Home U.S. Coin Forum

Regarding Your Coin Collection.......

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Between the gaps and down times of buying, selling, trading, CRH'ing, submitting coins for grading or reading my words here, what are some of the things you guys are doing to enhance and advance your collections?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 8:51PM

I enjoy researching the provenance of my coins- it definitely adds to my enjoyment to be able to figure out where they have been and through whose hands they have passed.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm taking a bit of a hiatus from buying. This is going to allow me to get a better photographic setup. So, I'll be spending more time with the coins I currently have. Hopefully, my imaging skills will improve to the point where people can tell that my coins are actually real! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently I've been reading mint documents. Man, the mint and the Adams Express Co. were going at it in 1875...

Coin Photographer.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing. What ever I owned 2 years ago, has been sitting, unlooked at. Some have been sold but mainly just set aside. Coin collecting really lost it's shine about two years ago.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm usually saving for my next purchase between the gaps.

I don't have a large collection but I always seem to be organizing it. I recently bought a couple of plastic slab boxes. Perfect for what I have. It holds all 4 TPG'er slabs plus the old ANACS soap bars. I also bought a pack of those cellophane slab protector resealable sleeves.

Upgrading inventory with prices for the family, in the event of my untimely demise.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

still buying coins that get my notice and selling the ones that don't fit my collection

1997-present

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverpop said:
    still buying coins that get my notice and selling the ones that don't fit my collection

What are you doing In-between your buying and selling?

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Recently I've been reading mint documents. Man, the mint and the Adams Express Co. were going at it in 1875...

Do you have any links to what you are reading?

@LanLord said:
    Nothing. What ever I owned 2 years ago, has been sitting, unlooked at. Some have been sold but mainly just set aside. Coin collecting really lost it's shine about two years ago.

What caused it?

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fish or golf. For me, sometimes it's better to back away, lest I get in, "can't see the forest for the trees" mode ...

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

between buying and selling i'm dealing with whatever needs to be dealt with at the present time

1997-present

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go cherry picking every single day, on ebay. I have about 8 searches I do multiple times daily. I also monitor auctions of interest and study pricing of various series.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not purchased any raw coins since January. I have purchased a few slabbed coins (one at Long Beach in February and some from Modcrewman this month). I am going to attend a local show on Friday to snoop and socialize.

I have made 9 submissions of coins to PCGS so far this year. Three have been returned to me. Two more are in the mail as I type this. Two are in QA and two more are in Grading.

As grades post and coins are returned to me I study the grades and designations given by PCGS, I study my notes on my own personal grade opinions, I study the coins when they are returned to me, I try to learn more about having coins graded (and sharpening my grading skills) and I have been spending some time creating new Registry Sets.

I also play around on these Forums.

That's about it for now.

• LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Russell12 said:

@LanLord said:

What caused it?

Lost my wife to cancer 2 years ago this Sunday, today is our 37th anniversary.
    Coins just mean nothing to me anymore, they are just stuff.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanLord said:

@Russell12 said:

@LanLord said:

What caused it?

So sorry for your loss... it's tough to recover the passions that are part of our daily lives after they're gone. Peace...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@LanLord said:

@Russell12 said:

@LanLord said:

What caused it?

I am so sorry, I cannot imagine what you are going through.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten to a point where I want to complete a type set and I only need three coins. They're all pre 1815, expensive and hard to find. Someone I know who sees quite a few coins is looking for them. If I put out a want list to dealers, if they find anything, they'll be outbidding one another and I'll get stuck with the tab. So I wait.

I haven't bought or sold anything in 5 1/2 years. The last coin I bought was a very well struck 1817 CBH in a PC 4 holder. It's owner found one in MS 65 at one of the pedigreed collections of them which sold that year.

I enjoy the hobby, but am not pleased with all of the focus on marketing, and not on the coins themselves, though I understand why this is happening. To a degree, this is also why I may go to a show, do a look see and some meets and greets, and that's about it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I have the time I like to arrange my collection into 2 categories - "Sellable" coins and then "Keeper" coins. This way all the ones I don't mind selling for whatever reason, is at hand and ready to go..............

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every now and again I pick out 1-3 coins or so to upgrade from my favorite set and see what I can find. That's about where I'm at right now.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Realizing the coins I want are getting even harder to find. The good ole days are over.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

I look everyday for coins, and through my searches I'm looking through a bunch of material and getting to learn more about each type and what a good example is for the grade.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin roll searching.
    Just found this one. Not opened yet.

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

I check in on this forum several times a day, I peruse a coin dedicated Instagram account several times a day and look at GregCollections a few times a week. I try to look at as many coins as I can because I love seeing beautiful examples of coins and it helps to train my eye.
    I’ll also go through my entire collection from time to time and see which coins I would like to get rid of and put that money into another coin in an effort to always be moving from quantity to quality.

edited June 23, 2022 4:22AM

deleted. question answered.

@LanLord said:

@Russell12 said:

@LanLord said:

What caused it?

Very sorry for your loss LanLord.
    I can mildly understand your point. Every now and then when my wife and I get in a fight it gets me feeling down and sometimes I’ll think about my coin collection (I’m not sure why that’s where my mind goes in those moments) and I’ll think “who cares about this stuff, why do I bother with it?”

Did your wife ever share in any hobby related experiences with you?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file