Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin doctoring of an 1871-CC Quarter?

REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 18, 2022 4:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Could be a rather "interesting" purchase: This past weekend someone bought this 1871-CC Seated Liberty Quarter for over $16,000 (with the buyer's premium)

Last June someone bought what looks like the same 1871-CC Seated Liberty Quarter at Heritage in a PCGS VF Details holder (Scratched) for $7200.

The big difference is all of those scratches through the lower obverse to the right of the shield and near and on the date appear to have been smoothed in some way. I could be wrong but I think you have to be very careful if you go on safari in the coin jungle!

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I’m missing something obvious (wouldn’t surprise me), but why do you think they are the same coin?

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a lot of work but it is a big payday.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming the same one, it doesn’t look like it is in a slab. I would be interested in seeing a better quality “after” image, where sold, and if it was indeed slabbed. The implication seems to be that it was certified straight graded and at a much higher grade but I find that difficult to see without more detail.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Maybe I’m missing something obvious (wouldn’t surprise me), but why do you think they are the same coin?

Hit through third pair of lines on shield. Hit on Liberty's shoulder. Lines base of bust. Weird toning above head. Weird denticles below 8-7 where the scratch was.

I'm guessing it's a lot more apparent in hand, the pics seem intentionally low res.

Highly probable it is the same coin.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does appear to be the same coin. Very good work on it.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 18, 2022 6:21AM

Just to be clear, the first coin was sold raw on Saturday by Gold Standrd Auctions on Proxibid. The second coin can be found in Heritage archives in a PCGS holder VF details.

The first coin was cracked out of the holder and automatically lost its scratches!!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@REALGATOR said:
    Just to be clear, the first coin was sold raw on Saturday by Gold Standrd Auctions on Proxibid. The second coin can be found in Heritage archives in a PCGS holder VF details.

The first coin was cracked out of the holder and automatically lost its scratches!!

Where and with what description, if you care to share?

Tom

• Options

@TPRC said:

Where and with what description, if you care to share?

This is Saturday's sale (cracked out coin "without" the scratches:
    https://proxibid.com/1871-CC-100-Known-Seated-Lib-Quarter-LIGHTLY-CIRC/lotInformation/68194512

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 9:07AM

from this comparison, i'd say it isn't the same coin. the difference in dentils is pretty stark.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    from this comparison, i'd say it isn't the same coin. the difference in dentils is pretty stark.

I disagree. Its a really good patch job, IMO. Lots of techniques involved here.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lower shield flaws are in exactly the same position. Looks like same coin.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the photos are not good enough to determine for sure of the two photos being the same coin. While many things are similar there are a couple of things not similar at all, suchas, the top of the 2nd 1 in the date and the lower denticles seem to me to be totally different shapes. Better photos would help. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

From just blowing up the images on the screen, the dentils of the two images appear that same around the coin except in the area of the date. The dentils on the scratched coin (2nd image) remain relatively the same. A rather longer and slender dentil all the way around. The dentils on the first image change in the area of the date and become a little shorter and a few fatter. Possibly due to repair?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

these blowups of the date are not taken with the same lens details and distance.
    so can not be used to compare in detail.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 9:01AM

Same coin. I highlighted two matching marks:

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 10:29AM

Which raises a couple of very interesting questions, if it is an altered coin, as follows:

1. If the coin's appearance actually improves, and if no representations are made, and therefore no mis-representations are made, is it wrong to do this?
    2. Doesn't caveat emptor --buyer beware-- apply?
    3. Is it even better or more desirable to do this-improve the coin?
    4. Codes of Ethics likely apply. For example, the ANA code of ethics and PNG code of ethics forbid such activity, (which is a good reason to purchase from members of such entities, or from auction houses that frown on such activities) but is it improper if you are not a member of an organization that adopts such a rule?
    5. Is it illegal? Without a misrepresentation, I doubt it is illegal, since it would be difficult to prove an intent to deceive by the lister, but I am not sure.

Tom

• Options
    edited April 18, 2022 10:54AM

@TPRC said:
    Which raises a couple of very interesting questions, if it is an altered coin, as follows:

1. If the coin's appearance actually improves, and if no representations are made, and therefore no mis-representations are made, is it wrong to do this?
      Is it even better or more desirable to do this-improve the coin?

I wonder how the person who paid about $9,000 more just 9 months after the Heritage sale would answer these?

My guess is if you sent this coin back to PCGS it would come back as VF Details - Altered Surface (or Repaired). Yes, the coin does look better, BUT......

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

The details grade does represent non-mint effects in a broad sense, IMO. Buyer due diligence of the damage should influence the value of the coin. Excellent research and analysis here! Thanks. Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

That gives a stark example of the phrase "problem coin".

• Options
    VictaVicta Posts: 29 ✭✭

I don't think they are the same coins because of the difference in the dentils (left of date), the level of detail on the head and star radials, as well as the chatter on the left arm of Ms. Liberty on the first picture. Also, the first 1 of the date is different at the top. To my eye, the contact mark on stripe 3 of the shield is deeper and shorter on the first pic and the scratches on the legs do not appear to line up perfectly. Certainly, better pics would help. I wonder how the reverses compare?

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @LanceNewmanOCC, @jesbroken, @Victa and others that these are not the same two coins. I can see how it might be confusing, but there's two much differentiation to possibly be the same (reworked) coin. Why would someone rework all of the dentilation from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock on the obverse? And the date logo type is incorrect. I see the scratch remnants ... close but no cigar.

How many dies were used for the 1871-CC quarter? One obverse and one reverse? I am not sure and I don't have time to check the books. Is the one that just sold even genuine?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

With all due respect @Victa, there are some notable Numismatists and Dealers commenting on this thread and their conclusion seems to be that the coin has been tooled and smoothed for profit. Matching deep gouges that DCarr has pointed out leave no doubt.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, why are we all arguing over something that could be easily solved? Where is the reverse of both coins so we can see if there are clearer matching marks there?

Currently, I'm also not convinced this is the same coin. The stars all have varying levels of detail between the two coins, and the last one (the number) in the date on both coins is different in an area where it likely was not touched, particularly the left bottom serif. What really got me was how on the first star to the left of the date has a short arm closest to the rim on the Details coin, whereas the coin in question has a long arm. There are also extra hits on the coin in question's arm of Liberty (left are to the viewer) that are not visible on the Details coin. Yes, some hits match, but there are too many differences to rule out different coins yet.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Questions for those who think that this is the same coin:

1) why would the "coin doctor" spend a tremendous amount of labor and skill to rework the denticles from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock? Notice how all of the dentils in that area seem to flow to the right, whereas they should point to the center of the coin.

2) why did the dentilation magically grow longer on the purportedly reworked piece?

3) why would the "artisan" take the time to rework the "1" in the date, when the damage did not affect that part of the date?

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alpha33 said:

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    Although appears improved, also appears criminal & fraudulent.

How so?

I'm not saying the seller was the one who doctored the coin, or was even aware themselves what happened. But whomever did this was deceitful, caused the buyer damages, and committed a fraud. Someone had to be skilled to do this and knows coins and value. Appears PCGS sued some defendants in federal court for doctoring coins in the past, so wouldn't be the first time someone was charged with doctoring coins, just MHO.

• Options

@FlyingAl pointed out the obvious that we all overlooked: Let's see the reverse photos of each coin. Great point!

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said: With all due respect @Victa, there are some notable Numismatists and Dealers commenting on this thread and their conclusion seems to be that the coin has been tooled and smoothed for profit.

I didn't realize that I needed to be a noted numismatist or dealer to express my opinion. Let's see the reverse!

• Options

Reverses, they're not much more help. Took some clever search keywords to bring up the non-Heritage coin though:

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@numisma said:
    Another real possibility is that this is a die-transfer (EDM) counterfeit with reworked dentilation. It would not be the first time that we have seen something like that. It could also possibly explain the remnants of the scratches that @dcarr pointed out with photos. For those of us that have been around for awhile, we know that this can (and has) happened.

Hopefully whomever purchased that coin will send it to PCGS for authentication.

The more I look at this coin, I think this may be it. We've seen this happen, and the fakes look very good, good enough to fool PCGS as we've seen with some Seated Dollars. It generally happens with Details coins as well.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

The die dots under the left wing (facing), the shape of the first c in the mintmark and the shape of the upper berry seem different to me.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whether or not the end product is that of a coin doctor, the auction company should be contacted with serious concerns about how the coin was run; no auction entity is immune from the law, especially the uniform commercial code. Also state AG and consumer affairs could be contacted with concerns possibly by someone with official capacity at the ANA.

• Options

Nice work on the reverse photos @FlyingAl. The coin that was recently sold at auction for $16,000 appears to be a die transfer counterfeit.

The die makers often rework the dentils, dates and other areas to strengthen parts of the die that did not transfer well enough. That explains the obverse scratch remnants pointed out by @dcarr.

Take a look at this blatant mark on the reverse die. The odds would have to be one in a billion to have the same obv/rev hits on two different circulated coins. Again, this is nothing new. Scary stuff though.

• Options

Yes, this coin does appear to be a very well done die transfer counterfeit. The two raised marks that @Victa pointed out are also what led me to this conclusion.

Here is the auction link to anyone interested. It's an auctioneer I've never heard of. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/126644760_1871-cc-100-known-seated-lib-quarter-lightly-circ

Coin Photographer.

• Options

Well this may be an even sadder story. Instead of doctored, the coin may have been cloned.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 1:48PM

I was going to say it's a struck copy from dies made with the original (scratched) piece, but y'all beat me to it.

Getting off on a tangent here, but I believe the 1871-CC quarter is the second rarest Seated quarter behind the 1873-CC No Arrows. I have been counting 1870-CC and 1871-CC quarters from all sorts of sources for many years now, and saving the photos. There are many more 1870-CC coins available for sale. The 1872-S and 1873-CC Arrows might be the primary challengers for the #2 slot behind the 1873-CC NA, IMHO.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 2:22PM

@numisma said:
    Questions for those who think that this is the same coin:

1) why would the "coin doctor" spend a tremendous amount of labor and skill to rework the denticles from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock? Notice how all of the dentils in that area seem to flow to the right, whereas they should point to the center of the coin.

2) why did the dentilation magically grow longer on the purportedly reworked piece?

3) why would the "artisan" take the time to rework the "1" in the date, when the damage did not affect that part of the date?

This comparison seems wrong, because the lower photo is rotated clockwise, relative to the top photo.

Here is a comparison with both images straightened.
    Your comparison of the dentil slopes on the left side was incorrect because of cleaning in the second photo
    that obscured the spaces between the dentils.
    The longer dentils might seem like a problem.
    However, I think the dentils appear "wider" in the doctored coin due to cleaning between the dentils,
    which makes them appear shorter.
    Compare the apparent inter dentil spacing.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2022 2:21PM

I don't see why the cluster of 3 raised dots suggests a die transfer.
    Those could easily be caused by pits / gouges on the original die,
    and appear in both photos because the original coin is the same.

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

The distortion of the O of DOL, which is damage received from circulation, appears identical on both coins. That, and other marks indicated above, convince me they appear to be the same coin.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Nice catch, REALGATOR.

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm so glad to see the conversation go this direction. i wanted to say something earlier but didn't have the energy to defend the point and we discuss a LOT of coins here and i wasn't up for running this one to ground and was saving time/energy for what may be posted next.

good job getting all the images, doing the legwork and coming up with the current theory. i would go for counterfeit before saying it is the same coin.

NOW that doesn't mean that the scratched coin isn't possible the source coin even. i briefly thought of that in light of what @burfle23 has posted.

btw burfle, do you have a space at the end of your name. not a big deal but when i @ you, it puts a space at the end.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    I don't see why the cluster of 3 raised dots suggests a die transfer.
    Those are more likely caused by pits / gouges on the original die,
    and appear in both photos because the original coin is the same.

Raised dots in fields often suggest counterfeits in many cases, it's right up there with tool marks. The mint would likely not allow pits/gouges in that area and would send the die to be resurfaced and repaired before further use. I do think you probably knew this though.

It would also be caused by hits in the coin that transferred out. I don't know exactly how the counterfeit dies are made, so I am likely not the best person to ask. The denticles and other marks add up to having a counterfeit die be the most likely option.

Coin Photographer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file