Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A sudden huge jump in value! UPDATE,AGAIN: it sky rocketed even HIGHER!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2023 1:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Many of you may know about my purchase of this 1811 Capped Bust Half?
Well, If not. I picked this up at a previous Chicago Show. I paid $250.
Now I know how price guides work, however, I just checked PCGS's guide for my coin.
Well,It jumped from the $250 to $375!
Wow, why the sudden increase? Does anyone have a clue? Thanks
I 've been seriously thinking to resend it to our host for maybe an upgrade? The coin certainly appears to be better than the 20?

:*
What a pleasant surprise!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know but,
    This one sold for $335 in July of this year

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over the last 2 years pretty much all the coins I have registered in my inventory have gone up on average about 30% according to PCGS. I would consider myself fortunate to get the price I paid for them 2-5 years ago. Don't read too much into it. It likely means that there have been a few higher price sales recently for CAC or above average looking pieces causing the price increase.

I saw my first overall value decrease in my inventory total this week for the first time in about 2 years. Some of my more common gold pieces dropped in value as they are finally catching up to the price drop of gold that has been going down for the last 6 months.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    A very solid VF 20 but probably not good enough to merit an upgrade to a 30. I'd leave it as is. You have already spent your money on it don't waste any more money by playing the upgrade game.

Agree wholeheartedly. This piece is nice for what it is in the grade number it has been assigned but does not qualify to be called choice. Leave it be.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

They know you got it so that's the price jump j/k

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

...I'm hoping that scratch is on the slab and not the coin.

Yes, it is on the holder, thanks
    ;)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prices are up on many coin series. The Seated Liberty halves also show dramatic price increases in Coin Prices. Coins that were worth about $450 5 years ago are now worth $1200. Buying the handful of coins I need to finish the collection is like trying to catch a train already leaving the station.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice coin, and looks good for the grade. I would not sink more money into it in an effort to get a higher grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@OAKSTAR said:

...I'm hoping that scratch is on the slab and not the coin.

Yes, it is on the holder, thanks
    ;)

👍🏻

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I agree with both @291fifth and @OAKSTAR in that I'd leave it as is AND being leery with the TPG price guides/values. I too would check the sold prices on Ebay, Great Collections, and the current Greysheet GPC Market Review if comparing price guides.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like said above, price guide is one thing, real numbers are the other

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey
    That’s a real nice coin. I’m with those who suggest you “leaver alone “
    I believe that a coins worth what you can get for it. Ebay sold is my first go to. Anyway looks like you have done well for yourself 😁

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey, I was happy for you when you got it, and happy to see you still have it. Keep her like she is, and keep her longer. CBH's have went up well the last couple of years. I doubt you could replace it for what you have in it, and I doubt we're going backwards on prices.

As many have said, guides are guides, but the real world says CBH's have moved up. 50%? Maybe. Maybe not. But again, they HAVE moved up.

As for the grade of yours, while I haven't seen her in hand I would grade her between a F18 and a VF22, so not worth the try IMO. But that does make her a Fighter jet Bro'! ;)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic US coins, unlike stocks, only go up in price and value so if you are considering a purchase, buy now!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 23, 2022 5:37AM

Edited, since I had taken a joke seriously.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    A very solid VF 20 but probably not good enough to merit an upgrade to a 30. I'd leave it as is. You have already spent your money on it don't waste any more money by playing the upgrade game.

Actually, an upgrade would be to VF25.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:
    Classic US coins, unlike stocks, only go up in price and value so if you are considering a purchase, buy now!

Clearly, classic U.S. coins don’t “only go up in price and value”. Your statement would be laughable if it weren’t so irresponsible.

I was just joking, Mark. I figured everyone would see through that.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:

Clearly, classic U.S. coins don’t “only go up in price and value”. Your statement would be laughable if it weren’t so irresponsible.

I was just joking, Mark. I figured everyone would see through that.

I didn’t, because you tend to be rather optimistic at times. 😉 But I’m relieved to hear that - thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭

You gotta ask yourself what are price guide prices used for?
    Determining fees charged?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RegistryCoin said:
    You gotta ask yourself what are price guide prices used for?
    Determining fees charged?

I was thinking the same thing about accuracy or relevance of a price guide that has no real world connection?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@dsessom said:
    It looks like the market on these has really taken off over the past year! I noticed the same with Liberty V nickels that I collect. My collection has nearly doubled in value over the past year to 18 months.

Yep, add another $25!
    https://www.pcgs.com/pricehistory#/?=6097-20

• Options

Last Check,

It flew up to

$400!

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

A couple more bumps, and you have doubled your investment! :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 3:07PM

Coin values need to go up substantially, every year, just to match today’s inflation. This is something that many younger collectors have never experienced.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Coin values need to go up substantially, every year, just to match today’s inflation. This is something that many younger collectors have never experienced.

This is correct. It’s not only that the coin is worth that much more, it’s that the dollar is worth that much less.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before you know it……

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything has had the price jump up a lot lately @joeykoins .The grocery store comes to mind.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything is up.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

G6 1876-CC

Percent change in price over the last four years+ for 1876-CC in EF40 & G6

VF35 (IMO) 1876-CC with a story

This coin was a BIN or BO. I offered the seller $180 for the coin a while ago. They said "No way. This is about a $300 coin now!" He then put it up for auction and I won the coin for $170. The PCGS grade for this coin is about to be posted any day now. I grade it VF35.

This coin is likely why I asked about CC coins and possible leniency in their grading. The shield lines look good but the E in LIBERTY is weak. Does LIBERTY strike up as well for CC halves as halves from other mints?

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file