Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1945 Lincoln Wheat penny missing Amer in America

So what’s everyone’s thought’s on this I’m back and still new to the hobby. So I got a roll of pennies a few months ago and just got around to opening them. And I found this gem would it be worth sending it in to get graded, or just keep it because it looks cool?

Comments

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better photo's would help. Could be a struck thru. Or grease filled die.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears to be a struck through... but close examination would be required for confirmation. Does not appear to be evidence of a severe hit, which should show on the obverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably post mint damage ... by someone with the initials ICA.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lincolns head seems to be a bit flat in the same area of the reverse damage - so I'll go pmd also......

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I state with confidence that you have a minor struck-through error. Do NOT have it encapsulated as the value is at best a couple bucks.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP asked, "would it be worth sending it in to get graded".

I'd turn that around to the original poster:

• How much do you think it is worth now, as is?
    • How much do you think it would cost to get it graded, including postage both ways?
    • What grade do you think it would be graded as?
    • How much do you think it would be worth if it gets the grade that you expect?

"Worth" is a matter of personal opinion. Those questions would help you understand whether it's worth it to you to send it in to get graded.

• Options

Thank you everyone I dont get on here much. I’m just super jazzed to find something like this. No wonder this is so addicting it’s like a scavenger hunt 24/7 and a great deal of satisfaction when you find something so unique and different.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd save it for research data.
    Photos, as said, should be closer to view its obverse and reverse. Look for its patina to be smooth and even first.
    When was the Drummel put on the market ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file