Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GreatCollections Acquires 1796 Quarter for $2.35 Million

vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2022 9:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As the first major U.S. coin rarity to transact in 2022, GreatCollections is pleased to announce the acquisition of one of the finest 1796 Quarters known at $2.35 million. Formally from the Pogue Collection, it is graded MS-66 by PCGS with CAC approval.

Representing a 38% premium to the PCGS Price Guide value at $1.7 million, the sale further confirms the strength of the overall coin market, after a significant number of record prices were set in the second half of 2021.

“We have wanted to acquire this particular 1796 Quarter for some time due to its superior eye appeal. It ranks as the second finest with CAC approval with an impeccable pedigree dating back over a century. This is a coin that is highly sought after in all grades, needed for sets of quarters, type sets, collections of key dates, not to mention rarity collectors,” said Ian Russell, President of GreatCollections.

GreatCollections purchased the coin from Blake Duncan of U.S. Coins based in Houston, who had previously sold the coin to a private collector two years ago.

The pedigree of this particular 1796 Quarter dates back to 1922, where it was sold as part of the Ten Eyck Collection. It then appeared in the 1960 auction of the Milton A. Holmes Collection.

In 2015, its last auction appearance was part of the impressive Pogue Collection, of which it was considered one of the special highlights.

All one-year type issues are popular among collectors, but in addition, 1796 was the first year that the quarter denomination was issued for the then-young United States. It took another eight years before they were issued again in 1804, and by then, the design had changed with the addition of “25” for the denomination and “E PLURIBUS UNUM” both on the reverse.

This is yet another major rarity to be acquired by GreatCollections over the past 12 months.

Other high-profile rarities include the finest 1804 Draped Bust Silver Dollar PCGS Proof-68 for $7.68 million, 1861 Paquet Liberty Gold Double Eagle PCGS MS-67 CAC for $7.2 million, and 1794 Flowing Hair Silver Dollar PCGS MS-66+ CAC for $6.6 million. In November, GreatCollections purchased the finest 1913 Liberty Nickel and second 1804 Draped Bust Silver Dollar in a three-coin transaction for $13.35 million.

Source: coin week.com/us-coins/greatcollections-acquires-1796-quarter-for-2-35-million/

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hella nice coin! <3

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2022 3:01AM

Provenances for the top 1796s and photos of several are at the usual spot:
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1796-25c/5310

The provenance for the above coin (#3 on the list) is shown as:

• James Ten Eyck Collection - B. Max Mehl 5/1922:507
    • Milton A. Holmes Collection - Stack’s 10/1960:2918
    • Stack’s 5/1975:824
    • L.A. Collection - Stack’s 10/1990:1634, $160,000
    • D. Brent Pogue Collection, Part I - Stack's/Bowers & Sotheby's 5/2015:1051, $1,527,500
    • The Type Set Collection (Oliver Jung @privaterarecoincollector ) (PCGS Set Registry)
    • Bruce Morelan Collection @tradedollarnut

The Eliasberg SP-66 is the #2 and can be seen in the 2014 auction:
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-quarters/quarters-and-twenty-cents/1796-25c-b-1-r4-sp66-pcgs-pcgs-1138919-/a/1208-5565.s

And the #1 is an MS-67 shown at CoinFacts.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

J Paul Getty once said he preferred rare collectibles to people because they were changeless.

Does GC collect as well as just auction coins and currency?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    J Paul Getty once said he preferred rare collectibles to people because they were changeless.

Does GC collect as well as just auction coins and currency?

They have a "client" for these (at least for the others,s, so i am sure that is where this is going), who just happens to own the 1933 Saint.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    who just happens to own the 1933 Saint.

Well, that's settled then, it's not me coz I only own a copy :p

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Avery nice acquisition by GC and or their buyer.
    Thanks for the post and great pictures.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the client who added this enormous piece to their collection. I, for one, will never fully understand the scope owning such a great coin. I don't believe few can.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love everything about this special coin.
    Simply amazing

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Just amazing! The artistry and craftsmanship that created that coin is inspiring - and done with 18th century technology!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are adjustment marks to make them fit in vending machines?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just super!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just fantastic!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! WOW! WOW! I have been studying early quarters including 1796 quarters for many years and I saw this coin before Pogue bought this coin and before the Pogue sale. Personally, this is my favorite 1796 quarter and congratulations on securing such a fabulous coin and truly a numismatic treasury. Ian, keep up the great work in acquiring the creme de la creme.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 9:03AM

@ianrussell said:

>

This 1796 Quarter was on our radar for a while, and we have multiple clients wanting it. It was not cheap, but in today's market, quality costs more and it's one of three coins that are in a league of their own for the date - plus it's one-year type, CAC, superb, proof-like and so forth.

• Ian

How does one handle the situation where multiple clients want the same coin? Highest bidder? First to reply?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

a true treasure which we dont see every day. best wishes all :)

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 9:20AM

@Zoins said:
    Congrats. That's a gorgeous coin and huge price!

This sold for $1.5 million back in 2015 on an estimate of $700k to $1m. This turns out to be a 6.5% annual gain.

Though I hate to monetize the discussion of such a beautiful coin, it's hard not to think about it when the sums involved are so large. If the owner had bought an S&P500 based mutual fund - which is my benchmark for the easiest, liquid-est, arguably safest investment anyone can make - on 5/19/2015 for $1.53M, yesterday that investment would be worth $3.35M. So one could argue owning that coin for seven years cost $822,786. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it could well be for a very wealthy individual owning that coin brought more than $822,786 in joy. And since no one can predict the future he or she could have made a different investment with a much worse outcome.

Edit: I notice the coin had at least two owners over that period, but I don't think that changes the point.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey savitale - while I agree with you about comparing how one can invest money, your really not looking at it the proper way. You are playing Monday morning quarterback. Its easy to compare financial returns to another investment after the fact and draw a conclusion. But this is not realty. One never knows what the return will be on an investment until they cash out. So to quantify return or comparing returns for 2 different investments is just plain wrong after the fact. Did you notice that the Simpson 1795 Eagle that he bought in the Pogue auction for about $1 million in 2015 sold on Thursday for $3.3 million. This coin tripled in value over a 6 year period. If you compared that to the S&P index, this coin outperformed the S&P, but if you compared this return to some cryptos, the return was horrible.
    Bottom line - This 1796 quarter is a true treasure and the pinnacle of US early quarters. I hope the owner of this coin, enjoys owning the coin as much as I enjoy viewing it over the years.
    Also, for those that view coins solely as an investment, remember the best investors diversity. Just my 2 cents.

@savitale said:

@Zoins said:
    Congrats. That's a gorgeous coin and huge price!

This sold for $1.5 million back in 2015 on an estimate of $700k to $1m. This turns out to be a 6.5% annual gain.

Though I hate to monetize the discussion of such a beautiful coin, it's hard not to think about it when the sums involved are so large. If the owner had bought an S&P500 based mutual fund - which is my benchmark for the easiest, liquid-est, arguably safest investment anyone can make - on 5/19/2015 for $1.53M, yesterday that investment would be worth $3.35M. So one could argue owning that coin for seven years cost $822,786. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it could well be for a very wealthy individual owning that coin brought more than $822,786 in joy. And since no one can predict the future he or she could have made a different investment with a much worse outcome.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think most collectors who spend a million plus dollars on a coin are using discretionary funds and aren’t overly concerned about the ROI. It’s also impossible to quantify monetarily how much pleasure the new buyer of this coin will derive from ownership.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the majority of collectors (who likely don't own any slabbed coins) would incorrectly assume the same of many of us, who collect 3,4, and 5-figure slabbed coins. Speaking for myself, I'm using discretionary funds, but I'm also acutely aware of the opportunity cost of owning coins, the ROI, and alternative investing opportunities. For me, this calculation includes both the financial side (pure math) and emotional side (personal enjoyment) but I'm not ignorant of either side of the equation.

Most people with money are incredibly aware of the details. That's how they got it and kept it in the first place.

Congrats to GC. This is a magnificent coin, and it's amazing that it somehow remains in this condition.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2022 10:22AM

So the question is: Is GC representing a whale or is @ianrussell building one heck of a personal collection/retirement portfolio? Regardless congratulations on the new acquisitions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:
    Nice coin

That is, of course, saying it mildly.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like I said when Bruce sold his “Holy Trinity”- nothing wrong with taking a little profit in a coin bull market. We’re only temporary custodians of these treasures and they will all be back around again.

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats to Great Collections and those involved! Another great coin.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

An exceptional coin from a very talented engraver.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file