Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

He’s back!!!!!

• Options
    dtsagent9dtsagent9 Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Awesome!!!! Good luck on pulling a Henderson and many other stars Chris. Can't wait to see them.

• Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

We’ll be…..(you know)…waiting to feast.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

After some needed chores today, time to sit down and enjoy these fresh 1982 Topps cards after 39 years of hibernation…

• Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

Wake them gently, and you shall be rewarded!

• Options
    cgfalconecgfalcone Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

I just found this thread. I’m really enjoying it and I don’t even collect baseball. I definitely wouldn’t have the patience for what you are trying to do but it’s fun watching you try to do it.

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Come on Rickey! One of my favorite cards.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

Great to see Chris’ insanely epic thread revived once again! 1980 Topps as the opener, are you kidding me? No one does it like you my friend.

Please build up to 85-87 product at some point, along with historical reference to our oh so similar childhood collecting days.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Nicely done. That does not help with keeping my two 1982 FASC vending boxes sealed though.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonner-riffic - nice hits! Thanks for the rips - am sure you are giving a lot of us the itch.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Nicely done. Saw Cal play. Glad you got to pay tribute to his great career by pulling his card!!!!! Thanks for sharing.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

Then my jaw dropped when I found this absolute blazer! This card is gorgeous and beautifully captures the young all-time stolen base leader as he goes to work…

Pretty amazing you pull this just after a poster says it's his all-time favorite.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a great 82 topps box!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that is why we break wax! No guts no glory, congrats!

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Excellent!!

• Options

How completely bad ass is that Henderson? So many great cards of the SB king, this one is right up there with those at the top.

What an 82 box to have opened! Perhaps the best you will ever open. After reading so many stories of tough grading, i hope that these do measure up to dime standards. Your sub, when that time comes, will be pretty epic in and of itself.

Is this the only 82T Ripken that you have set aside at this point? I don’t recall if you had others. My LCS never seemed to have This card in inventory. I might have owned one had that been the case. As it were it wasn’t until 2010 (when I got bak into the hobby) that I got my first one. A triplet of 9s actually.

Thanks again for sharing

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭

worth the wait

nice pulls

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

The '82 Ripken and Henderson are sweet looking!

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Wow!!! Those are some fantastic results on those 86s! That is my favorite year, as it was my first year. When they are clean, they look amazing. That Clemens-Gooden rack is just sick. Ironically, the only HOFer (to this point) on that rack is the Fisk. Back in 1986-1990, anyone you talked to would have told you that all three would be in Cooperstown at the end of their careers. Thanks for starting back up with the breaks! I've missed them.
    kevin

• Options

Agree entirely with Kevin’s assessment. The rack is amazing and I would bet any HOFER 10 is a fairly big score for 86T.

Love that Rickey!

John

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Agree entirely with Kevin’s assessment. The rack is amazing and I would bet any HOFER 10 is a fairly big score for 86T.

Love that Rickey!

John

That is a sweet Ryan! I haven't followed the pops in a long time, but an 86 Ryan 10 used to be one of the more elusive HOFers out there. Besides all the other problems 86s are known for, there is usually a whole bunch of stray pink ink found in Ryan's hat and jersey. Sandberg is another one notoriously tough with the same PD issues.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

All 9's

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Thanks for all the comments and sharing your love for 1986 Topps, Kevin. I agree that back in the 80s that pack was a lock for 3 HOFers on top. It’s a shame that drugs played a role in both Gooden and Clemens careers, albeit in different ways. Regardless, they are 80s HOFers in my eyes and I was pumped to find that pack smiling back at me.

Count - yeah, the Nolan is a tough 1986 Topps PSA 10. There are now 107 in the pop report, which is 3.5% of the ones submitted. The Ryne Sandberg is even tougher with a pop of 8 and only 1% of submissions. The other challenge is Eric Davis at a pop 4 and only 1% of submissions. I have a nice Davis to submit, but haven’t pulled a gem worthy Sandberg yet.

Joe - whoa, those are mighty fine 9s from the front. It just shows how subjective the grading process can be. I don’t mind strict grading standards, but when I see cards with tilt or noticeable print dots in PSA 10 holders it makes you go hmmmm….

I am working on setting up a 12 days of Christmas / New Year’s break that I will kick off on Dec. 21 and finish New Year’s Day. Seems like a fun way to spend the holidays! More to come on what will be included in the 1980’s love. Thanks to all those who continue to follow. Hard to believe this thread is now over 100K views.

• Options

I had 9's of Reggie, Ryan and Carlton in that sub as well that are sold. All looked amazing.

PSA doesn't like giving out 10's. I did get a 10 on an '86 Sutcliffe, would have rather gotten that on the Ryan.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe Those are some beautiful cards. Cannot see how they can really be improved upon.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Joe Those are some beautiful cards. Cannot see how they can really be improved upon.

Thanks, the Bando is centered a bit towards the top and the other two aren't quite perfect side to side. Low pop cards I thought would be worth a gamble.

• Options

Awesome stuff Chris! Lots of 80s love going down right there. Looking forward!

John

• Options
    Cory1976Cory1976 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

Sounds like fun. I will be watching.

• Options

Love seeing those stacks! I have a vivid memory of my LCS and there being cases, with boxes on top just like this everywhere of 87 Topps, 88 Donruss, and 88 Score. My 10 year old self thought it was pretty cool I could get a box of something from 1987 in 1989. Haha I love those over produced cards more the older I get. Thanks for sharing!

• Options

@MParker79 said:
    Love seeing those stacks! I have a vivid memory of my LCS and there being cases, with boxes on top just like this everywhere of 87 Topps, 88 Donruss, and 88 Score. My 10 year old self thought it was pretty cool I could get a box of something from 1987 in 1989. Haha I love those over produced cards more the older I get. Thanks for sharing!

You and I are in the same boat my friend! Thanks for following this thread and commenting along the way.

• Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭

Not sure that I’ve ever commented on this thread, but I absolutely love this project and have followed it from the very beginning. Thanks for the years of enjoyment Chris and looking forward to all of the rest of the story!!

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

Funny how these random packs accumulated over the years as afterthoughts to auction lots I won, where these were the extras thrown in. I started with the 1989 Topps cellos and wax. This set was central to my collecting years as a kid. The memories are certainly priceless even though the cards are largely worthless 🤣

If you were a kid collecting during this era, then you certainly recall all the buzz around the Jefferies FTC and Sheffield RC when these packs first dropped in December 1988. I remember my LCS getting a case just before Christmas that year, and limiting the packs to 10 per customer so everyone could have a few stocking stuffers. I bought my allocated 10 and remember the owner and his wife giving me two free packs for the holiday, since I was their most loyal 13 year-old customer. Amazing how those small moments of generosity stick with you and you adopt that same mindset to help others now that I am an adult. I was so blessed to have that LCS in my hometown. Thanks to Terry and Jan for all the amazing years of memories they created for me as a kid visiting their small card store!

Here are the stars and rookies from the packs. Nothing worthy of PSA 10 out of the collective 16 packs…

I ripped the nine 1987 Topps cellos next. This was the first year I went all in on collecting. I still love opening these. So many memories chasing the Canseco FTC and Mike Greenwell RC. Remember when FTC “First Topps Card” was a thing for the companies that missed the rookie boat the year before?!?!?

I did pull most of the key rookies, but again nothing worthy of PSA 10 consideration…

Up next were the two Fleer cellos. Nothing exciting in the 1989…

The best card in the 1987 Fleer cello was the Sierra RC on top of the pack. The Cooper has a shot at PSA 10, and is the only card I set aside for consideration so far…

Up next is the hunt for Frank Thomas. He became my favorite player as a kid once he began to terrorize pitchers in 1991. Hopefully we find a Leaf RC or the beautiful 1992 Fleer Rookie Sensation….

• Options

An anticlimactic start to the 12 Days rip fest, but I will not be deterred. No real love on the hunt for The Big Hurt. Here were the best from the 1990 Leaf packs. Such a simple, yet attractive design. Nothing worthy of PSA 10 this round…

I have opened 10+ boxes of 1992 Fleer Jumbo over the years. These are really hit or miss on the Rookie Sensations inserts. My experience has been 4-6 inserts per box collectively between the Rookie Sensations and Clemens Highlights cards. This box only yielded 4 total inserts, and unfortunately 3 were Clemens…

The lone Thomas highlight was this base card that looks like it has a shot at PSA 10. It will go in the sub pile for a time when fees come back down to Earth…

• Options

Alright, time to move to case fresh, full boxes. Day 2 is a 1987 Donruss Wax Box. Great design and loaded with tons of key 1980’s RCs.

• Options

Ohhhhh man. You know 1987 is my first year collecting too so that pile of unopened goodness is an absolutely gorgeous sight.

Unlike you, I never saw a pile like that as a kid. A shop here or a shop there might have had a box of 87D or 87F on the counter, but that was definitely not a given. I always wondered why distribution wasn’t so poor to my area (Staten Island/Central NJ)?

Really do look forward to the the rest of the rips. 87D rarely disappoints in terms of collation / star power and you got a great box right there.

Loved that 87F Sierra card as a kid. He was a big deal for a few seasons and we hoarded his cards in my collecting circle. As almost always the case, the 87F was the card to have. And nothing brings me back quite so easily as sharp, pack fresh 1987 Topps baseball.

Thanks for sharing and happy holidays!

John

• Options

Beautiful Bonds cards! You got your Christmas present early.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 23, 2021 7:37AM

Nice Bonds RC's. Dead centered to me!

I really admire your dedication to this project. This thing has been going on for years and you are still at it! Loads of fun!

Shane

• Options

Thanks to Mike, John, Joe, Shane and others for the kind words and continued encouragement on this crazy project. It has been so much fun. Hard to believe this has been nearly a four-year journey at this point! I am so blessed to be able to continue this nostalgia-laced fun and to share it with others who love these cards too. Up next is 1987 Topps, where it all began for me. Wax is usually a nightmare for pulling anything worthy of a PSA 10, so I know to manage my expectations 🙂

• Options

So by the time I was crazily into this set it was all about pulling McGwire. Joyner, Canseco were big pulls too, as was Mattingly (anything Mattingly was still white hot coming off the 84-86 insane years).

To see that little green nameplate as you slid the card and the McGwire in the fun 87T lettering was such a thrill.

But pulling a Mac in 87D was just incredible - and I got to do it once back in early 88.

And that’s why I still open all this stuff. Chris’ thread is really giving me the itch. I will do a box of something for Xmas now.

John

• Options

Thanks for sharing John…love the memories of chasing McGwire and Mattingly. We are two peas in a pod! Sorry about giving you the itch to rip, but looking forward to seeing what you choose. Just be sure to protect your amazing Fleer Wax Rack packs 😎

As expected, the 1987 Topps wax was outstanding nostalgia surrounded by terribly centered cards. I bet less than 2% of 1987 Topps cards were cut dead centered, before you even start to look for print defects and corner issues. At any rate, I simply love these cards. Here are the piles of non-PSA 10 cards that continue to build…

As luck would have it, Big Mac made an appearance. I have opened enough of these that I know when I see Ray Fontenot, green greatness is about to follow…

I’m looking forward to getting into the 1987 Fleer tomorrow. Like John, these were the hardest to find in my area too. This is my favorite Fleer set design of the 80s and the Will Clark RC was THE card to own back then, peaking at $35-40 as he destroyed pitching in the 1989 NLDS and WS.

• Options

In my 1987 circle that is a “MINT” mcgwire.

I found my 1987 album from when I was a kid. It’s awesome. A page devoted to each player. Eric Davis is the first page. 7 topps, 1 Donruss and 1 Fleer.

That was a “finished page” in my album.

By 1989 the 87F Clark was on fire and I didn’t own it. My Buddy bought one pack of 87F at the LCS and paid $5 for it

The Clark was pulled along with the usual Bonds in the sequence. Lights out pack for a kid.