Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone planning on trying to snag one of the $50 subs??

Comments

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Nope not planning on it. Wake me up when it's down to 20 even then most of registry stuff I had queued ain't worth it per card. Sad aspect of the bubble is registry collecting of lower value cards like 70's-80s's Non-Sport's (non Marvel, non Star Wars) is now critically endangered if not already extinct.

Registry collectors fueled PSA coffers for a decade during their leaner times now those collectors have all been metaphorically fisted. I have a looong memory.

PSA should allow registry set builders get a economy rate or we will never be able to finish our sets and this taking the fun out of collecting

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:
    PSA should allow registry set builders get a economy rate or we will never be able to finish our sets and this taking the fun out of collecting

I 1,000 percent agree with this. However, as hot as the card market is right now, PSA has zero interest in lowering the prices right now. SGC is currently at $30. PSA has practically zero reason to go below that.

• Options

@bobbyw8469 said:

@lawyer05 said:

I 1,000 percent agree with this. However, as hot as the card market is right now, PSA has zero interest in lowering the prices right now. SGC is currently at $30. PSA has practically zero reason to go below that.

i think they have an interest in keeping the player registries open...

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

@bobbyw8469 said:

@lawyer05 said:

Plus that would just prompt everyone to set up dummy sets on the registry just so they can get the cheaper rate.

• Options

@jeffcbay said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

@lawyer05 said:

Plus that would just prompt everyone to set up dummy sets on the registry just so they can get the cheaper rate.

@jeffcbay said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

@lawyer05 said:

@jeffcbay said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

@lawyer05 said:

You would only be allowed to get 5 cards from the same player and would have to be a one per account

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Finally got my first allocation.

• Options

@GoDodgersFan said:
    Finally got my first allocation.

I was in the queue and could have most definitely snagged one, but I thought to myself "Who am I kidding?".....At $50 per card, it would have gone unused. I figured let someone who would actually use it get it.

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

In today's lottery news ...

Spent 45 minutes in the waiting room, reading Highlights magazine and chatting with the attractive receptionist. Entered the 'Live Event' at position 2,642 when the exciting countdown began. Lottery ended abruptly with only minutes to go ...

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

How come I didn't receive an email for the waiting room link?

• Options

I waited in the waiting room 45 minutes and when it started I was 7,100th in line. It's rigged. The worst part is you wait as number goes down and then you get notified it's full. They should tell you at the start based on where you are.

• Options

@OneDaysRide said:
    In today's lottery news ...

Spent 45 minutes in the waiting room, reading Highlights magazine and chatting with the attractive receptionist. Entered the 'Live Event' at position 2,642 when the exciting countdown began. Lottery ended abruptly with only minutes to go ...

lmao

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pic?
    Lol

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

is your membership active ?

• Options
    Cs223406Cs223406 Posts: 143 ✭✭✭✭

I made it to 3,200 -- lol

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

Yes it is. All previous allocations events I participated in were accessed through their Instagram account. I have yet to receive one email notification, lame

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

They never have to open up other services when the $50 service is oversubscribed.

• Options

Is this going to be the future of us subbing with PSA?? Having to pray and hope that you get a "golden ticket" aka Willy Wonka??

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2022 4:29PM

@bobbyw8469 said:
    Is this going to be the future of us subbing with PSA?? Having to pray and hope that you get a "golden ticket" aka Willy Wonka??

No.

I think PSA has created a model where they can devote a great percentage of effort to the backlog (which is dwindling down slowly but steadily now) while remaining open for a controlled flow of minimal new submissions and using that data to inform and determine new pricing points. I imagine PSA is as much interested in the data they’re collecting through these submission events as they are the revenue generated: the emails sent out is a number, those that accept and join us a number, those that follow through is a number, etc. for example, when they get to a regular event at say $30, if they decide they have a high enough percentage of acceptance of emails and submissions sent in and can also handle the right number accordingly, that may be how they settle on a new price point and open the tier.

Bottom line, the Registry has been what truly sets PSA apart from the other companies and is far too important to be abandoned.

Any truly broken system usually means that to be completely fixed, things have to get worse before they can start to get better. Sports teams, alcoholics, societal change - they all work the exact same way. PSA is not immune.

However, I can say definitively the worst is already behind us right now if you really give it a fair look. Much of it has been incremental and therefore people haven’t noticed it in totality. It’s obviously not as good as it once was YET but I think it will actually be better (it is in several ways already) and if I am reading the tea leaves correctly, it will have attractive prices for Registry builders sooner than most people surmise.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

is your membership active ?> @Cs223406 said:

did u click right away ? > @Jayman1982 said:

@lawyer05 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

Yes it is. All previous allocations events I participated in were accessed through their Instagram account. I have yet to receive one email notification, lame

Wait u can access through Instagram ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

is your membership active ?> @Cs223406 said:

did u click right away ? > @Jayman1982 said:

@lawyer05 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

Wait u can access through Instagram ?

I know the information hasn’t always been exactly clear and widely disseminated but I believe this is all correct.

Not every submission event is ‘open for everyone’.

Some are but some are invitation only.

They can be announced via Instagram, Facebook, Twitter or email.

You can participate in any event that is open for all but for the invitation only events they send a specific link to specific customers - not sure if there’s a specific rhyme or reason to it and there doesn’t seem to be that I can tell.

If you win, it’s use it or lose it and no allocations until those allocations are either used or have expired.

Hope it helps; you’ve been around a long time and you’re a good egg.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2022 5:02PM

I have yet to receive a single email notification..
    I followed on Facebook, membership active.
    Went to PSA site at 11:05 & link was there to click on.
    Got in waiting room. When que opened up I was # 583..
    Got 5 allocated..

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

1951WheatiesPremium is spot on. The data PSA is collecting is pure gold. This information will be used to maximize operational flow when the backlog is finally completed. Th incoming and outgoing will be balanced out by price point and specials as appropriate. At some point, the registry will be a factor again.

• Options

@picklepete said:
    Got in waiting room. What que opened up I was # 583..
    Got 5 allocated..

In the homepage ?

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@picklepete said:
    Got in waiting room. What que opened up I was # 583..
    Got 5 allocated..

In the homepage ?

Yes..

• Options

@picklepete said:
    Got 5 allocated..

Congrats on your allocations. So if I understand this correctly, notifications are "randomly" sent out, but anyone can visit their webpage and join without an invite? What's the point of the email notifications only going out to select members then? ugh...

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

@picklepete said:
    Got 5 allocated..

Congrats on your allocations. So if I understand this correctly, notifications are "randomly" sent out, but anyone can visit their webpage and join without an invite? What's the point of the email notifications only going out to select members then? ugh...

No.

A lottery is a lottery. Getting in the queue gives you a chance. Being in first or last - in theory - doesn’t matter. User experience is just that - how people felt about it from their point of view. I take my information straight from PSA as to how it works; people tend to be less rational when it comes to their passions, cards being a passion for many here, and so when they get shut out the theories begin.

As for participation in the events, when PSA first announced these events, they described it as each one would be unique. So, some would be sent out as an invitation only to specific participants and some would be announced to and open to the public.

Again, in an effort to control the inflow of submissions I don’t think they really want everyone jumping in to every submission event. Hence them being done (mostly) during daytime working hours and not ‘mass emailing’ all PSA customers for each event.

Hope this helps!

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Jayman1982 said:

@picklepete said:
    Got 5 allocated..

No.

A lottery is a lottery. Getting in the queue gives you a chance. Being in first or last - in theory - doesn’t matter. User experience is just that - how people felt about it from their point of view. I take my information straight from PSA as to how it works; people tend to be less rational when it comes to their passions, cards being a passion for many here, and so when they get shut out the theories begin.

As for participation in the events, when PSA first announced these events, they described it as each one would be unique. So, some would be sent out as an invitation only to specific participants and some would be announced to and open to the public.

Again, in an effort to control the inflow of submissions I don’t think they really want everyone jumping in to every submission event. Hence them being done (mostly) during daytime working hours and not ‘mass emailing’ all PSA customers for each event.

Hope this helps!

They are controlling the inflow of submissions by capping each allocation event at around 1500 participants, what difference does it make if every PSA member sits in the wait room? By emailing only a certain number of members but allowing anyone who happens to be on their website at the right time is weird. Email everyone, blast it out on social media, advertise events on the webpage, and still allow 1500 per event, what's the big deal with doing that?

• Options

@Jayman1982 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

@picklepete said:
    Got 5 allocated..

No.

Hope this helps!

They are controlling the inflow of submissions by capping each allocation event at around 1500 participants, what difference does it make if every PSA member sits in the wait room? By emailing only a certain number of members but allowing anyone who happens to be on their website at the right time is weird. Email everyone, blast it out on social media, advertise events on the webpage, and still allow 1500 per event, what's the big deal with doing that?

I’m just trying to offer good information and at the same time doing my best to leave my own opinions of the process out of it. And I do not have ‘insider’ information to speak to the solid points you’ve raised, just speculation.

Perhaps there’s concern over how much traffic the system can handle?Or perhaps the more people involved, the more complaints about it to further clog up an overworked customer service?

Just figured if you wanted to get one in, you now have the know how and the means of doing so.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've submitted recently under Regular and it is clear that PSA has made a lot of process improvements. I like their phased launch strategy with the subs as they try to work out the kinks. I don't think bulk is coming back anytime soon, I'm guessing not until next year. They are selling out at $50 and I expect to will stay there until PSA sees demand slowing down.

Mike
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

@Jayman1982 said:

@picklepete said:
    Got 5 allocated..

No.

Hope this helps!

There are a lot of people here complaining that the queue is too deep and they have had to wait too long not to get a number. If PSA made a big deal of the "lottery" then there would be many, many more dissatisfied non-customers. Explain to me what the benefit is to PSA of that? I'd have to think that the sweet spot for PSA is 110-120% of the number of grading vouchers in the queue. That should be enough to guarantee a sell out. When it gets closer to 150% there are just too many people who would walk away empty handed and frustrated.

I'm tremendously encouraged that PSA doesn't seem to be offering more of these than they can easily grade, and, to answer @lawyer05 's persistent question, I think this will be a model for the registry cards when they clear enough backlog to open that up.

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2022 6:13PM

@RufussCkingston said:

@scotgreb said:

@bobbyw8469 said:
    How are you not eligible?? Are you not a Collector's Club member?

Currently an active CC Member and have been since 2004.

That is an error/message that you get when you already have an allocation that has not been used sitting in the submission center, you aren't allowed to have more than 1 UNSUBMITTED allocation at a time.

Click here and see if you have an allocation like the pic below. Maybe when you thought you didn't get one before, you actually did....

https://www.psacard.com/onlinesubmission/dashboard

This was not my issue. Best guess is that my error was clicking on the twitter link rather than directly from the email notification. At any rate, for Tuesday's lottery, I logged in (by clicking on the email link) from three separate devices (as was noted / suggested by another member). I pulled ~ positions of 7,500 / 2,500 / and 150 :). Sincere thanks to PSA for accepting my business.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

After going o-for-4 (or 5, I don't remember), I was quite frustrated, but I've gotten an allocation the past 2 times. If you really want to get one, try entering the event on multiple devices. For this past one I entered on 2 computers, my phone and an iPad. I secured the allocation on one of the computers. The previous time it was on my iPad. Just go what ever the lowest number is and close out of the other ones.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@shagrotn77 said:
    After going o-for-4 (or 5, I don't remember), I was quite frustrated, but I've gotten an allocation the past 2 times. If you really want to get one, try entering the event on multiple devices. For this past one I entered on 2 computers, my phone and an iPad. I secured the allocation on one of the computers. The previous time it was on my iPad. Just go what ever the lowest number is and close out of the other ones.

How do u enter the event if u are not getting the emails

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

It is usually posted to the PSA FB page.

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

The first few I entered via Twitter or Facebook, but I haven't seen the URL for the waiting room available in either recently. So, you may only be able to access the waiting room by clicking through from an email now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

@lawyer05 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

You can click through from the PSA website while the waiting room is open.

• Options

@scotgreb said:

@RufussCkingston said:

@scotgreb said:

@bobbyw8469 said:
    How are you not eligible?? Are you not a Collector's Club member?

Currently an active CC Member and have been since 2004.

That is an error/message that you get when you already have an allocation that has not been used sitting in the submission center, you aren't allowed to have more than 1 UNSUBMITTED allocation at a time.

Click here and see if you have an allocation like the pic below. Maybe when you thought you didn't get one before, you actually did....

https://www.psacard.com/onlinesubmission/dashboard

This was not my issue. Best guess is that my error was clicking on the twitter link rather than directly from the email notification. At any rate, for Tuesday's lottery, I logged in (by clicking on the email link) from three separate devices (as was noted / suggested by another member). I pulled ~ positions of 7,500 / 2,500 / and 150 :). Sincere thanks to PSA for accepting my business.

I think if you áre not logged on...you will hey an error message

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

just got one...I am doing it!

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

@shagrotn77 said:

Exactly!!! It's a dumb system they have in place. Advertise on IG, FB, Twitter, whatever, but don't send out emails to random members, blast everyone so it's fair.

• Options
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not currently a member, so pay $100 for a shot at $50 subs? No thanks!

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 485 ✭✭✭✭✭

0-5

• Options

@baz518 said:

Well, if you assume that you will get an allocation, you only need to submit two cards to get your $99 value since it would normally cost a non-member $100 per card.

In theory, you could enter the lottery as a non member, then if you get an allocation (it asks you to login at that point, if you are not already logged in), in an incognito browser window, login to PSA and purchase the membership, then login on the allocation window and you'll have joined knowing you get to sub 5 cards.

And you do get the magazine!!!

• Options

I lucked out today as I end up at 106th in line. Last two times I was 7,200th and 6,800th

• Options

@bobbyw8469 said:

Yep. With people willing to do the $50 per card that'll probably be the lowest tier price in the future. Maybe a bulk order of a 100 cards at $30-$35. The $10 per card days are gone forever.

• Options

Apparently i got one > @RufussCkingston said:

@baz518 said:

Well, if you assume that you will get an allocation, you only need to submit two cards to get your $99 value since it would normally cost a non-member $100 per card.

In theory, you could enter the lottery as a non member, then if you get an allocation (it asks you to login at that point, if you are not already logged in), in an incognito browser window, login to PSA and purchase the membership, then login on the allocation window and you'll have joined knowing you get to sub 5 cards.

And you do get the magazine!!!

If u get the allocation AND u áre not Signed on..it Will probable assume you are not eligible..

• Options
    StatsGuyStatsGuy Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

Not sure what I would submit. It didn't matter as my number didn't get much below 3,000.

Gretzky,Ripken, and Sandberg collection. Still trying to complete 1975 Topps baseball set from when I was a kid.

• Options
    DgilbertDgilbert Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

supply and demand, if the backload of cards were to get graded in a more timely manor say 2 months, then a ton of cards would be hitting the marketplace rapidly and " flooding " the market place. The market supply would overtake the demand and therefore driving prices, and the demand for card grading dowwwwwn. Market control ?? I'm just saying....

@Stoneman126 said:

@bobbyw8469 said:

Yep. With people willing to do the $50 per card that'll probably be the lowest tier price in the future. Maybe a bulk order of a 100 cards at $30-$35. The $10 per card days are gone forever.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix.
    instagram dgilbert008

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

My email “Join PSA ECONOMY event” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    edited February 10, 2022 7:54PM

@lawyer05 said:

If u get the allocation AND u áre not Signed on..it Will probable assume you are not eligible..

NOPE.... it will say you got a 5 card allocation and then there are two bubble boxes in the lower left to enter your login and password....

Now if you then login and you are NOT a member, it will say you are not eligible. Also, if you are a member, but you already have an allocation from a previous lottery that you have not entered cards in, it will say you are not eligible.