Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You won't believe what I got back in change last night

2fun2Bbad2fun2Bbad Posts: 110 ✭✭
edited September 7, 2022 3:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm not sure what foreign coin they minted the Jefferson nickel they gave me last night, maybe one of you do, but I would expect not too many exist. Any thoughts on what to do next would be helpful, thank you in advance!

Sorry about picture quality, not my strong suit, I have many just ask around lol

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin has vending machine wheel damage.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that the U. S. Mint did strike coins for some of its territories.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why the OP thinks this was minted on a foreign coin. :/

Yes, it looks weird, but it just appears to be PMD and environmental damage.

• Options

Jbk, if you actually blow up the picture and look, you wouldn't have that question because it's quite obvious, but I want to thank you and everyone else for looking and commenting as well.
    It is a 2000 D Jefferson nickel struck on a coin that isn't from here, do vending machines take nickels anymore? I'm sure that coin has been in many places, it's in mine now.
    Environmental damage? I think you Are referring to it's toning, it's quite pretty for an ugly coin I think...thanks everyone! Happy hunting!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is a one in 100,000 chance of finding a struck on a foreign planchet nickel or a one in ten chance of finding a nickel with environmental damage- which way would you think most would go with this?

(Think horses, not zebras.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    EldoEsqEldoEsq Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

LOl...the old "I know what I have."

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will tell me I'm wrong but trust me, your coin started out as a normal nickel and then suffered damage after it left the mint. It has no value beyond face.

• Options
    AdamLAdamL Posts: 165 ✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:

do vending machines take nickels anymore?

Yes.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2022 2:19PM

it's called post mint damage nothing more nothing less, i get those types of coins in change sometimes

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2022 1:50AM

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭

At first I thought cool, he found a quarter stamped onto a half dollar. Similar to the Mexican 20 Peso coin.

Then, after seeing the later photos I am not sure what you have???

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

@gonzer said:
    These posts are really getting old.

Yet somehow they keep drawing everyone in. The average post like this gets way more clicks and responses than the average non-trolling post from a new member asking a question.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 COMMON COINS WORTH BIG MONEY THAT COULD BE IN YOUR POCKET CHANGE!!
    https://youtu.be/tRmQR4gtpZ0

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

It didn’t leave the mint that way.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭

I'm impressed you actually got a half dollar back in your change!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you do any of the required steps before announcing a found error? What does it weigh? What is its diameter? What is it's thickness? Why are the rims of the nickel fitting perfectly on the coin? Why do you think enlarging it helps, it just shows the normal Jeff Nickel strike characteristics? Just to try and be helpful I would ask what are you seeing that makes you make the jump to overstruck on a foreign planchet? Give us a little help here. The DIAMETER: 21.20 millimeters WEIGHT: 5.00 grams. Help us to help you rather than striking out.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe you got that back in change last night.

• Options

I’m not saying a dang word🙄don’t want the sensitive type to be offended 🤔😒

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@justmenutty72 said:

So does this mean you think the nickel is something other than PMD?

If you posted what you think it is and more importantly, WHY you think it's something special, that goes much further than just throwing out a wild --- guess with no thoughts or data to support your opinion.

Even if your wrong, posting your reasoning is helpful for building a good reputation and can allow experienced members to provide feedback to help you learn

BTW I don't think members are "sensitive" or offended if they call out obvious incorrect guesses you've previously posted. It's important to make sure new collectors get accurate information and not to confuse them.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a 1975 Spanish twenty-five centavo struck on a 2006 nickel. Jefferson resembles Franco and he died in 1975.
    Maybe this belongs in World coin threads?

• Options
    edited September 7, 2022 7:20AM

@Fraz said:
    It is a 1975 Spanish twenty-five centavo struck on a 2006 nickel. Jefferson resembles Franco and he died in 1975.
    Maybe this belongs in World coin threads?

?????

I'm not sure if you're serious or just having fun. If it's for fun, you should probably add a couple emojis. The OP is new and might not realize you're screwing around

If your serious, you need to add data or evidence. A "I think it looks like...." Just doesn't cut in when you're proposing something as extremely unlikely as this.

If you are being serious, a little research would show that a Spanish 25 PESETA with Francos portrait is 26.5 mm according to Numista. That will not fit into the striking chamber of a 21.2 mm nickel.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster, I apologize that my goofing took up your time. Thank you for the tips.

• Options

@Fraz said:
    @Oldhoopster, I apologize that my goofing took up your time. Thank you for the tips.

No problem with the occasional funny response, IMO. Just make it clear. While it may be clear to most of us, it may confuse the new collector. Just my thoughts

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    So I'm glad it wasn't an aluminum penny, that guy must have received as much help as I have. Good thing the coin world has so many experts to "help" people understand the hobby better, I mean since you have offered nothing more than insults and childish remarks, you're the exact kind of help people are looking for when they come here. Are you all paid to insult harass and gang up on people who don't know more than you at a subject they came here seeking help for? If you aren't paid, then past enjoying trying to hurt people's feelings and make them give up, why would you respond? You have the choice to let the real adults teach.

I tend to not comment on these types of thread because I do not possess expertise and my amusement at the theories put forward doesn't really add much to the conversation. However since you have issues with people skills...

How about when you have a coin that you think may be interesting and you are requesting help with, you say, "I don't know what X is, can anyone help?" or "Is this coin X?" You'll typically receive very accurate responses of what your coin is or is not without snark.

You posited, with certainty, that your nickel was minted on a foreign coin.

@2fun2Bbad said:
    I'm not sure what foreign coin they minted the Jefferson nickel they gave me last night, maybe one of you do, but I would expect not too many exist.

That is a statement, a very VERY wrong statement, about what your coin is. If you lead with humility and ask for help, you'll get it. I do it all the time and people are mostly enormously helpful. If you lead with a ludicrously wrong statement to a board full of experts (real and so-called) you'll get the response you got.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope springs eternal.

Just not here.
    The Bass collection, 100 posts
    Parking lot PMD, 1,000 posts

Why lord?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@csdot said:
    At first I thought cool, he found a quarter stamped onto a half dollar. Similar to the Mexican 20 Peso coin.

Then, after seeing the later photos I am not sure what you have???

I gots me a 1938 nickel that was stamped on a 1993 silver dollar . . . . . .

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    So I'm glad it wasn't an aluminum penny, that guy must have received as much help as I have. Good thing the coin world has so many experts to "help" people understand the hobby better, I mean since you have offered nothing more than insults and childish remarks, you're the exact kind of help people are looking for when they come here. Are you all paid to insult harass and gang up on people who don't know more than you at a subject they came here seeking help for? If you aren't paid, then past enjoying trying to hurt people's feelings and make them give up, why would you respond? You have the choice to let the real adults teach.
    I'm sure if any of of you have children or grandchildren, you would be proud to see them act and treat a person as you have.
    I'm an expert on customer service where the actual definition of reflects the dictionary, perhaps you generous loving group of people should revisit, and become better people, because my road to being a good coin collector is far shorter than it would seem you have to becoming a decent human being, or did I wake up in 4th grade? I'm not one who thinks this is a place for your level of people skills, in fact you all should ask yourselves again why you are here, from this perspective it doesn't seem you are here to help. I recognize several of you and what you posted on other new people seeking help you lie and say you are here to do, but hatefulness is what you offer. I feel sorry for you all, so much pain you want to release on a stranger. Hopefully those with children will do better than your parents failure.
    I will be sure not to ask for advice or help from you again, maybe if any of you answer the question of why your here honestly, you will not offer anyone your "help", leave it to the grown up who know how to treat people or just say nothing at all. If any of you are paid, you should be fired. But I'm sure with the moral fortitude you appear to have, you'll choose to go beat up a gay or black kid, you all want to help, right?
    I'm truly disappointed in you and PCGS for allowing people like you to represent their company to everyone, like me who only asked for your help or advice.
    But I will never let people like you represented here to give up the hobby I find fun and challenging, others aren't as experienced with your kind of help and will feel they can't do it, all because of your help, heroes? That's what you all want and the reason you chose to be helpers, right? You give the same old tired excuses for why their coin isn't what they thought. Like "circulation damage" puts additional person and foreign language on a coin, corrosion damaged or just plain insults paired with childish behavior, you folks are the best! How many others did you help today?
    If you are here to help teach and encourage people, then you will need more than your coin knowledge, but if you can't treat people with respect, kindness, and encourage people please consider doing something else while people who really want to help can.
    I guess this is where manners and all require me to thank you all for your "help" regardless of how much you offer, yea thank you kind and loving people of the "smartest coin people in the world"!
    Saddened

• Options

@Oldhoopster said:

@justmenutty72 said:

So does this mean you think the nickel is something other than PMD?

If you posted what you think it is and more importantly, WHY you think it's something special, that goes much further than just throwing out a wild --- guess with no thoughts or data to support your opinion.

Even if your wrong, posting your reasoning is helpful for building a good reputation and can allow experienced members to provide feedback to help you learn

BTW I don't think members are "sensitive" or offended if they call out obvious incorrect guesses you've previously posted. It's important to make sure new collectors get accurate information and not to confuse them.

I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. Period. And the sensitive ones know who they are. I need say nothing more.🤨

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    So I'm glad it wasn't an aluminum penny, that guy must have received as much help as I have.

You're not looking for help. You're looking only to have your (incorrect) assumptions validated.

I mean since you have offered nothing more than insults and childish remarks...

You were given lots of solid advice and feedback (here and on your other threads) but you become totally dismissive and insulting when you don't like what you hear.

You have the choice to let the real adults teach.

Are you saying that anyone who doesn't tell you what you want to hear is not a "real adult"?

I'm an expert on customer service...

I would beg to differ, based on your demeanor.

But I'm sure with the moral fortitude you appear to have, you'll choose to go beat up a gay or black kid, you all want to help, right?

Absolutely slanderous/libelous, inappropriate, and ban-worthy.

I'm truly disappointed in you and PCGS for allowing people like you to represent their company to everyone, like me who only asked for your help or advice.

Don't ask for help/advice if you don't want to hear what people have to say!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all this sage advice, someone's melon should be about ready to explode. Just sayin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2fun2Bbad said:
    I'm sure if any of of you have children or grandchildren, you would be proud to see them act and treat a person as you have.
    I'm an expert on customer service where the actual definition of reflects the dictionary, perhaps you generous loving group of people should revisit, and become better people, because my road to being a good coin collector is far shorter than it would seem you have to becoming a decent human being, or did I wake up in 4th grade? I'm not one who thinks this is a place for your level of people skills, in fact you all should ask yourselves again why you are here, from this perspective it doesn't seem you are here to help. I recognize several of you and what you posted on other new people seeking help you lie and say you are here to do, but hatefulness is what you offer. I feel sorry for you all, so much pain you want to release on a stranger. Hopefully those with children will do better than your parents failure.
    I will be sure not to ask for advice or help from you again, maybe if any of you answer the question of why your here honestly, you will not offer anyone your "help", leave it to the grown up who know how to treat people or just say nothing at all. If any of you are paid, you should be fired. But I'm sure with the moral fortitude you appear to have, you'll choose to go beat up a gay or black kid, you all want to help, right?
    But I will never let people like you represented here to give up the hobby I find fun and challenging, others aren't as experienced with your kind of help and will feel they can't do it, all because of your help, heroes? That's what you all want and the reason you chose to be helpers, right? You give the same old tired excuses for why their coin isn't what they thought. Like "circulation damage" puts additional person and foreign language on a coin, corrosion damaged or just plain insults paired with childish behavior, you folks are the best! How many others did you help today?
    If you are here to help teach and encourage people, then you will need more than your coin knowledge, but if you can't treat people with respect, kindness, and encourage people please consider doing something else while people who really want to help can.
    I guess this is where manners and all require me to thank you all for your "help" regardless of how much you offer, yea thank you kind and loving people of the "smartest coin people in the world"!
    Saddened

Serious or not, this has as much value to the Forum as a troll post.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite reaction (so far) was when I told someone the truth about their coin, they went haywire telling me I was in a coin cabal, stealing said (fake) errors from random people and selling them for tons of money.

He then threaten to unleash the Prince Hall Freemasonry society on me? WTF? I had to google that organization :o

• Options

Interesting children, defending your or others bad behavior, somehow this doesn't surprise me. But I will give credit where it is due even if done in the absolute incorrect way if trying to help: did you weigh the coin (answer is yes, but it wasn't really a question was it nor any of the other helpful hints) did you measure it? Did you do research on the coin? This was information I needed, but wasn't given in a helping way, but a "hey stupid! Why didn't you already know".
    I didn't ask for any confirmation on anything, I stated the fact it was struck on a foreign coin that I was unfamiliar with and the language it's wrote in I'm not familiar with either so researching a coin from almost anywhere in the world you don't even know it's currency value is another place I could use help from someone who is here to help and in my experience and vast study of people, that wasn't what they were trying to do, but inadvertantly helped anyway.
    Defenders of bad behavior, you are just as big a part of the problem and those who defend their own is much like the rapist who blames it on the clothes their victim wore, you folks really need to take a close look at what you're doing and why. If you feel you are here to help, really? I wonder how many less experts we'd have here if the people who influenced you treated you the same way in early stage.
    I'm just pointing out things you need to be aware of if your trying to help others, and suggestions for you to not kill people's hopes and dreams so you can feel superior and laugh with your so called friends. Sounds like many of you can't handle valid criticism, little sensitive huh?
    When you are truly helping, the words you use are important, if you are the experts, you're not stupid and already know this, but hey what's a little fun, right? Those stupid newbies just need to find another hobby, our club house is already full. If it isn't what you mean, in so many ways it's what is heard.
    To the horrible human being who has no real coin knowledge and just comes here to hurt people, I don't have to wish for what is Karma's job, I already know what is coming your way, just like you I don't know when, but know it's heading your way. Everything we deserve is given in full measurement, drink up everyone, cheers!

• Options

Looks like someone for the ignore list

Best of luck moving forward

Why didn't you just listen to the responses of knowledgeable members instead of doubling down on the foreign planchet nonsense.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Respectfully, we get at least one of these posts about a mint error that is actually a damaged coin every single day.

Most people who ask the question say "thank you" and move on.

Some fight the expert opinions that they get here .

Which one are you?

This discussion has been closed.