Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

'71D Ike Record Price

daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/1153261/1971-D-Eisenhower-Dollar-PCGS-MS-67-CAC-Toned

PCGS has an historical price of $12,925 for an MS 64 from 2013, but that was struck on a nickel planchet!

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's crazy money for that Ike.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    PickwickjrPickwickjr Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow
    I can think of so many better coins imho to spend that kind of money on!
    Thanks for sharing, I’ll need to pay more attention to Ike dollars now 😂

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I do not collect Ike's, others do. When looking at other prices (auction and guide) for high grade top pop (which includes tied for) this price only seems a little high. Some others had only older data, and market is up more now, or none at all and few if any for sale elsewhere. If any of those tied top pop (with a dozen or more) ever get a plus then they will be similar in price I suspect. I was surprised to see a cac which may have contributed to the price. I checked and yes cac does MS Ikes. Not something I would purchase but I don't set any markets.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Big money for sure - have not followed Ike dollars, but a nice grade and a sticker brought out the cash. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a good deal that one is!

seems like 15-20 would be more appropriate.

technically, it is a variety AND an error as well as a toner and a super high-grade ike.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Nifty skin on that one. I'd pay up for it, maybe 20 bucks.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

what's up with the fields? die erosion?

Is it a type 6 reverse?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a VERY nice IKE. Not many come that nice.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conrad99 said:

Oh great, a newly minted PO-01 grading troll. Considering how you thought that 68+ CC Morgan was no better than a 63, I'm taking your grading opinion posts like a day old diaper in a Walmart parking lot - holding my nose with one hand and disposing of it with the other.

• Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I believe that you are mistaken. It doesn’t look like a FEV to me,

• Options

You can’t tell anything from the auction photo. Run the cert number and look at the True-View and you will see it is not an FEV.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    You can’t tell anything from the auction photo. Run the cert number and look at the True-View and you will see it is not an FEV.

except, it is. ;)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 6:48PM

But it isn't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Options

I know nothing about this but here is the top graded variety one from the provided link and CF for comparison.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 6:57PM

@GRANDAM
    this is the only diagnostic i've ever looked for the many i've found, other than some of the other obv varieties to match up with the FEV.

• Options

All you need to see is the fact that the earth is not round from about 9:00 to 11:00. The pictures aren't very good but I am confident that this is a regular 1971-D not an FEV. The islands aren't right either for an FEV.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@conrad99 said:

Oh great, a newly minted PO-01 grading troll. Considering how you thought that 68+ CC Morgan was no better than a 63, I'm taking your grading opinion posts like a day old diaper in a Walmart parking lot - holding my nose with one hand and disposing of it with the other.

No! Let him keep to his grading standards and start selling us coins at reasonable market prices per his grading!

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 7:34PM

The coin got it's grade from the BEAUTIFUL obverse. The reverse is weakly struck or at least appears to be so. Therefore it is misleading in the photo's. The island's are a blob in the photo's. The coin is not round enough to be an FEV. Blob island's are a trait of a regular 1971-D not an FEV. The reverse die appears to be badly worn making it hard to ID from the photos.

And as a World Famous Modern Coin grader once told me "backs don't matter much"

The coin is in a Gold Shield Holder and is fairly recently graded. Given that it graded MS67+ and PCGS knew it would be a big money coin I am sure it was studied very closely. PCGS has seen it in-hand. We haven't.
    I don't think they would blow a call like that on this coin.

I stand by my call,,,,,,,,,, it is NOT an FEV.

• Options

Wow, that guy sure is touchy! (Not to mention childish.)

I didn't even say a single thing about the grading, now did I.

• Options

@GRANDAM said:
    All you need to see is the fact that the earth is not round from about 9:00 to 11:00. The pictures aren't very good but I am confident that this is a regular 1971-D not an FEV. The islands aren't right either for an FEV.

i've never heard of an evil mimic for the FEV.

if the coin in the OP is not the FEV (i think it is and die states can vary a lot) then it looks like there are some in holders mis-attributed.

i'm all for updated info for varieties (there have been a few threads as of late) but for my part, until someone verifies an evil mimic die for the FEV, we'll have to agree to disagree and i appreciate a good run-down of some dies!!!! (especially for the sake of accuracy) :)

i'll throw this out for the record. it may be a die 1, die 2 etc situation there certainly seems to be enough of them out there to be possible.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

High Caramba😳

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:
    The coin got it's grade from the BEAUTIFUL obverse. The reverse is weakly struck or at least appears to be so. Therefore it is misleading in the photo's. The island's are a blob in the photo's.

Fire sale on apostrophes !

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

you might be wrong this time - the crater by the second L of dollar extends below top of the L
    there seems to be a scrape near the islands on the world
    link below is to the PCGS cert showing better pics than GC (can blow up better when downloaded)

https://pcgs.com/cert/44624499

• Options
    edited June 6, 2022 11:09PM

Calling The "King of IKE'S"

What say you,,,,,, Great Collections PCGS MS67+ CAC 1971-D Ike Dollar,,,,, FEV or regular 1971-D.

@ segoja

OK, the coin is registered in one of Hansen's sets. It is a recent upgrade so maybe he hasn't seen it in-hand yet.
    But PCGS has seen it and Ian has seen it and I can't believe everyone would have missed it. If it is an FEV I would think it would be noted in the auction description to increase bids. Maybe Ian has a policy not to call out a variety if not actually noted on the label. Still I would think it would have warranted a trip back to PCGS to be labeled as an FEV IF it is an FEV but I still think it is a regular 1971-D.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is the Friendly Eagle Variety - absolutely no question about it.

When variety attribution is missing on a certified coin, often it is simply because variety attribution was not purchased when the coin was submitted to the TPG.

• Options

@IkesT said:

When variety attribution is missing on a certified coin, often it is simply because variety attribution was not purchased when the coin was submitted to the TPG.

do you think it is possible to have more than 1 reverse die, especially considering there are at couple/few known different obv dies?

there appears to be a rather extreme difference in die states from the examples i've looked at recently which makes sense considering just how many of these are out there.

so there MAY be a little bit here to run down but i'm not a member of the ike group and perhaps die study(ies) have already been done?

while i didn't and don't agree with GRANDAM, i also don't discount what he has mentioned. i've seen it long ago and i see it now but don't really recall saying/doing anything with it. perhaps that time is now?

• Options

I would like to know the opinion of someone who has seen it in hand. The photos are poor.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I would like to know the opinion of someone who has seen it in hand. The photos are poor.

This is why I haven't commented previously. I just don't have much to add except support for your earlier comment that these don't come very nice. Overall quality is better than the Philly issue but Gems are even scarcer. I've looked at many many coins since 1971 and never found a Gem. I found lots of nice varieties and some very choice specimens, but no Gems.

From the little I can see from the pictures, it certainly appears to be gem.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@IkesT said:

do you think it is possible to have more than 1 reverse die, especially considering there are at couple/few known different obv dies?

Multiple reverse dies (perhaps as many as 20+) of the Friendly Eagle design were used to strike 1971-D Ikes. This is why it is relatively much easier to find an FEV Ike than, say, a 1972 Type 2 reverse Ike, as only 2 of the Type 2 reverse dies were used to make business strikes.

The auction photos and TrueView of the OP coin confirm that it is an FEV without any doubt.

• Options

@IkesT said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@IkesT said:

Multiple reverse dies (perhaps as many as 20+) of the Friendly Eagle design were used to strike 1971-D Ikes. This is why it is relatively much easier to find an FEV Ike than, say, a 1972 Type 2 reverse Ike, as only 2 of the Type 2 reverse dies were used to make business strikes.

The auction photos and TrueView of the OP coin confirm that it is an FEV without any doubt.

SHOOOO WEEEEEEEE! 20+ reverse FEV dies. well that answers that. we will have a myriad of variance of features and die states. if the feature of the "eyebrow?" above the eye is tied to the heart shaped feature on the moon on every die, then the moon diagnostic is all that is needed. if it is a die state situation where not all of the reverses that share pups but no the feature the moniker represents, then the moon diagnostic isn't always reliable. (some varieties, even having the same die, if it doesn't possess the precise feature either strong or weak enough in that case, will NOT be the assigned variety)

think 2 or 2 1/2 feathers, bugs bunnies (401 and 402) and a many others. SO, would you say officially that either ALL reverse dies have the required friendly "eyebrow" removed or worn away in order to be considered friendly or ALL the known reverse dies that match up other diagnostics consistently despite the state of the "eyebrow" diagnostic would be considered FEV? hope that makes sense.

• Options

As @GRANDAM stated above it is in a Hansen set but it is Andy Hansen and it is in a complete US dollar set. Might be in one or more of AH other complete sets as I didn't check.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset/283865

I don't see where this coin would be used as a variety here (or AH other sets). Initial search I only see the variety used for the Ike dollar with varieties set (maybe some other full variety set somewhere). So it might be that it won't be going for variety use. Appears to have been purchased for use as is. But could easily be surprised. I once sent in a coin for a variety attribution only because I was told about it afterwards and it was a high pop.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2022 10:59AM

Anyone notice the last name of the person's current registry set?
    Edit: Looks like @lilolme beat me to it.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@IkesT said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@IkesT said:

SHOOOO WEEEEEEEE! 20+ reverse FEV dies. well that answers that. we will have a myriad of variance of features and die states. if the feature of the "eyebrow?" above the eye is tied to the heart shaped feature on the moon on every die, then the moon diagnostic is all that is needed. if it is a die state situation where not all of the reverses that share pups but no the feature the moniker represents, then the moon diagnostic isn't always reliable. (some varieties, even having the same die, if it doesn't possess the precise feature either strong or weak enough in that case, will NOT be the assigned variety)

think 2 or 2 1/2 feathers, bugs bunnies (401 and 402) and a many others. SO, would you say officially that either ALL reverse dies have the required friendly "eyebrow" removed or worn away in order to be considered friendly or ALL the known reverse dies that match up other diagnostics consistently despite the state of the "eyebrow" diagnostic would be considered FEV? hope that makes sense.

By heart-shaped feature, I think you mean the Gulf of Mexico on the Earth. But yes, the major FEV pickup points (including that one and the missing eyebrow) are consistent on all dies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file