Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's see some Harry W. Bass pedigree coins

With Heritage announcing last week that it has been selected to auction the Harry Bass Core Collection long displayed at the ANA Museum, it brought to mind earlier auctions of Bass's coins.

I have one... a Dahlonega gold half eagle from Part II of the 1999 sale conducted by Bowers and Merena.

Bass pedigree coins have long appealed to me since he was local (I'm in the Dallas area) and I like early gold. I always admired his meticulous approach to assembling his collection, and his philanthropic efforts.

Any others out there?

Comments

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a thread I’ll be able to participate in but I very much look forward to seeing some eye candy B)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2022 9:19PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

1870 Liberty Gold Half Eagle PCGS Proof-64 CAC (HW Bass Jr. Collection)
    https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1192766

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:

That was a beauty of a proof eagle while it lasted :smile:.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldIndian said:
    With Heritage announcing last week that it has been selected to auction the Harry Bass Core Collection long displayed at the ANA Museum, it brought to mind earlier auctions of Bass's coins.

I have one... a Dahlonega gold half eagle from Part II of the 1999 sale conducted by Bowers and Merena.

Bass pedigree coins have long appealed to me since he was local (I'm in the Dallas area) and I like early gold. I always admired his meticulous approach to assembling his collection, and his philanthropic efforts.

Any others out there?

Great color and luster. Old holder. Undergraded!

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:
    This little brother has no pedigree history that I am aware of. I do not know it's history and I have looked through the auction history. Any ideas?

P55

Very attractive choice coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no Bass pedigreed coins... But the gold shown here is impressive. I really like the OP half eagle.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AntebellumGoldAntebellumGold Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have no Bass pedigreed coins... But the gold shown here is impressive. I really like the OP half eagle.... Cheers, RickO

Thanks. I'm really in love with pre-war branch mint gold right now, but it is slow going.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread!

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bass $2.5 1842-D is coming up for auction at StacksBowers. It looks gorgeous and it’s in a PCGS 58 CAC holder.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-XP13J/1842-d-liberty-head-quarter-eagle-winter-3-f-the-only-known-dies-au-58-pcgs-cac

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 3:42PM

@earlyAurum said:
    The Bass $2.5 1842-D is coming up for auction at StacksBowers. It looks gorgeous and it’s in a PCGS 58 CAC holder.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-XP13J/1842-d-liberty-head-quarter-eagle-winter-3-f-the-only-known-dies-au-58-pcgs-cac

Love to have both in hand side by side to compare! Tony, did you see my attribution above (I added). I think mine was Bass's P55 example. Can you take a look?

Thanks,

Freddie

@earlyAurum

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fastfreddie said:

@earlyAurum said:

Love to have both in hand side by side to compare! Tony, did you see my attribution above (I added). I think mine was Bass's P55 example. Can you take a look?

Thanks,

Freddie

@earlyAurum

It looks like the Bass coin to me. There are a few “landmarks” that match up.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cheated :p

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:

@fastfreddie said:

@earlyAurum said:

Thanks,

Freddie

@earlyAurum

It looks like the Bass coin to me. There are a few “landmarks” that match up.

Agree with the assessment. Should be pedigreed and sent to CAC.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file