Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is not getting the correct change at a store the new norm?

AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
edited August 24, 2022 12:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Nobody wants to give pennys back anymore

Comments

• Options

Has anyone else noticed this?I like looking at my change,

• Options

I think it would be cool to get back dollar and 50 cent peices again

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

i get pennies back sometimes in change

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mountains of Colorado, ski resorts, we have pennies. Denver mint being 80 miles down the hill, we see many Denver MM coins 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time I used cash to buy a burger I didn’t get back the correct change. Young adult behind the register seemed to have a really hard time figuring out which coins added up to the amount showing on the register screen. And after what seemed like a really excessive amount of time to add up 36 cents it was still wrong. Not by just a cent.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 7:06AM

The convenience store down the street typically just rounds my purchased down to avoid giving me cents, nickels and dimes back in change. This started in 2020. Before that they used to give exact change and there was always Cents and nickels on the sidewalk and street, especially cents. People just threw them out rather than put them in their pockets. I was always picking them up.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

As for the change, depends on the place. Some give me exact change back and some round it off.
    And pre pandemic, I did have someone who could not count out the change. I really felt bad for her. I told her to take her time as she spread some coins on the counter. I even showed her how to do it. I really felt bad as she was really trying.

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2022 7:18AM

@milbroco said:
    Another question is............Is not getting your order right through the drive though the new norm?
    Went to Wendy's for my son. They gave me fries instead of chicken nuggets. Went to McDonalds, did not get my fries. I could go on and on. Now, I check my order before I leave the drive through window no matter how many cars are behind me.

go to in-n-out. I cannot remember at any time them getting my order wrong. Everywhere else with a drive thru is a crapshoot.

• Options

No in-n-out in my area.

• Options

@milbroco said:
    No in-n-out in my area.

Might be time to move. :)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Tell them there is a mistake and you would like the correct change. Its your money, not theirs. I will also give extra back if I notice it.

During the "coin shortage" I had instances were the change was rounded up to the nearest nickel.

Yeah, this is me.......

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 7:59AM

@CaptHenway said:

@Oldhoopster said:
    Tell them there is a mistake and you would like the correct change. Its your money, not theirs. I will also give extra back if I notice it.

During the "coin shortage" I had instances were the change was rounded up to the nearest nickel.

Yeah, this is me.......

Me, too, but I would have just given them $2.14, unless I was going to an even with an open bar later, in which case $5.14 would make things simpler in the long run. I try not to go shopping without 24c in my pocket.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Most cash register clerks cannot make change.....let alone say thank you.

How true !
    Next time you have a kid serving you in the deli, ask for a 1/3 of a pound of potato salad......

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do they still teach math in public schools anymore?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I think when they started replacing numbers with letters it went down hill,I never did understand a +b =c

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

I love it when they cant figure out what a DIME is!! :D
    (Smaller than a nickel, bigger than a penny, but worth ... ??? :s )
    Thats what happens when they come out of the womb paying with venmo. :p

• Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, bill is $4.36. Give them $5.36 and say just give me a dollar back. They have to call the manager because they can't figure that out. Neither can the manager.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 9:28AM

What are these "pennies" people are referring to? 🤔

At my part time job, I count back the change to the customer. If their purchase was $17.97 and they gave me a twenty, I would say three CENTS makes 18 and two dollars makes twenty.

Most of our other employees just hand their change back to the customer in one swoop. 🙄

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    What are these "pennies" people are referring to? 🤔

... aka "dirty money". ;)

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 10:38AM

Happy Wednesday

• Options
    edited August 24, 2022 11:17AM

I get cranky in my old age.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be careful. This is starting to get "political" and we don't need any more bannings here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way two of the last three responses to this thread appear, we may have to subtract one or two members before the day is done. Don't be stupid.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

“ Is not getting the correct change at a store the new norm?”

No

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would seem math skills are going the way of spelling skills

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Do they still teach math in public schools anymore?

Yes

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is frustrating how confused young cashiers get when encountering an arithmetic issue. My wife is a professor at the college, and she frequently comments about the remedial courses they must administer to new college students. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 11:02AM

I go nuts when someone is fishing in one of those rubber change purses to pay to the exact penny. :#

• Options
    edited August 24, 2022 11:11AM

I go nuts when the lady in front of me takes five minutes to put the coins in the change purse, close the clasp, put the bills in the proper spot, puts the purse strap around her shoulder, grabs the bag(s) and just when you think she is ready to leave asks the cashier a question like....oh can you give me 5 ones for a five and takes the bag off the shoulder..........and you know the rest.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that some stores are finding cents a hassle to handle. You have to count them out to make change, and at the end of the day, you have to count them to balance the receipts. Also if you run short, you have to have someone go to the bank to get them.

I find some stores giving me change to the nearest nickel most of the time when I use cash, which is now seldom. Most everything goes on the credit card.

Having said that, I hope the mint continues to make cents for Proof and Mint sets when the day comes to do away with them. They have a wonderful date run that goes from 1793 to present, excepting only 1815. It would be a shame to break it.

Even the British put silver pennies in Maundy sets.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had young cashiers ask "do you want the coins back or just the paper money?"

I was working at a body shop and many of the young people that their car was totaled would come in to clean out their personal items, they would leave the cup holder/ashtray full of coins. I would ask them "don't you want all that money?"
    Many would say "no" and just leave it. It was not uncommon to get $15 or $20 that they left behind.

I think some of the younger folks don't see coins as real money or realize how fast it adds up to dollars.

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 11:27AM

Try paying with $2.00 bills and then getting the correct change back!! It’s a double whammy for them.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebeav said:

@Goldbully said:
    Most cash register clerks cannot make change.....let alone say thank you.

How true !
    Next time you have a kid serving you in the deli, ask for a 1/3 of a pound of potato salad......

I had one blue-screen on 1/4 pound not long ago.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

How to have exact change for 99cents with least amount of coins.

4 cents
    1 nickel
    2 dimes
    3 quarters

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I have had young cashiers ask "do you want the coins back or just the paper money?"

I was working at a body shop and many of the young people that their car was totaled would come in to clean out their personal items, they would leave the cup holder/ashtray full of coins. I would ask them "don't you want all that money?"
    Many would say "no" and just leave it. It was not uncommon to get $15 or $20 that they left behind.

I think some of the younger folks don't see coins as real money or realize how fast it adds up to dollars.

That’s because most of todays youngsters don’t grasp the concept of value anymore.

This discussion has been closed.