where you need to go.

• Options

@Cuprinkor said:

What a difference on the 86P.
    An NGC sold two years ago for $852. Yeah, two years ago and an NGC but 852 to 10K plus!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did very well at Gerry Fortin Rare Coins. He only takes 9.5% with excellent pictures and explanations. You can look at what he has sold coins for. My rare Liberty Seated dimes went for well north of PCGS Coin Facts prices.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@semikeycollector said:
    I did very well at Gerry Fortin Rare Coins. He only takes 9.5% with excellent pictures and explanations. You can look at what he has sold coins for. My rare Liberty Seated dimes went for well north of PCGS Coin Facts prices.

Gerry has another really big Seated auction coming up next month I believe. Some top pop coins if I remember correctly.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

@semikeycollector said:

Gerry has another really big Seated auction coming up next month I believe. Some top pop coins if I remember correctly.

Hi PCGSCACGold,

Gerry will put coins in an auction or will consign them directly. I did a direct consignment.

• Options

@1madman said:
    Greatcollections is also at the Long Beach show, so you could just hand it to them if that ends up being your preferred method

Thanks Madman -- I'm going to the Long Beach show today, so if the coin arrives in time from FedEx I'll bring it with me.

I'm planning to talk to Andy as well, to get some advice from him about selling coins (I'm new to coins), but I'll definitely swing by GC and talk with them!

I would love to get 10k+ for this coin, wow, that would be amazing.... 🤞🥰🍀

• Options

If you are thinking of selling, then a few other things to consider.
    The Red color can slowly change on "copper" with time which might impact sale value later.
    The population of the coin and grade could go up with time which might impact sale value later.
    If at auction, then there is no guarantee of final price / bid. There are reserves but to high can result in no bids. Talk about this with those you mentioned and versus selling outright. Also understand what part of the auction price you will receive if auctioned.

Hope the show trip goes well.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 9:52AM

GC.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DavidcoinsDavidcoins Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited September 30, 2022 7:18AM

@lilolme said:
    If you are thinking of selling, then a few other things to consider.
    The Red color can slowly change on "copper" with time which might impact sale value later.
    The population of the coin and grade could go up with time which might impact sale value later.
    If at auction, then there is no guarantee of final price / bid. There are reserves but to high can result in no bids. Talk about this with those you mentioned and versus selling outright. Also understand what part of the auction price you will receive if auctioned.

Hope the show trip goes well.

Thank you very much, I'm looking forward to going to the show. Thank you also for your notes, most of it im not too worried...you're right copper coins turn brown (they all eventually will), but with proper storage they can stay red a long time (this is part of the reason why we grade them with companies like PCGS, to help preserve them for decades into the future :)

Population for coins will always evolve and change, and you're correct, with new discoveries, coins will be added, but you're also forgetting that coins get lost as well -- some coins get misplaced or destroyed somehow -- so while some coins get added, some will always disappear over the years as well --

And you're right about the auction selling..sometimes it takes awhile for a coin to find the right home :) i just started coin collecting a few months ago, and I had a 1958 PR69 Jefferson Nickel on eBay that sold for much more than the 'PCGS price guide' amount.

(I contacted PCGS about the auction, I even sent them a link, but they didn't add the auction to their website!)

At the time, PCGS listed 1958 PR69 nickel for $180 in value, but since it was only 1 of 8 I felt it was more valuable, so I listed it higher...someone actually sent me a private note about the coin being priced too high, but I didn't drop the price -- the first time I listed the coin it didn't sell, but then the second time I listed it, it did sell...

It just took time for the coin to find the right home ❤️

Sometimes it's patience...i would rather hold on to my coins than sell them for a lot less than they're worth, maybe it will take longer, but that's okay...

However, finding this 1987 MS69 penny is a new category for me, because I've never had a coin this valuable before...it's one thing to sell a coin for $400 (or even $1,000), but it's another category all together for $5k+...I want to make sure I'm doing it correctly, people who pay thousands of dollars for a coin expect a certain level of service, which is why I came to the forum to get advice from everyone, and I really appreciate all of the feedback :)

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC is the best way to go on a coin like this. All others would be a fixed price sale.
    If you list it on GC the listing fee is $10, you can start the auction at whatever price you want, I recommend 80% of value. With GC there is NO SELLERS FEE over $1001. If the coin doesn't sell the 1st time they automatically relist it, they will do this 5 times for the same listing fee. This a the best place for this type of coin
    IMO

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    GC is the best way to go on a coin like this. All others would be a fixed price sale.
    If you list it on GC the listing fee is $10, you can start the auction at whatever price you want, I recommend 80% of value. With GC there is NO SELLERS FEE over $1001. If the coin doesn't sell the 1st time they automatically relist it, they will do this 5 times for the same listing fee. This a the best place for this type of coin
    IMO

What do you mean by “All others would be a fixed price sale”?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

All others that are not an auction site!
    Is that better...................

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to remember, and it isn’t fun to remember, is you may hit a threshold and have to deal with a 1099. It is income and as a hobby you’ll be expected to pay 28% tax on it.

So whatever you choose to do make sure you have all your financial contingencies considered.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    All others that are not an auction site!
    Is that better...................

Thanks for the clarification.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Track all expenses and prepare for the tax hit. Could have State taxes due as well.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cuprinkor said:
    Great score, David!
    Did you find this coin in a bu roll or '87 mint set?
    Judging by last week's GC results your coin might bring five figures.
    Sell your coin through GC, hands down.
    Ca-ching!

Based on this, I would want close to 5 figures for the 87-P from a dealer, otherwise consign to GC. Consigning the 2005 SP70 to GC will probably maximize value from that coin as well.

• Options

Actually it’s common coin in rare grade, registry collectors would be interested, maybe sell it to D L Hansen. He only have MS68

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Just consign your coin to GC and let the rest take care of itself. Those GC bidders who are interested will find it.

• Options

SOOOOOO
    What did you decide to do with your coin?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me and the material I do - GC. I believe they offer the option to send a coin to CAC also.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    For me and the material I do - GC. I believe they offer the option to send a coin to CAC also.

You can't send a modern to CAC.

For coins that are CAC eligible, Stack's and Heritage also offer submission.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file