Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lane Brunner has passed away.

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned recently that Lane Brunner passed away. He was an active Bust Half collector, but I knew Lane mostly from the ANA Summer Seminars in the early 2000s. He was always nice, enthusiastic, studious and generally fun to be around. And he clearly loved collecting and that trait was infectious. Though I had not seen him in recent years, I still remember him well. RIP, my friend.

His obituary is attached.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    EXOJUNKIEEXOJUNKIE Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2022 9:04AM

At a young age too, with a lot more to contribute. Condolences to his family and friends. :'(

I'm addicted to exonumia ... it is numismatic crack!

ANA LM

USAF Retired — 34 years of active military service! 🇺🇸
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t know him but my condolences to his loved one’s RIP my friend. 💐

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed our discussions about unusual slabs. He was one of the good ones. It’s sad to hear the news. Best wishes to his family and may he Rest In Peace.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2022 9:19AM

I only knew Lane through his posts here and he contributed significantly. Far more importantly, however, everything I saw or heard about him told me that he was a truly good person. My condolences go out to his loved ones and friends.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed a sad day. Lane was a great guy, and as @TPRC said, had an enthusiastic and infectious good nature. Always one to help, and teach ... he was far too young ... and he will be greatly missed. I received an email about this yesterday and am still in a bit of shock. RIP Lane @astrorat

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to family and friends. RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    OMG... Very saddened seeing this as I didn't know Lane was ill. He was long time member username @astrorat here on the boards who loved Double Dime 20 Cent pieces and their mint errors. Lane was also always on the lookout trying to buy coins with problems out of his own pocket to use as teaching tools. He was one of the first few of members to reach out via PM and welcome me here back in 07. RIP my friend! :'(

well crap. thanks for the connection of the name and user id. i knew it sounded familiar and explains why he hasn't been responding. condolences to friends and family.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only knew him on the boards and talked via PM a few times. Seemed like a really great guy. I remember him wanting to buy a 1875 20c counterstamp piece that I have several years ago. I told him if I ever sold it he would get first shot at it. Very sorry to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends. :(

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

That explains why Lane hasn't posted since June 3rd. I'll miss him. Great guy.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was quite saddened when a fellow forum member sent me a PM with the news yesterday and I immediately looked up his obituary online to confirm (as if I had to confirm it) the events. Lane's passing is a great loss, not only on these forums, but throughout all the other aspects of his life.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lane was one of the really good guys on the boards--someone I had the chance to get to know not just virtually, but in person at Summer Seminars years ago and at some scattered big shows. He was always exceedingly friendly, gracious with his time, and supportive of my endeavors (coin-related or not) as I was growing up, both publicly and behind the scenes. He'll be missed :(

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to correspond with Lane Brunner in ancient times long ago in the days before the internet. I always found him sincere, interested, and a true gentleman. He was always willing to share his knowledge.

I'll miss him.

RIP.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear of Lane's passing. We had many PM's over the years and many of the Compugrade slabs in my collection came from him.

Very informative obituary - thanks for posting it.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 5, 2022 4:33PM

My sincerest condolences. :'(

He was still quite young with a lot of living left...So sad to see it cut short.

I didn't know him, personally, but sounds like he was a great and genuine man.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

☹️

My interactions with him were brief but he was an awesome guy and very friendly to me and everyone else.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a few years ago, I conversed with astrorat regarding a coin I was interested in and we corresponded for many months off an on in that and other regards. Did not remember his name until the OP's mention. I am so sorry. He was a benefit and was well received in the posts I remember. RIP my forum friend and my condolences to his family for their loss.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very sorry to hear this. :(

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! Just realized I have run into him at shows off and on, a truly nice guy. He was close to my age and yes, that's far too soon for him to have checked out. RIP.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

May he Rest In Peace. When I collected twenty cent pieces he was always willing to share knowledge
    Always thought he was very generous to share the book he wrote online for anybody to learn without buying the book. Great guy.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear this. He accomplished much in his 59 years.
    RIP Lane.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lane was a very accomplished numismatist and this is a sad loss to his family, friends and the numismatic community as well. His book with John Frost on Double Dimes: The United States Twenty-cent Piece will live forever. May he rest in peace.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this news. RIP Lane.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad indeed.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭

My condolences to Lane's family and friends.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

A true friend in numismatics, and obviously in many places. He was gracious to me.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sincere condolences to family and friends.
    This is very sad.
    😞

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone way too soon. Rest piece, forum friend. Your work lives on in memory

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Sorry to hear of his passing, condolences.

www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sincere condolences to Lane's family and friends. It's always sad to learn of the passing of a member here, particularly such an active and well-liked contributor to the hobby and our forum.
    Rest in peace 🙏

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

sad to hear this - many PMs and transactions back and forth

one of the good guys!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lane was a good guy, a correspondent, and a casual friend. He will be missed. - he shared my obsession with Accugrade slabs, esp. the samples. He used to set up at the Tyler Coin Club show and, well, I left far too many pieces of paper with him in exchange for some plastic. I wondered why I hadn't seen him at the recent show.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a CBH from him several years ago. I always enjoyed his posts. RIP

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just terrible. I corresponded with him about a my double dime with an ANACS photo cert on several occasions. RIP my friend.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sincere condolences to all his friends and family.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is a super bummer. I met Lane down in Tyler at the local show in 2019 or so. Really swell guy, bought a doily and a Redfield from him. Our passions for those holders were similar….then in 2021, he sold me my first Regency holder…..I was really looking forward to seeing him again…RIP Lane.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad to learn of this. Rest in peace, Lane!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it was through Lane Brunner's Jan 22, '02 Numismatic News article that I first "met" him. He had written an article about interesting young people in coins and I sent off a letter to the editor praising the article and sharing some of my experience, I also sent him a letter and we corresponded briefly until he appeared here a little later on. He was a very passionate teacher and collector.

I had not realized that he taught 7th grade math for many years.

The world is a poorer place without him.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file