Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade - 1950 Franklin - ANA show grading {grade revealed in comments}

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 21, 2022 1:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is one of my show grading coins from the ANA show. Some might remember this one from before (it has been one of my interesting experiences). I am using the TrueView photo but it is now slabbed by NGC.

Please guess the PCGS grade (if you remember, you will have an advantage this time) and the new NGC grade.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 now 65*

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 now 65

Mr_Spud

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2022 11:47AM

MS-63, doesn't change except maybe a plus or a star or a smiley face.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it went from 62 to a 63.

I really don't like grading coins like this because the color can give up to two points higher than the technical grade, and the amount of color bump depends heavily on the grader. I wouldn't be surprised to see this in a 64 holder.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 fbl

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

MS63

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2022 2:06PM

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm curious to see how this one turned out.

i see scratches, unusual color, almost an AU look (from the images)

since i don't get a cookie or a sticker for guessing correctly, i'll say 63*.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    i'm curious to see how this one turned out.

i see scratches, unusual color, almost an AU look (from the images)

since i don't get a cookie or a sticker for guessing correctly, i'll say 63*.

You are right that there are no cookies or stickers; just the pride of being correct.
    Plus this smiley face: :) and this cool sunglasses emoji dude: B)

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 to 63*

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 65+ and now 65+*

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    You are right that there are no cookies or stickers; just the pride of being correct.
    Plus this smiley face: :) and this cool sunglasses emoji dude: B)

oh sure, NOW you tell me about the prizes. :#

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 261 ✭✭✭

63 to 64*

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58

• Options

Video below if anyone wants to look at that as well

• Options

@U1chicago said:
    Video below if anyone wants to look at that as well

appears much better in the vid with those dripping luster bands!

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

63>63

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 nbl, fwiw

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS=AT
    NGC=64*

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @TomB on the new grade. Probably a "star" now, and probably 64. No idea what it was ...

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @TomB as to PCGS AT and I would say NGC 64.
    Major thought was why would anyone send a PCGS slab to NGC unless truly sure of a very nice upgrade. Just an opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    Major thought was why would anyone send a PCGS slab to NGC unless truly sure of a very nice upgrade. Just an opinion.
    Jim

some people do prefer pepsi over coke, if coke is pcgs in this analogy. why you ask? why chevy over ford or visa versa, why petrol over electric. a myriad of reasons. ;)

fwiw, i'm not refuting your post, just sharing my extensive experience looking at MAJOR/NUMEROUS coins in ngc holders and their registry sets. over the years, we obviously on this forum, see a lot of pcgs stuff go priced over every other tpg holder but if one looks deep enough and wide enough, the amount of monster coins in ngc holders, at many major auction houses and in major collections, is pretty impressive. that stuff SEEMS to fly under the radar but rest assured, a fantastic amount of value lies in ngc holders. i completely concede about the playing each tpg against each other and submitting of certain type to get specific results/treatment regarding tendencies surrounding toning, attributions, designations and grades.

if we could track crackouts/crossovers for just the top 10% of numismatics (value-wise), it'd probably make our heads pop!

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

In many cases the PCGS holder would bring more if the coin grade the same (or even within a point). But there are other situations. @LanceNewmanOCC gave some good reasoning above.
    Also some people like consistency (want all coins in one company's holder).
    And then there is the NGC star-certain coins like one sided PLs or one sided cameos can do better with an NGC star vs a plain grade elsewhere.

• Options

And the grade is MS 62 (no star).
    This coin has been on an interesting journey. It started as a raw eBay find; then went to Anacs (one of my early grading submissions to any TPG) where it graded AU 55. Years later I sent it to NGC where it got an MS 62 (no star). Then my first ever PCGS sub included this coin. It received UNC Details Machine Damage. And now it received a 62 no star from NGC (hey they were consistent!). I kept trying because of all the different opinions and because this is an uncommon date for color.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago ... Late arrival... but thought 63..... Not sure I see the 'Machine Damage' part though....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2022 7:23AM

Posting this before looking at grade…
    PCGS - 63+ (plus for color bump)
    NGC - 64.

Personally the color looks very questionable to me.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad I didn't play this one, as I would have embarrassed myself greatly—pretty coin (looks GEM). I watched your video and still don't see any 'damage.' Where is it?

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited August 22, 2022 10:26AM

@braddick said:
    I am glad I didn't play this one, as I would have embarrassed myself greatly—pretty coin (looks GEM). I watched your video and still don't see any 'damage.' Where is it?

I think the reverse (across the middle of the bell) is in question (where PCGS might have interpreted it as machine damage from a counting machine). There is also an area on the left side of the obverse. I think that could prevent a gem grade but I don’t see anything bad enough to net it down to 62 or detail it.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the true definition of tuition in the grading game. This is like a $25 coin that’s had many multiples of that spend on grading/shipping fees over and over again. Extreme amount of hits/damage on this coin to even warrant sending it in the first time (imo). Is the ultimate goal to get a star designation on the holder? Gotta learn to let this one go, and consider it lucky that it ended up in a straight grade ms holder.

• Options

@1madman said:
    This is the true definition of tuition in the grading game. This is like a $25 coin that’s had many multiples of that spend on grading/shipping fees over and over again. Extreme amount of hits/damage on this coin to even warrant sending it in the first time (imo). Is the ultimate goal to get a star designation on the holder? Gotta learn to let this one go, and consider it lucky that it ended up in a straight grade ms holder.

It was a lot of tuition. However, I have not seen another 1950 that matches the toning on this one. There is no extreme damage on the coin. There were several grades that could have paid off, like 58/58+ (if we call it circulated) or 63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file