Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "keystone" of my collection . . . . . post yours . . . .

ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

A "keystone" to one's collection is a coin or medal at the top of the collection, one that given one's current and / or anticipated future economic condition, will probably never lose its status as the pinnacle piece.

Your keystone could due to its design elegance, its condition, its rarity, its price, or any combination of the former.

I've been able to acquire quite a few "nice" pieces over the past few years, but I don't feel that I ever captured a true keystone piece - until this week.

Here is my latest arrival and the keystone of my exonumia collection. It's a very rare 1805 medal by Friedrich Loos. It commemorates Dr. Franz Joseph Gall, the creator of the pseudo science of phrenology.

Only one has been certified by PCGS.

Let's see YOUR keystone.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coins!
    I really don’t have one coin that I consider the keystone or centerpiece of my collection. No junk, but nothing that I find myself in awe over. Just a collection of mediocrity.

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@humanssuck said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

@humanssuck said:

Awesome 1895- love the black and white/ what’s the grade?

Thanks. I collect morgans and always wanted one, and when I saw that one I just had to have it. Its a 65+DCAM

That is one amazing 65+DCAM- I would have guessed 66/66+

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had no idea when I started this thread . . . . .

( stolen from @Bullsitter )

@ricko said:
    I have had a few 'keystone' items over the years - still have them. In my current collecting mode - that I have practiced for the last couple of decades - I tend towards 'special' acquisitions. Could be design, condition, date, metal - something that significantly appeals to me beyond the usual coin or medal. Currently, the keystone seat is occupied by this one.

For many years, it was this one....

Cheers, RickO

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Great thread- here’s mine!

@Bullsitter said:

My favorite piece, die cracks on reverse.

@DCW said:
    Great post! I just love seeing everyone's treasured pieces. Especially if they are a part of a focused collection. My "keystone" or "cornerstone" for my core collection, which is the tokens and medals of Joseph H. Merriam are these two pieces:

As you can see, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum, though it might surprise you that the bottom one is probably worth twice as much as the top one!
    The first represents the original storecard of Merriam, featuring the iconic "Good For A Scent" die. This is a scarce token, but in the realm of exonumia not really all that rare. What drives the price is its popularity. Even mainstream coin collectors sometimes find the urge to add it to their collections, and there aren't nearly enough to go around.
    The bottom piece is considered unique after nearly 160 years of Civil War Token collecting. Coupled with the same dog obverse but now muled with the only known example of the "Excelsior Club" die, it was extremely fortuitous and costly to acquire this piece.
    Both are from the collection of the late, great numismatist, Stephen L. Tanenbaum.

@alefzero said:
    Maybe my 1798 BB-114/B-26 in AU55

But in terms of absolute rarity, 1900 Lafayette DuVall-4E PCGS AU50

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@SmEagle1795 said:
    My centerpiece, one of the finest Eid Mar denarii, struck by Brutus to commemorate his assassination of Julius Caesar on the Ides of March, 44BC:

God, I love this piece!

Me too- always wanted one haven’t had the correct opportunity

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread.

Fantastic coins.

The best of the best in my collection would compare to the coins shown in this thread like a 50 year old one person row boat to the newest, biggest, fastest yacht of a Saudi prince or a Russian oligarch.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2022 2:56PM

[(ricko'sNoTone1995wProofASE.jpg ""

B)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the last pic with Monticello off center best!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    This is a hard act to follow... This is the keystone of my modest Morgan collection.

I love that Morgan! 👍

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola I really like that color and look on your 1802/1 $5. That is the way I like my old Gold to look. The 1838-D is not to shabby either. Looks more like a 64 to me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file