Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

JA from CAC discusses toned coins

SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 21, 2022 9:57AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I’ve always liked Seth Chandler’s enthusiasm for coins and his inventory — cool vid here from his YouTube channel talking with JA about toned coins that didn’t receive the bean and why. 😎🍺

https://youtu.be/OwXJf_NjJ38

Comments

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished watching it. Great insight with the failed examples.

Tim

• Options
    edited May 20, 2022 11:20PM

@pointfivezero said:
    Just finished watching it. Great insight with the failed examples.

Tim

I appreciate that he’s willing to candidly point out coins sometimes being on the fence — the ones that sometimes might bean but other times not. And the fact that tone doctors are getting more sophisticated, and that will inevitably result in some AT coins getting beaned—but with the attitude that they endeavor to eventually weed those out.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer ... Thanks for posting this video. Very interesting. No doubt the processes for AT have become very refined.... May eventually cool the color market. Or not. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 7:38AM

im glad i spent the time to watch it, again better knowledge/understanding sure helps out. best wishes all :)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent video, and very informative - thanks for posting this for the forum.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great insights. My question would be around the 18 minute mark with the ms64 Morgan, I got the impression based on his comments that he does not view every coin but definitely takes responsibility for his staff if they green light a coin that should not pass.
    Anyone else have thoughts on this?

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks @SethChandler for doing this interview. its very interesting and much appreciated.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Much of the examination is a hunch (a hunch based on experience) and not a science.

peacockcoins

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

JA makes grading more understandable.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2022 10:01AM

@steveben said:
    thanks @SethChandler for doing this interview. its very interesting and much appreciated.

Thanks for tagging Seth — I had a brain fart and forgot that he is a forumite here. 😎. Sorry Seth!

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree this was a really informative video. Thanks to JA and Seth! While I consider too old for Instragram, I've enjoyed his videos.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, that's pretty cool. To me it shows that JA offers another set of discerning, conservative eyes.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I truly enjoyed this video. I like how JA elaborated on the fact that if a coin is questionable to CAC, does not mean it IS definitely AT or below grade, just that to him it could be and he is the one who has to guarantee his work. Borderline issues happen on all sides of the fence and we as collectors have to abide by the decisions of the graders. Thanks for posting.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb information.

Drunner
    ("BagBurn"--2011-2022)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very excellent video. It reinforces how CAC can be a great insurance for a coin (a backup net in a sense) and that if coins don't sticker it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad coins. I would jump on that 1942 PR67 dime in a heartbeat, although the hairlines are there, that color is so rarely found on those coins when they show contrast and full detail. I'm surprised JA didn't take into account the contrast when grading it, I think that's what pushed it over the edge at PCGS. Not saying he's wrong in any way, just my personal opinion. JA clearly knows more about grading than I do.

And I had to mention the 1938 Felix Schlag proof nickel card hanging in the corner of @SethChandler's office, what a neat piece.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great of John to agree to this. His willingness to do this speaks volumes to his integrity. Well done. Thanks to Seth for the opportunity to learn.

• Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

My takeaway is that JA is opposed to net grading of toned coins (meaning - it's a 64 but because of awesome color it gets a 65.) That's super insightful. Personally, I would prefer the NGC star notation, where you get a technical grade and then the star because it's awesome vs. the grade bump due to color.

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Great video. I'd love to see something similar from a PCGS grader.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well worth watching, thanks for posting it.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredF said:
    My takeaway is that JA is opposed to net grading of toned coins (meaning - it's a 64 but because of awesome color it gets a 65.) That's super insightful. Personally, I would prefer the NGC star notation, where you get a technical grade and then the star because it's awesome vs. the grade bump due to color.

But some of us believe that some “Star” coins have already received a grade bump, due to the highly attractive color that (also) leads to the designation.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    QE GuyQE Guy Posts: 307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got some CAC coins that I like a lot

Got some non CAC coins that I like a lot

Got what I like a lot

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic video and I’m grateful those involved took the time to do it. Seth is a class act and John’s comments are always insightful.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredF said:
    My takeaway is that JA is opposed to net grading of toned coins (meaning - it's a 64 but because of awesome color it gets a 65.) .

It did seem the case in the video for that particular group of coins for sure, but none of those coins had off the charts eye appeal. I would guess that it’s a lot easier to sticker a color bumped coin that makes your jaw drop (but then the eye appeal itself presumably becomes a stronger factor in assessing the grade as well.)

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great watch, exactly why one should send in eligible coins to CAC and learn. His comments on why the coins did not bean were exactly the feedback I have been getting for the no-beaners from him. This is also why CAC should and do carry a premium, they are weeding out the overgraded, the coins with manipulations, etc. JA was also candid in pointing out that they are not perfect but learn from their mistakes.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BenVBenV Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

This was incredible, I could watch JA critique coins for hours. Thanks to both Seth and JA for doing this, and I would happily watch any more they chose to grace us with.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BenV said:
    This was incredible, I could watch JA critique coins for hours. Thanks to both Seth and JA for doing this, and I would happily watch any more they chose to grace us with.

Gotta agree wholeheartedly!

Tom

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to both the poster who posted this and the people who made it. Very kind and helpful of them to take the time to further our numismatic education.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome video and insight from JA ... thanks @SethChandler and JA !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing this. It answers some questions and raises others. I see CAC being more fussy now in stickering coins than 3 or 4 years ago.

On one hand, I upgraded a stickered coin in MS 66 to MS 67 and he didn't sticker it as a 7. I thought it would get a 6 + and agreed that the coin wasn't all there for an MS 67.

However, I sent in an attractively toned New Orleans Barber Half in MS 65 that I got from Brandon Kelley many years ago, and it didn't sticker. I asked about it, and I was told that it didn't sticker because it had a weak strike. I still have a problem with this, because 90% of coins struck in New Orleans have weak strikes. Furthermore, I sent in a toned Seated Half in MS 65 that did get a CAC sticker.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watched the video straight through and really found it enlightening.......thanks for sharing, David.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very informative video.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely and interesting video. I'm surprised it took him 2 looks on that MS67+ 1884 O morgan. I thought it was AT right away because of the super steep color gradients on it but he originally said he would have stickered it as a 66 until he looked at it again.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    edited May 25, 2022 7:44PM

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Definitely and interesting video. I'm surprised it took him 2 looks on that MS67+ 1884 O morgan. I thought it was AT right away because of the super steep color gradients on it but he originally said he would have stickered it as a 66 until he looked at it again.

I shared your thoughts about it.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

The video was a great idea, informative and well edited by the person that handled it.

1. Certain coins are necessarily borderline and JA doesn’t pretend otherwise. As great a grader as he is and those on his team are, they might come to a different conclusion depending on the day they look at the coin. This does not equal inconsistency but instead is evidence of the subjectivity of grading.
    2. JA knows color and most of the submitters’ complaints can be explained as ownership adding a point. None of the toners looked like showstoppers to me.
    3. Most of the coins would sticker at an appropriate lower grade.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was definitely worth the 30 minutes, thanks for posting.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another takeaway is that if a coin gets a grade bump for color, JA will still treat the coin as if was the original grade and not sticker it.

When coins started getting grade bumps for color, I jumped on an MS 66 Buffalo Nickel that was a 6 all day long but had truly amazing color. I got it upgraded to MS 67. Next time I'm at the safe deposit box, I'll see if I was able to get it stickered. I don't remember.

Like with grading, opinions change over time, and JA implied as much in this video re CAC. For me, this is the most frustrating thing about the hobby, though I get it.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great video. I got to sit with him once while he explained to me why he did and did not sticker my coins. Invaluable experience!

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file