Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1794 Cap Bust Large Cent...what details grade do you think this coin might receive? Inhand photos.

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2022 1:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks for looking. Your opinions please. I promise not to cry.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I will say is market grading will most likely knock the details grade received.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    All I will say is market grading will most likely knock the details grade received.

I understand that, as this is not but an S-22 R-1 due to the damage was the only reason I could afford to purchase it and still have decent details. Just for an opinion, that's all.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

if one can get it bought right, that is a good way to have an affordable piece of early american coinage.

i really haven't paid much attention to how details coins are getting assessed these days but it looks like technical VF details but i don't know how much it will get knocked back.

i wonder how much time they spend authenticating something like this and there are many.

very nice pics and presentation. :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

The die crack through the 4 and the raised 2nd 0 with 1 almost touching crossbar makes it easy to attach a Sheldon number to it. Thanks.
    Jim

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with the previous comments - and it seems that how these early coppers with problems are graded is one of the least consistent areas of TPG grading. We've all seen coins that one can't possibly imagine how they were straight-graded, and others that look pretty solid in details holders. Good Luck!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF details (strong date) but it looks like this coin had heavy surface corrosion that got worked out and this is what was underneath.

I've been looking at raw 1794s lately and they seem to be all over the map as far as what sort of damage is "market acceptable". Some vendors are letting the market sort it out and offer pieces like this at auctions starting at 99 cents... other vendors have BIN prices set to more than straight graded PCGS Price Guide values. I bid what I thought was strong money on a harshly cleaned VG8 (1795)... three other collectors thought otherwise...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

I just liked what was left on this coin and I'm overlooking what 220 odd years did to the coin. I have looked at over 400 photos of 1794 liberty cap large cents and not one had the details left that this coin has for under $600. So many had really nice obverses then with no reverses or barely a reverse. I really just wanted a readable date and liberty with an outline of a bust and similar reverse, but not easily found. Really nice ones are in the 4 digit price range which left me out. Thanks for your comments. I do not have intentions of sending this in as it will go in my new The_Dinosaur_Man's specially made album for my coin set, as soon as it arrives. lol P.O. has changed arrival dates twice now and neither were correct.
    Jim

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I just liked what was left on this coin and I'm overlooking what 220 odd years did to the coin. I have looked at over 400 photos of 1794 liberty cap large cents and not one had the details left that this coin has for under $600. So many had really nice obverses then with no reverses or barely a reverse. I really just wanted a readable date and liberty with an outline of a bust and similar reverse, but not easily found. Really nice ones are in the 4 digit price range which left me out. Thanks for your comments. I do not have intentions of sending this in as it will go in my new The_Dinosaur_Man's specially made album for my coin set, as soon as it arrives. lol P.O. has changed arrival dates twice now and neither were correct.
    Jim

Nearly all Liberty Cap cents have much weaker reverses than obverses. This is due to lower relief and the screw press used to strike coins during this time. The obverse was the hammer die and whether you got a strong reverse or not depended on how tired the mint worker was (and after striking a thousand coins or so you bet he would be tired).

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it makes Vf details, but it’s close.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

That is a beauty, Greg. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fine details. I was thinking VF looking at the obverse but the reverse certainly isn’t VF

• Options
    edited June 22, 2022 2:19PM

Wow, but that is a beautiful 94, Ikenefic.
    Jim

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Wow, but that is a beautiful 94, Ikenefic.
    Jim

Thanks... I wanted at least one straight grade Liberty Cap for the type. I opted for an earlier die state because I wanted a better struck reverse. Most of these come with poorly indexed dies making the reverse weakly struck.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2022 6:58PM

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2022 6:57PM

All damaged in some way or another and all them incredible :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:

@jesbroken said:

Nearly all Liberty Cap cents have much weaker reverses than obverses. This is due to lower relief and the screw press used to strike coins during this time. The obverse was the hammer die and whether you got a strong reverse or not depended on how tired the mint worker was (and after striking a thousand coins or so you bet he would be tired).

@lkenefic said:
    Thanks... I wanted at least one straight grade Liberty Cap for the type. I opted for an earlier die state because I wanted a better struck reverse. Most of these come with poorly indexed dies making the reverse weakly struck.

Ok guys, what do you think the PCGS grade is on this Liberty Cap, sorry for the glare, and marks and scratches are on the slab:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Haha... @Walkerguy21D ... I think I know the answer to this, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Maybe I should have put "straight-grade" in air quotes... lol..

• Options

I think it should be a VF35 if straight graded by PCGS. It may have been cleaned which might prevent a straight grade. That is about as nice a cap bust reverse as I have looked at(as I don't look at 5 digit priced large cents) lol
    Jim

• Options
    edited June 23, 2022 11:28AM

Oh it’s straight graded alright, but the weak strike on the obverse killed the grade. The white patch is glare, it’s uniform brown.

• Options

But apparently the 1795 lettered edge cents have the opposite problem than ‘94s; weak obverse, strong reverse. Here’s my low grade raw example:

• Options

The obverse always seems to kill more grades than the reverse. Shame as that is a most beautiful reverse.
    Jim

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Possibly vf20 details obverse, it doesn't really matter if the coin has the detail for the price that a person wants.

My 1794 Pyramidal head has some issues but I like it, PCGS F12:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

Here’s my thin planchet plain edge ‘95. I think the thinner planchet helped to balance the strike on both sides more evenly. Again scratches and glare on the slab detracts a bit.

• Options

Here's the 1794 I picked up at Baltimore this Spring. There are a couple of patches on the obverse that look like planchet flaws to me in hand, and a small spot of verdigris on the reverse. I believe this is an S-62.

• Options

Looks much more original, Jim.
    Nice pickup!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say VF details, corroded. I would still be happy to have it in my collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2022 8:39AM

Putting my EAC hat on, I would grade it F15, possibly VF20 details, with a net grade of G4 due to corrosion which left pits on both of obverse and reverse.

It reminds me of this coin in my collection, 1793 S-9, pitted surfaces obverse and reverse (fully stable).

• Options

When I was attempting to get a complete date set of Large Cents, the 1793's I was looking at had far less "meat" on them. I'd be thrilled to have this piece in my collection!

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have a problem with it either. That’s exactly the kind of coin I’d put in one of my albums given the costs involved for a problem free coin with similar meat left.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file