Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Bust Quarter from the Norweb Collection

EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2022 6:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A nice quarter which I bought at the Norweb Collection sale in 1988.

It was probably the most modest offering at the sale, it deserved only a one line description in the Norweb catalogue. But, I was very happy to have it as a young collector of U.S coins. Also, it was in-line with my budget back then.

I have taken the photographs at a slight angle in an attempt to show the toning and colours. What I have not managed to bring out are the reflective surfaces.

Would very much appreciate your opinions.

Thanks!

Comments

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not very familiar with the series but that looks like an amazing coin.

• basalstatebasalstate Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Love it!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi... That is a nice old coin, and you have had it for 44 years, and know the prior history. Great coin to have in your collection. Cheers, RickO

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice toning, great pedigree, minor obv nick is not distracting and ok for grade. Enjoy, i really do love this early Capped Bust material.

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot. Hammered reverse feather detail. Do you have it in a type set album? I bet it looks great.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coin and good score

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, if you are going to get it stabbed I would request to put the pedigree on the label. You will probably need the flip insert if you still have.

Norweb was one of the prolific accumulations of US put together over generations. Contained many of the iconic key dates in US classic.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old quarter with old toning and a pedigree that 's pretty old, too.

• EddiEddi Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown said:
    I like it a lot. Hammered reverse feather detail. Do you have it in a type set album? I bet it looks great.

Thank you. I wish as I was oganised as that :) I keep my coins in paper flips.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2022 3:26PM

A decent XF/AU, unique look.

@ricko said:
    @Eddi... That is a nice old coin, and you have had it for 44 years, and know the prior history. Great coin to have in your collection. Cheers, RickO

I suddenly felt very old when reading your comment :) . Funny, I still remember it like it was only a few weeks ago, such was the excitement.
    I filled out my bid sheet and faxed it to Bowers and Merena. Then, held my breath and waited long enough until I could find out if I had been successful. Being so far away in Germany made the excitement all the greater. I managed to win 3 lots out of at least 15 entries in my bid sheet...but still was happy.

@fathom said:
    Personally, if you are going to get it stabbed I would request to put the pedigree on the label. You will probably need the flip insert if you still have.

Norweb was one of the prolific accumulations of US put together over generations. Contained many of the iconic key dates in US classic.

Certainly true. The very profuse catalogs, 3 in total, gave a very detailed history of Mr and Mrs Henry Norweb and their collection. I still have them and look at them every now and then. I also still have the Bowers and Merena paper inserts which came with my wins.

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.... I would love to see a few pictures of the Flip

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I am not a fan of the obverse nicks, the rest of the coin is superlative for the grade in every way, and the pedigree ... absolutely top-shelf!

It's neat to know you bought it from the Norweb sale, and still have and cherish her today!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautiful and interesting coin posted by a straight forward coin collector...
    Forum is back in action!

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

A gorgeous specimen!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

very attractive, I really like the toning. And, from one of the renowned, classic collections.

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful looking coin!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB ... :D Thank you kind sir.... My mental calculator was fogged.... Back on track. ;) Cheers, RickO

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

You just aged me 10 years! I was born in 88 and I’m definitely not 44 yet lol.

@habaraca said:
    Nice.... I would love to see a few pictures of the Flip

I will post pictures of the Bowers & Merna Inserts that came with the 3 lots I won. Please allow me a few weeks to get back home to EU.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file