Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Toughest 20th Century Set to Complete in any Grade?

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been thinking about this one today and Im stuck going back and forth between the buffalo nickels and standing liberty quarters. I think I will give the win to the SLQ. Other tough 20th century issues to consider?

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

All Dates and Varieties?

SLQ's are pretty tough, as are Buffalos (my two choices as well, although with all varieties, I think the Buff's may have the edge) ... EXCEPT of course, if you count the advent of the 33 Double Eagle to pair with the 27-D, I think that series is now pretty much unobtainable.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO, buffalos are not really that tough unless you're not satisfied with anything except ultra high grade pieces. I never collected them as a kid because it seemed the only ones you could find in circulation were dateless. Nevertheless, I ended up with quite a lot of them from buying groups of coins that included some, not that I was really interested in them specifically. One day, I decided to round them all up and it turned out I was only about 8 or 10 date/mms short of a complete set. So eventually, I bought the rest.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rokky said:
    I had a nice AU set of SLQs, all certified and missing only the ‘16 and ‘18/7-S. I only have the ‘27-S left, but the ‘16 and ‘18/7-S are still at the top of my list to acquire. One day.

I also have a nice ChAU/Unc set, mostly complete, but missing a few of the big ones. Fun series. Tough to find nice.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the set that was announced on the other site- a complete St. Gaudens $20 set- INCLUDING the 1933- and all CAC

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Been thinking about this one today and Im stuck going back and forth between the buffalo nickels and standing liberty quarters. I think I will give the win to the SLQ. Other tough 20th century issues to consider?

A member here has the SLQ Date Type Set in Full Head and CAC.
    Maybe he will be kind enough to share it with us :)

• Options

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Probably the set that was announced on the other site- a complete St. Gaudens $20 set- INCLUDING the 1933- and all CAC

I don't think that the 1933 will be coming on the market anytime soon
    JMO

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2022 6:30PM

$10 Liberty Gold comes to mind as one of the most challenging.

Edited to add: Oops didn't see the just 20th century part in the OP.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

St.Gaudens if you’re including gold series, Standing Liberty quarters if not.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

JMO

What I was saying was that the buyer of the 1933 just completed his St. Gaudens set in all CAC, so he now has the only possible complete St. Gaudens set.

• Options

Got it, I miss understood

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@alaura22 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

JMO

What I was saying was that the buyer of the 1933 just completed his St. Gaudens set in all CAC, so he now has the only possible complete St. Gaudens set.

No, just the only legal one. . .

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if its the toughest but a set of $5 Indian gold in gem pcgs cac is incredibly difficult.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@alaura22 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:

JMO

I have to say it again. I can't believe that 33 got a green football!

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Without varieties the SLQs are the toughest, with varieties the Buffs are toughest. JMO

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn’t know CAC was a variety 😂

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    I didn’t know CAC was a variety 😂

Right! Which is why the question was “what series in any grade”.
    I’d imagine a set of Ike dollars in VG holders would be extremely difficult, CAC or not, if we’re putting extreme conditions on our examples.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Are SLQs especially difficult to complete? What is the stopper in, say, good?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

16, 18/17,21, 23S are some of the more expensive dates at that grade with the 16 being the most.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blast white S mint peace dollars - including the 34S

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I agree with the Buffs and SLQ's, I think it is pretty tough to gather a nice matching set of Indian Head Cents also.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we talking about cost or availability? The grade range is a factor as well. Putting on a CAC restriction is another level of difficulty.

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:

I am doing a Low Ball set and have the #2 set right now, Aside from the key dates mentioned, type 2's 17-24 are almost impossible to get a grade below G-4 due to there being no date left below that grade. The 16-17 T1 and 25-30 can get to Poor-1 grade. The overdate 18/17-S has a die chip on it and can be ID by our host to Poor-1

Here my set, leave a comment if you want to.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/low-ball-sets/low-ball-denomination-sets/standing-liberty-quarters-low-ball-1916-1930/alltimeset/159034

Bob

• Options

@erwindoc said:
    16, 18/17,21, 23S are some of the more expensive dates at that grade with the 16 being the most.

I understand expensive, but I didn't think that was the idea of the thread. I thought it was hard to find. I can't imagine there are more than two or three 20th century coins that you can't find right now on eBay or GreatCollections. Grades or toning patterns, sure, but if you're looking to fill holes, there are very few coins you can't find right now!

• Options

@daltex said:

but if you're looking to fill holes, there are very few coins you can't find right now!

However, mixing a G with a MS isn't a popular concept.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bob48 said:

@daltex said:

I am doing a Low Ball set and have the #2 set right now, Aside from the key dates mentioned, type 2's 17-24 are almost impossible to get a grade below G-4 due to there being no date left below that grade. The 16-17 T1 and 25-30 can get to Poor-1 grade. The overdate 18/17-S has a die chip on it and can be ID by our host to Poor-1

Here my set, leave a comment if you want to.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/low-ball-sets/low-ball-denomination-sets/standing-liberty-quarters-low-ball-1916-1930/alltimeset/159034

To play it safe, I’ll leave my comment here:

Congratulations! You did an excellent job in putting together virtually the best worst set among all collectors (Low Ball).

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a series, or set, is not relatively easy to assemble, I am not interested. I have many interests and an extreme aversion to unnecessary stress in my life. ;) Lots of places to spend my money and have fun. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Seems to me many are completely dismissing the gold coins. Beyond a shadow of a doubt it's the $20 Saints, both pricewise and difficulty wise. Just the 27-D puts it leagues ahead and then you add the 33.

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

Peace dollars if you count the 1964 ;)

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if we adhere to "any set" in "any grade" it's a toss-up between SLQ's and Buff Nickels that includes varieties. If it's a date run, you still have to include the SLQ 1916...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    I think if we adhere to "any set" in "any grade" it's a toss-up between SLQ's and Buff Nickels that includes varieties. If it's a date run, you still have to include the SLQ 1916...

If you put together all the Saints is that not a set? ;)

• Options

Nice! But, why couldn't you get Miss Liberty to stand up straight?

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffs are not that hard to do; I've put together several sets.

I would think that Saints would be the most difficult, even without the '33.

Indian $10 would also be pretty tough with the '33.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignore the 33 $20 and the $20 Saints are still in a league of their own. $10 Indians aren't too far behind with the 20-S, 30-S, and 33. $5 Indians are next, and is probably the toughest 20th set to put together that doesn't have million-dollar coins in it, where toughness is defined by how hard it is to write (and make good on) checks. SLQs are probably next if you're just considering date and mint, or Buffalo Nickels if you're considering major variety (16 DDO, 18/7, 37-D 3 Leg). An Oregon Trail set might be harder to source than a $2 1/2 Indian set, but the 11-D will make the gold a more expensive set.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

Peace dollars, because the proofs each cost more than a house and it is probably not possible to obtain the '64-D. Besides that, I agree with the above post.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any year proof set in rattlers.
    Extra bonus for all years proof set in rattlers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file