Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New addition to 1793-1807 type set. Kind of by mistake

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is well below the condition of most of the rest of my silver type set but with 1796 quarters you can't always be too picky, unless you have an unlimited budget.
Now just need to find a small eagle half dollar. Then I can focus on the gold.

On a side note this coin came as a shock when I won the coin. Playing poker with friends, drinking scotch and browsing heritage between hands may not be the best idea.
Completely forgot I was following this coin until I got the congratulations from heritage. On the up side I really like the coin

Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very choice example for the grade, and a great holder to boot!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Choice surfaces, and it looks like it exceeds the bare minimum VG08 criteria. Congrats!

Who won the poker game? Were you using bust quarters for poker chips?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking example. Awesome one year type and only 18th centry quarter. Dream coin for me. Love it!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    VicPortlandVicPortland Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Congrats. Nice looking coin.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice auction win! The surfaces are absolutely spectacular.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth said:
    Playing poker with friends, drinking scotch and browsing heritage between hands may not be the best idea.
    Completely forgot I was following this coin until I got the congratulations from heritage.

:D:D:D

Hopefully you were winning at poker too, so your friends helped pay for her!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth said:
    This coin is well below the condition of most of the rest of my silver type set but with 1796 quarters you can't always be too picky, unless you have an unlimited budget.
    Now just need to find a small eagle half dollar. Then I can focus on the gold.

Very nice! Congrats.

I am sure you can find a comparable small eagle half. $50k should do it. Hold out for a great one.
    Lance.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice bold date!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both the small eagle quarter and half-dollar are on my “someday” plan. Both will have to wait for a while. :)

This quarter is fantastic and would do quite nicely. Enjoy your happy accident. :)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, other than normal wear looks to be in great condition. A very special quarter!

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing poker with quarters could get expensive!
    Congrats on a nice pick up.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin for the grade, nice pick up.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fishteeth.... Very nice acquisition. Good detail, bold date... and the date starts with 17... Hope your poker game helped to finance it.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

amazing 'error'

[in forgetting the bid.]

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful coin, congrats!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous! Congrats!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a mistake! Congrats!

Tom

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

You won that hand for sure, congrats

• Options

Poker night tonight. I don't think there are any current auctions to get in trouble with
    Cask strength single malt

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

What a gorgeous example of America's most beautiful quarter design ever (imho)! It seems that every coin in your collection is high on the PQ chart. That bottle of Scotch is lovely as well.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an exceptionally attractive coin. > @fishteeth said:

Poker night tonight. I don't think there are any current auctions to get in trouble with
    Cask strength single malt

No 1794 dollars or 1792 half dismes to accidentally buy tonight?

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    edited June 2, 2022 8:20PM

I would love to find a 96 or 97 half to accidentally buy tonight

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the poker game can run long enough, you can bid on this one in 2 days....

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1166478/1796-Draped-Bust-Half-Dollar-15-Stars-PCGS-VF-35

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file