Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long do you think coins can last undamaged in a PCGS holder ?

JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2, 2022 1:04PM in U.S. Coin Forum

200 years ? 2000 years like a Roman coin ? Many of those look good today without a holder so it shouldn’t be unreasonable.

Comments

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

They are sealed, but whatever air happened to be in the holder at the time of the sealing would determine that. I wish there was some sort of nitrogen inserted into the holders (please lell me if they do this!). Nitrogen would be the least reactive to old brass, copper and silver. Gold is Gold, and therefore a noble element, Gold can stand up to sea water for centurys.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Platinum, palladium, and most gold should last a very long time, with or without plastic.

But I would guess silver, copper, bronze might change quite a bit over that long. My guess is UV exposure like sunlight, excessive humidity or heat, corrosive air, etc. could impact things over time even in a slab. Note that changes may not even be the plastic holder's fault, but just something already on the coin going bad over time.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:
    They are sealed, but whatever air happened to be in the holder at the time of the sealing would determine that. I wish there was some sort of nitrogen inserted into the holders (please lell me if they do this!). Nitrogen would be the least reactive to old brass, copper and silver. Gold is Gold, and therefore a noble element, Gold can stand up to sea water for centurys.

They aren't THAT well sealed.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:

Cannot speak to the effectiveness, but I recently encountered the HQC-System from Geiger. They use it for the tubes of 'Noah's Ark' silver bullion coins.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

They'll be around long after I'm gone unless there's a disaster such as a fire, flooding, war, or global warming melting the slab. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2022 2:41PM

I’m thinking if you put a slabbed coin in a mason jar with a desiccant pack and filled with heavier than air Argon gas (much heavier than nitrogen) and stored in a dark place that it would preserve the coin until the next asteroid hits, maybe longer.

You can get argon here https://a.co/d/dsLaA34

Mr_Spud

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long enough for all practical purposes.

The majority of high-end coins that hit market get slabbed every few years it seems.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    I’m thinking if you put a slabbed coin in a mason jar with a desiccant pack and filled with heavier than air Argon gas (much heavier than nitrogen) and stored in a dark place that it would preserve the coin until the next asteroid hits, maybe longer.

You can get argon here https://a.co/d/dsLaA34

We may be closer in time to that asteroid hit than you think..............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the pyramids! :)

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe our descendants will have to pony up and have them reholdered in 2000 years just to be sure. I wonder if the guarantee will still be good.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the coin had hidden contaminants, it will last your lifetime and probably many generations thereafter. Another concern that is of no concern. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

I had a PCGS 65 3 cent silver that toned in my safe. No changes to anything else. Maybe had an air leak.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see flea market dealers with certified coins in their cases, or in plastic flips in the blazing sun and heat. Not good. Normal indoor conditions, not much in problems. I have had NGC certified coins bubble up in a car with sunlight.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most things that happen to a coin housed in an NGC or PCGS holder were the result of what done to them BEFORE they went into the holder. These include improper dipping, putty and "enhanced red" copper.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rooksmith said:

Actually, the slabs are NOT air-tight and are NOT watertight either. So however you store them and whatever is in the atmosphere will change the coins. Likely slower than unslabbed....

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Given the condition of some 18th century coins that survived unscathed for 2 centuries without advanced storage. I would say probably indefinitely.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2022 10:38AM

When you start talking in decades and centuries, the plastic used in holders does allow gases to permeate. The plastic itself is not perfectly stable and will degrade over a long enough period of time. If you store under perfect conditions this can all be delayed significantly.

If Roman coins were buried in a holder 2000 years ago, they'd probably still be in better shape than they are now. That is if the plastic decomposition products aren't particularly acidic, which they might be. In that case it might be worse in the long run.

I speculate that if you change out the holder every 50 years, then you are in pretty good shape. I also speculate that we could get to a point where having a coin in a rattler holder is more of a liability than a benefit.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file