Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone buying the Proof Gold Buffalos?

jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost $2,800 for a one ozer when gold is at $1,835. $965 in "value added"? A 52% premium is way beyond anything I've seen from these guys yet.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Comments

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I got hit with a lot of us mint orders this week 😬

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Got 1 ... keeping it rolling, I have every year, just missing the rev proof they did 1 year.
    But the premiums after market get even worse, so ...

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got one. I cannot seem to pass up adding to the herd each year. But that premium is STEEP!

• Options

Nope already own a fair amount of overpriced coins from the US Mint.

• Options

Got mine. It will be a birth year coin for the new grandchild arriving in November. My son will make sure the precious one is mature enough to receive it on my behalf, after I’ve probably done left this world.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! Nope, not at that premium. What level would I personally buy at? Well, with gold at the 1835 price level I might spot them 500 maximum....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I admire the tenacity of the buyers on this issue.
    Even if I was keeping this, which I typically do, I would just have a hard time accepting the initial beat down. That being said, I am super thankful I bought these years ago.
    I do still want the 2021 HR Gold Liberty, though. Just not yet. Toooooo steep, too much of a premium stomping.
    Patience I got.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that markup I can’t believe they sell any

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭

@jughead1893 said:
    With that markup I can’t believe they sell any

They do seem to be getting carried away the mark up.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

For gold coins I mostly only collect rare / early dates or the bullion eagles. I have a few bullion Buffalos too. They are not proof finish but they still look cool and cost spot plus ~5% (depending how many you buy)
    In the past I have succumb to the platinum proof coins - but probably won’t do that again (although incredible looking coin)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2022 7:37PM

No I prefer slabbed Gold Buffalos Uncs MS69 & MS70. Strong demand for them.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

Do you mean the bullion coins? I never understood why folks get those slabbed, they are worth the same value no matter the grade.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2022 8:17PM

@Che_Grapes said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Do you mean the bullion coins? I never understood why folks get those slabbed, they are worth the same value no matter the grade.

Like heck they are lol. Where have u been?

CPG,CF,NN confirm slabbed bullion coins bring more if not assurance against fakes. MS 69 Gold Buffs very strong sellers for me.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Birth years of 16 grandchildren, starting in 2007, with the last born in '21.
    If they don't learn to handle a buck, they likely won't be able to ride a Buffalo for very long when they turn 18.

And I wish I'd have opted for the bullion version. The proofs are "stupid" high.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I have one for type, and I think that the price gold bullion will head down eventually and take this coin with it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Not for me... not at that price/premium. My stacks are all comfortably profit. Do not want to dilute that. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Why? Premium etc.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got myself inspired by the herd mentality so Pinehurst purchased this today:

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will buy my usual 1 to keep the collection maintained. Buying a slabbed 70 from Stuppler because it's not worth buying and submitting myself and taking the chance getting stuck with a 69.

The premium is steep but the years when no one buys them they end up being the most valuable. If you don't grab one at $2800 now, the premiums will just go up in my experience.

Recent raw 2021's going for $2750 on ebay. PCGS 70's getting at least $3300.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

Guess I'm so used to everything being on backorder from the mint, I didnt expect this ... but my Buf is on its way already. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file