Home U.S. Coin Forum

Best way to sell large $20 Liberty collection?

jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone has contacted me about help in selling a large collection. There appears to be some pretty nice/valuable pieces here. Would it make more financial sense to sell these here, or let an auction company do it? Thank you!

Comments

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming your status with CAC is as a collector it would financially make sense for the potential seller to first submit through you rather than an auction house if they go that route.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Assuming your status with CAC is as a collector it would financially make sense for the potential seller to first submit through you rather than an auction house if they go that route.

I thought I read CAC was not accepting submissions currently? I am a Cac member, so could potentially submit them.

Too many coins and too much of a hassle for you to sell yourself. Consign and the auction house does all the work and you won’t have to deal with any buyers.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@skier07 said:

I thought I read CAC was not accepting submissions currently? I am a Cac member, so could potentially submit them.

Sub $10,000 tier they aren't. Opens back up for that tier on Friday IIRC.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@jwitten said:

@skier07 said:

I believe they wii start accepting submissions July 15.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

If those have not been to CAC they should go there. It will bump up the prices considerably and make them more desirable. Along with GC there is Heritage and @MFeld to work with.

• justindanjustindan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC @ianrussell helped me sell some top morgan dollars for the most. Very pleased.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have lots of options, depending what needs to be done. Multiple resources exist, and maybe one shoe doesn't fit all sizes.

I'd be happy help!

Surf

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much time do you want or willing to invest?
    Could note the ngc and or pcgs price guide and any recent auction results. Then determine how much premium each date is bringing. Some might not be worth the auction route and could sell direct or maybe even to some gold dealers (or they might consign them) for what one would get after fees at auction.

Quick check indicates that there are not a lot of these selling at auction. Good thing, bad thing. Good as it kind of indicates not so many available. Bad because less data. I did notice that ngc seem to sell for less (typical) and I did take note of selling date. I noticed an 1872S ngc 55 closing at HA on July 17 which could be a good data point. Might be others recently.

On classic gold I believe almost always try cac as the additional premium is usually notable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_KWVk0XeB9o - Ruby Starr (from 'Go Jim Dandy') Piece Of My Heart
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=D0FPxuQv2ns - Ruby Starr (from 'Go Jim Dandy') Maybe I'm Amazed

RLJ 1958 - 2023

• goldengolden Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with Great Collections.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Collections gets my vote

• KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭

Offer a couple of them here at a fair price minus what you would pay to auction them
    Good luck
    Frank D

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coins and in older holders. Should be popular when put up for sale.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

That 68-P is probably the best one there. Take a look at the initials on the neck of the 75-P. Doesn’t seem like anyone talks about it anymore but I always look for the cancelled die variety. There is a raised line through the initials as if someone hit the die with a flat edge screwdriver. If no one talks about it doubt anyones paying for it but it’s fun to find anyway.

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC has 0% seller fee when coin sells for over $1000, so you will only have to pay shipping to GC and $10 listing fee per coin. I am sure the other big auction houses would work out a similar deal if you called them.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look a little doggy for grade to me but agree with all the other suggestions. Type II $20 gold coins can be tougher in AU grades. I'd wait until fall and hopefully gold will pop and they will go for more.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

BST

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see some coins Id sure like to have!

• conrad99conrad99 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

Yeah. They're so beautiful but all I can think is that I'd have to keep them in a safe deposit box and then I'd hardly ever see them. Then again, I could never afford more than two or three..

• raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinandcurrency242 said:
    Great Collections. Less of a headache trying to deal with buyers directly with those valuable coins.

This.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2022 7:14PM

@privatecoin said:
    BST

Um....sure.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd go with GC, just sold a bunch of coins on there in the last few weeks and more going off
    Easy Pisy
    Can't go wrong and, Ian would send all of them off to CAC for you, one step, no worries.

HA may bring more money; Stacks Bowers is very good for serious collectors.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cash

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that amount of slabbed gold, I agree with the recommendation that you use Great Collections. Cheers, RickO

It’s pretty much impossible to say which auction house will generate the most money. HA and SB will negotiate their fees. Biggest advantage with GC is high profile weekly auctions and fast payments. HA has weekly auctions and SB has monthly auctions but I don’t know how many people follow these compared to a weekly GC auction.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2022 2:48PM

Impressive large collection / inventory. Would make ones show inventory really impressive / attention getting!

How sell it - take a table at a show. You should be able get at least bid plus 10 pct. Perhaps more. A big whale buyer with lots of cash….. You have a good beginning (high demand material) inventory for the show circuit. I would add some less expensive high markup material fill up case. Then swanky business cards. Then your in control not them. I would not waste money on the holder / sticker game. That would increase your investment / markup base. I shudder at the thought mailing even a fraction of that around the country for that.

Auction juice eats up your sales. Plus they might not bid it up very high (adjusting down due to buyers fee like I do). Auc buyer Rule no 1 don’t overpay. Rule no 2 don’t be El Stupido and get snookered into bid war.

If a client - I would take a some on consignment from them sell from my table at a show.

Or I might make an offer on a few or more just depends on the deal. That’s a huge collection investment. I already have a considerable investment in this - $20 USG DE. You should be able get at least 10 pct above bid or more. It takes well off people with money. Who knows a big whale buyer might walkup. Had this happen one time guy w knapsack loaded w cash bundles of $100 bills paid around retail on all my Gold Coins. Sold them all. Couldn’t believe it. One of the bundles of new $100 bills Gem CU star notes. Banked on that big time.

Larry a friend bought about 2 dozen similar material from an investor (very flexible) at 10pct behind CDN bid to sell at bid plus 10 pct from his table at shows. I bought 4 from him at bid. In one instance a big spender at show bought 7 of them from him. It takes people with money coming in the bourse room. He sold off the material over a few months. The key is not get buried in some big ticket material inventory investment that would be slow moving / exceedingly low margin. Rule 1 buy it right. Rule 2 move it quickly. Coins don’t pay interest or dividends. Coin biz all about buy low / sell high.

Irregardless really nice coins. If gold goes up……wow.

Coins & Currency

Also the top companies like HA will make offers; they are at a lot of shows and it is well worth getting their highest offer as well as others like Minshull. They may have already been to cac but if not the cost may be warranted with possible offers made by them. I agree the 1868 $20 N55 is worth the most of the group, I had two of those and sold them years ago. A lot of the others have appreciated a lot.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file