Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Upgraded an existing Morgan dollar to this one... comments welcome

anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 18, 2022 3:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

For those of you who enjoy Morgan dollar discussions, I upgraded from a PCGS MS64+ CAC to this PCGS MS66. 1883-O usually comes with a mushy strike at the center of the coin, but the combination of rim toning and the higher grade made this a no-brainer for me.

As I was researching my purchase, I examined some of the highest graded examples on PCGS Coin Facts for the 83-O where many, but not all, of the MS67 examples possess some level of weakly struck center devices. At the MS67+ level, fully struck 83-O seems to be the norm. At that price point, however, I'm not interested. Comments are always welcome and thanks for looking.

And the coin it replaces...

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice pleasing wholesome coin with original skin and toning that may have come from having spent time in an old small ANACS holder. I like it, congrats on the upgrade. Do you by chance have a photo of the 64+ coin?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin(s)! B)

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on your upgrade! Nice strike and details. I'm just not a bi fan of tuning.

• Options
    JMoo100JMoo100 Posts: 112 ✭✭

@coinbuf what tipped you off to the ANACS holder?

• Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

I feel that the usual rim toning and the exceptionally clean surfaces warrant the grade. Good eye and congratulations on the upgrade!

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice upgrade. Pretty toning.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options

@coinbuf The 64+ coin has been added to the post above. And I agree it could have spent some time in an older ANACS holder. I've had many Morgans in those holders over the years and am very familiar with that color progression.

@JMoo100 There must have been some chemical in the ink or adhesive in the smaller ANACS' labels which caused that type of toning. It is found fairly consistently in coins still in their holders from the 1990's.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

Great color on the Obv, love that electric blue. Nice replacement, congrats!

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2022 4:45AM

Really nice upgrade! B)

Here is my 83-O MS65 OGH CAC

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@anablep ... Very nice upgrade.. and the details justify the grade. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭

@LeeBone

That is a great coin with a great strike. I know the pictures do not do it justice, but I can tell it is nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your upgrade coin.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, agree it most likely came from the small white ANACS holder. That toning is so prevalent on their coins.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JMoo100 said:
    @coinbuf what tipped you off to the ANACS holder?

Once you see that look you know it, I don't know what it is with those old small ANACS holders but they produced very strong rim toning on many of the Morgan dollars that I have seen and own.

@anablep said:
    @coinbuf The 64+ coin has been added to the post above. And I agree it could have spent some time in an older ANACS holder. I've had many Morgans in those holders over the years and am very familiar with that color progression.

@JMoo100 There must have been some chemical in the ink or adhesive in the smaller ANACS' labels which caused that type of toning. It is found fairly consistently in coins still in their holders from the 1990's.

Thanks, your original coin is also quite wonderful and many collectors would be excited to own either coin. <3

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@LeeBone Love the strike and the look on that 65!

~Wayne
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are keepers.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Nice coins and upgrade. Definitely like the new pick up, looks very clean. Morgans with just a little rim toning are attractive IMO, leaving the center details untouched. Slightly mushy centrally as you stated. I got a 65dm fully struck, but it definitely has more marks than your 66.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options

@sweetwilliet I agree on the rim toning look... Would love to see your 65 if you can post it here!

~Wayne
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Here it is.

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options

@sweetwilliet Amazing coin, love the mirrors, thanks so much for posting a picture!

~Wayne
  • Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Even without closeups, it looks like some of these 83-Os shown here have the loose leaf above the left side 3-berry group on the reverse.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice upgrade way to go.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive pair.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji