Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Early copper show and tell.

Coinslave87Coinslave87 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2022 10:32AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My daughter and I have been enjoying this set. We have come along way. Still many holes to fill but are happy and looking forward to the hunt. We have bonded over this for the passed 2 years.
1793 chain is a “copy” maybe one day we will get the real one ha.

Successful transactions with: Jinx86, Flcardtrader, Robkool, JWP.

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's quite the undertaking! Congrats on your progress...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those classic heads are tough.

Nice work.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great looking set, congrats on your progress and especially the bond that is happening with your daughter.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Very impressive. I agree with the above that of all the types, it is surprising that you have the 1808-1814 complete as they are difficult. Your pic quality is good enough to zoom in and study the coins. Of the Classic Head, only the 1811 is a little rough.

How old is the daughter and how did you get her interested??

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a guy at the Long Beach shows with bins of old Coppers; $15, $20 and $25. You won't find any Classic Heads, but you'll find many of the later dates, some with full liberty on the obverse.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice collection. I agree with regards to the numismatic bond between you and your daughter. Congrats on both.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set, and glad the daughter is interested in these!
    I’m impressed with the 1824….that looks like a solid Vf, and it’s a relatively low mintage coin. The cent production listed for that year also contains all the 1823 dated coins.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! The search is so much fun- I wish I could get my kids interested but no luck just yet! Still too much into soccer and TikTok.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Work like that is a good thing

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I’m impressed with the 1824….that looks like a solid Vf, and it’s a relatively low mintage coin. The cent production listed for that year also contains all the 1823 dated coins.

His 1824 looks nice... as does his 1816.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@Walkerguy21D said:

Nailed it. It was slabbed VF detail EV damage. Cracked it for book.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭

Nice, you've got several that I am missing!

• Options

@hbarbee said:
    Very impressive. I agree with the above that of all the types, it is surprising that you have the 1808-1814 complete as they are difficult. Your pic quality is good enough to zoom in and study the coins. Of the Classic Head, only the 1811 is a little rough.

How old is the daughter and how did you get her interested??

She is 7 now. Long story short. At first I’d have her put a few coins in a book for me and it’s history from there. First she just wanted to be the one to fill the wholes now she’s the one that wants to determine which ones are good enough to stay and which ones need upgraded . She’s isn’t to heavy into it but enough to enjoy it with me for the time being.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love sets like that.
    I remember going through Lincoln's with my son.
    Great memories!

• Options

The '24 is even better than I thought- looks to have minor ED on the reverse....I'd be tempted to try acetone or some old Blue Ribbon with light soft brushing. As a minimum to ensure it's no longer active, and hopefully remove some of it. But since it's an album it's also fine to keep it as is.
    Now the hard part is to get the rest of the middle date cents to match it! ;)

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@lkenefic said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

You’re right about the 1816…..some light surface issues, but it looks close to AU details. And not nearly as easy to find as the 1817-20 coins.
    I also appreciate the 1830, as it looks decent, and it’s also a lower mintage coin.
    Once upon a time, I had trouble finding a nice example of that date. Thinking it might be a sleeper, as the mintage is on the low side, I decided to put away any nice ones I came across. In short order 6-7 came my way, at which point I said “no mas”…..

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set

• Options

@Walkerguy21D said:

@lkenefic said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

You’re right about the 1816…..some light surface issues, but it looks close to AU details. And not nearly as easy to find as the 1817-20 coins.
    I also appreciate the 1830, as it looks decent, and it’s also a lower mintage coin.
    Once upon a time, I had trouble finding a nice example of that date. Thinking it might be a sleeper, as the mintage is on the low side, I decided to put away any nice ones I came across. In short order 6-7 came my way, at which point I said “no mas”…..

Here’s a close up of the 16. My daughter spotted it at the last Vegas show and had to have it.

• Options

Looks like microporosity on the surfaces of your 1816 but easily XF details, maybe AU. This date is tougher than I thought it would be to find nice. I bid what I considered strong money on a nice XF a couple of months ago, but was still outbid by 2 other buyers...

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool set … cooler story.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Coins, Great Story. I love to hear the father daughter bonding!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 5:25AM

@Coinslave87 said:
    Here’s a close up of the 16. My daughter spotted it at the last Vegas show and had to have it.

do you have a rev pic?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great set of large cents. I really like the old copper cents. Never did a set, but enjoy seeing them like that. Great that your daughter is having fun with you filling the holes. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking good! You'll have lots of fun in your future.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The history in hand with these coins is just so cool.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinslave87 said:

do you have a rev pic?

Rev of 16

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinslave87 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinslave87 said:

do you have a rev pic?

Rev of 16

thanks!

i saw the slanted B and hoped she had the n1 or 3! alas, it looks like the n2. still a nice coin!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file