Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1948 ceremonial Franklin Half Dollars. Has anyone ever seen one?

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago the ANA published a four volume set entitled “Selections from the Numismatist.” In the U.S. coin book, there was a reprint from an article that covered a banquet Mint Director, Nellie Ross, hosted which featured an unveiling of the Franklin Half Dollar. Each guest received one of the new coins with a card that marked the event.

Has anyone seen or heard of one of these cards? I haven’t. It’s hard to believe that not one has survived. Perhaps the card was so nondescript that it didn’t rate saving.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the first that I have heard of it.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard about them and saw a picture. I don't remember where or when, but I do remember seeing it.

thefinn
  • Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

That is cool - I wonder how many were distributed... a few hundred ??

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    With the compliments of RWB, from his latest book, currently at the printers.

It is for reasons like this and a thousand more that RWB is missed around these parts.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very exciting!

Thanks for the post @BillJones and the photos @CaptHenway! Great material from Roger!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@CaptHenway said:

It is for reasons like this and a thousand more that RWB is missed around these parts.

I believe he's still posting ATS.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow cool!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@keyman64 said:

@CaptHenway said:

He is and participates almost every day.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2022 10:13PM

Awesome thread!
    B)
    I never really cared too much for History growing up.
    It wasn't 'til I became a Numismatic,that sparked my interest.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder if these have any sort of special strike. It would be cool if they did and then discovered 70+ years after they were struck.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    Awesome thread!
    B)
    I never really cared too much for History growing up.
    It wasn't 'til I became a Numismatic,that sparked my interest.

I'm glad you've rediscovered History. Now if we can just get you back into Spelling class. ;):D

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. Probably just the fault of these ridiculous auto-corrects.)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said:
    I wonder if these have any sort of special strike. It would be cool if they did and then discovered 70+ years after they were struck.

While the picture isn't very clear, based on what does show, the coin doesn't look special in terms of production.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I was not aware of the special presentation dinner/ceremony. Sure do miss RWB here. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Rampage said:

While the picture isn't very clear, based on what does show, the coin doesn't look special in terms of production.

It's hard to tell, but Franklin's tail feathers are more defined on the ones in the cards

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster ... I agree, no need to apologize..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said:

According to the source, they were just regular production coins out of a bag.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said:

An answer from RWB ATS: "The coins were not first strikes from new dies or anything special. They were pulled from a random bag from the Philadelphia Mint. The cards were signed and lettered in Washington, and the half dollars added in Philadelphia using the same cellophane envelopes common for proof coins in 1942."

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl and @CaptHenway Thank you for the information.
    @FlyingAl Please tell RWB I said thank you for the detailed information. And, Thank you for posting it here, It is a really cool piece of history.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@keyman64 said:

@CaptHenway said:

ATS?

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

@Zoins said:

@keyman64 said:

@CaptHenway said:

ATS?

Across the Street.
    Analogous to McDonald’s vs Burger King. :wink:

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said: :)

@BJandTundra said:

@Zoins said:

@keyman64 said:

@CaptHenway said:

ATS?

Across the Street.
    Analogous to McDonald’s vs Burger King. :wink:

Don't have to hit me with a truck when I'm crossing that street. I get it. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file