Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Food Saver bags for protection against humidity

stevepkstevepk Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

Do Food Saver bags offer good protection for coins in humid environments? I noticed the safety deposit room at the bank was pretty warm when I stepped in. If so, does anyone have any tips or words of caution?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevepk said:
    Do Food Saver bags offer good protection for coins in humid environments? I noticed the safety deposit room at the bank was pretty warm when I stepped in. If so, does anyone have any tips or words of caution?

Any zip-lock plastic bag would work but you need to also include a silica gel pack in the bag to remove any moisture trapped in the bag. Any food safe container with a sealable lid such as a Tupperware container would also work.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

You can always move to Palm Springs California.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@stevepk said:

Any zip-lock plastic bag would work but you need to also include a silica gel pack in the bag to remove any moisture trapped in the bag. Any food safe container with a sealable lid such as a Tupperware container would also work.

ever try vacuum seal bags/containers?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is amazing how much longer half a tomato lasts when you place it in a zip lok bag and take a small straw and close the bag around the straw and while pinching it closed on the straw remove the air in the bag and as it has collapsed pull the straw out while pinching harder until completely closed. Works everytime. It would probably work for coins, but I always felt a little toning was a good thing. :p
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@PerryHall said:

@stevepk said:

ever try vacuum seal bags/containers?

That would work for long term storage but would be inconvenient for occasional access to your coins.

• Options

> ever try vacuum seal bags/containers?

Food Saver bags are vacuum sealed containers.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    It is amazing how much longer half a tomato lasts when you place it in a zip lok bag and take a small straw and close the bag around the straw and while pinching it closed on the straw remove the air in the bag and as it has collapsed pull the straw out while pinching harder until completely closed. Works everytime. It would probably work for coins, but I always felt a little toning was a good thing. :p
    Jim

:# You don't suck on that straw? :#

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

As long as the bag you use doesn't have PVC or something similar.

Young Numismatist

• Options

There is no direct contact between coin surfaces and the food saver bag. There is always a barrier of some sort, whether it be a PCGS / NGC / ANACS holder, a cardboard 2x2 mylar flip, or a non-PVC coin flip. This should eliminate any risk of possible PVC damage from the food saver bags, right?

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

It must be tough living in an environment that you cannot control, ac and heat are a wonderful thing. less money on coins and more on environment, just my opinion. lol

• Options

@stevepk said:
    There is no direct contact between coin surfaces and the food saver bag. There is always a barrier of some sort, whether it be a PCGS / NGC / ANACS holder, a cardboard 2x2 mylar flip, or a non-PVC coin flip. This should eliminate any risk of possible PVC damage from the food saver bags, right?

A food saver bag is safe for coin storage since it's made with polyethylene rather than PVC.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevepk said:

I am only talking about the contact and not what the food saver bag is made of as it has been pointed out to be acceptable. You do not have to have contact to get PVC. Apparently from oldhoopster contact is the primary source. However, I just posted a pvc thread where one side to the coin had a cardboard cover over it. While that side had less stuff on the surface it was still present to some extent. These were rather extreme as they sat for decades and sealed in two wrapper containing pvc. Just avoid having it around is the best solution.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1077719/please-allow-me-to-introduce-myself-i-am-pvc-update-kennedy#latest

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Ziploc bags for storage of slabs and they work fine. I do squeeze out the air as I seal them. They do not contain PVC. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 6:25AM

@PerryHall said:

@ricko said:
    I have used Ziploc bags for storage of slabs and they work fine. I do squeeze out the air as I seal them. They do not contain PVC. Cheers, RickO

@stevepk
    If you are considering this advice, it is possible to buy zip-lock bags made of Intercept. Link

Edited.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think vacuum sealing any slab would be a good idea. Consider: when you seal it you will remove any air trapped inside the slab which could possibly be pulled out. When you open the bag and break the vacuum you will introduce new air into that slab to equalize pressure, possibly introducing contaminants.

I'm willing to bet that the environment in the PCGS sealing room is of better quality than what might be in my house,.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

No don’t use plastic food bag / has pvc other chem.. use a glass jar.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file