Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

No corrosion coin 25c 1792

NeveroddoreveNNeveroddoreveN Posts: 106
edited September 16, 2022 8:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Date at trunk Wright at left eye level all eagles same as corroded coin before
cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/o5/hdvrzp6xfdql.jpeg "")

Comments

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ummmmm... you realize there's no way this coin can be a pre-1800 issue, right?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Oh dear, here we go.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

REALLY?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is truly amazing is the number of replies a thread such as this gets... dog piling on the obvious.

And when a truly amazing coin surfaces on a thread here... and in some instances a coin that has never been seen here before...few seem interested enough to even leave a comment. One could at least acknowledge simply... wow... never seen that before did not even know it existed until now.

Why is it that it is so easy to pounce on all that is wrong and simply fail to acknowledge what goes right?

Yes... I suppose I am hijacking the thread, but I will argue it is in the greater good and will hopefully resonate with those that choose to participate here in an effort to make this so-called forum what it was intended to be and not what it currently is.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    What is truly amazing is the number of replies a thread such as this gets... dog piling on the obvious.

And when a truly amazing coin surfaces on a thread here... and in some instances a coin that has never been seen here before...few seem interested enough to even leave a comment. One could at least acknowledge simply... wow... never seen that before did not even know it existed until now.

Why is it that it is so easy to pounce on all that is wrong and simply fail to acknowledge what goes right?

Yes... I suppose I am hijacking the thread, but I will argue it is in the greater good and will hopefully resonate with those that choose to participate here in an effort to make this so-called forum what it was intended to be and not what it currently is.

I think there is the hope that if the OP hears the same assessment from enough people then he'll stop with the nonsense.

But, that is apparently a futile effort. :/

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:

Could be because this is the US Coin forum and you posted a foreign coin? And then said:

@coinkat said:

>

Your Welcome

which (in writing, without tone of voice) comes across as a little arrogant.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the point of posts like this?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@lermish said:

@coinkat said:

Could be because this is the US Coin forum and you posted a foreign coin? And then said:

@coinkat said:

>

Your Welcome

So his post was really a veiled reference to a thread of his about a foreign coin that he posted in the US Coin Forum?

Was it the Churchill Crown doubled die?

If so, it was a nice coin, and perhaps a first for PCGS to slab them, but I've known about them for years so it was hardly a discovery piece of monumental proportions.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@lermish said:

@coinkat said:

@coinkat said:

>

Your Welcome

So his post was really a veiled reference to a thread of his about a foreign coin that he posted in the US Coin Forum?

Was it the Churchill Crown doubled die?

If so, it was a nice coin, and perhaps a first for PCGS to slab them, but I've known about them for years so it was hardly a discovery piece of monumental proportions.

That's my suspicion. It is a nice coin! But this is not the forum for it.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

I believe it’s called “trolling”.

I’ve never seen anyone discover so many alleged 1792 Large Cents that were never produced!

Was anyone else looking? :)

• Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 11:00AM

A wonderful example of J-0! :D

• Options

@lermish
    @JBK

My commentary reflects several posts that have numismatic integrity that are more often than not ignored. But Lermish cited the Churchill Crown post as a coin (as a possible reason for my commentary) that essentially did not belong on the US forum and JBK basically agreed... which is fine. So let me take this opportunity to explain...

It seems a day does not pass on the US Coin forum where the question of either a double die/machine doubling is raised. This Churchill Crown was submitted through the variety attribution service and PCGS correctly acknowledged this coin as a DDR- and this marks the first time that the Churchill DDR has been acknowledged by our host. That is a big moment. The photographs were taken by the PCGS photography team and the images are worthy sharing for educational purposes in terms of identifying double die characteristics.

To the best of my knowledge, 2 have been graded by TPG services. A third example exists as the discovery was made either by Alan Herbert or Ken Potter years ago... and perhaps someone here can shed more light on the question.

My "Your Weclome" closing merely highlights and reflects back at the Churchill Crown and the lack of acceptance within the numismatic community. And I thought that connection was well illustrated by the negative quote about the coin which was included.

So this is not a post about arrogance it is about education, sharing what has been found to create record, and to give collectors an opportunity to search for what they did not even know existed.

Best of luck in your numismatic endeavors

• Options

I'll defer to you on the history of the Churchill DD, but I've known of it's existence for years.

I've looked through the Churchill crowns that I have but I realize the chance of finding one is extremely small.

I do want to get one some day.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I think I see it now...

The coin may actually be GOLD!

• Options

I have known about it for years and hopefully that will change which was part of the reasoning for sharing- As I wrote in that thread...

Seems that a photograph will have the last word and so many will never look at the Churchill Crown the same way again...

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

That "9" looks like a mushroom, which might explain a few things...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 3:17PM

Hey SlickCoins (trolling under the new name neveroddoreven). At least change up your routine. Posting new nonsense coins with similar outrageous claims every few weeks is what you did previously. It's not hard to to see the similarities.

I hope the moderators determine that this is an alt membership and act accordingly

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭

Better get that one off to PCGS as quick as possible!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excessive wear, graffiti, hole.... cannot be 17XX.... Oh well... Another ID to avoid opening. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2022 5:56AM

I am surprised no one has mentioned the HOLE! That makes it rare right?🤣😂

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have flagged this person. Hopefully the Moderator will take action on this account. 🤞

• Options

@messydesk said:
    You might want to invest in this to help bring out the date on your coins.

You've heard of Nic-a-date for nickels, and this must be Punch-a-date.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@lkenefic said:
    I think I see it now...

The coin may actually be GOLD!

No way, it has to be a unique pattern, struck in plutonium.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

It's called trolling for laughs. Frankly, I find many of these threads to be hilarious.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file