Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Have you participated in Coin Swaps though these forums?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 4, 2021 9:59AM in Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Have you participated in coin swaps hereabouts?

Bonus question:
How do you add a link to another discussion?

Blatant promotion:
I just posted on Swaps, Tags, and Giveaways - "August Coin Swap! Blast from the Past! Come One, come Many!" - check it out, and join in! https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1061199/august-coin-swap-blast-from-the-past-come-one-come-many#latest

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never participated in a coin swap. I wouldn’t know what to send
    To do a link, just post the address like this. I copied and pasted the website address, hopefully it works
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1061199/august-coin-swap-blast-from-the-past-come-one-come-many#latest

Mr_Spud

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never done a coin swap... Though I have purchased from the BST (great resource) and have received - and given - some coins gratis. Cheers, RickO

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have not participated in a coin swap.
    Did purchase a nice Kennedy from the BST.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will swap cash for coins, coins for cash, but never swap coins for coins, Never!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I will swap cash for coins, coins for cash, but never swap coins for coins, Never!

Really? You wouldn't trade a 50% off center 2010 Lincoln cent for a full brockage Morgan dollar? Color me skeptical.

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

What about exchanging christmas gifts with your collector friends... isn't that swapping coins for coins? :tongue:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
    edited August 4, 2021 8:01AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Really? You wouldn't trade a 50% off center 2010 Lincoln cent for a full brockage Morgan dollar? Color me skeptical.

Really, how long have you been in the coin biz?

I have been offered someone else's crap for my ultra cool coins all the time.

BTW there are zero 50% off center 2010 cents making it rarer (non-existed) than a full brockage Morgan dollar.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

BTW there are zero 50% off center 2010 cents making it rarer (non-existed) than a full brockage Morgan dollar.

I'm not saying you don't get offered crap trades 99% of the time. But to say that you would NEVER trade a coin for a coin seems a bit hyperbolic. How about an 1889-CC Morgan $ for a $2 1963 Red seal?

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

I'm not saying you don't get offered crap trades 99% of the time. But to say that you would NEVER trade a coin for a coin seems a bit hyperbolic. How about an 1889-CC Morgan $ for a $2 1963 Red seal?

I do not live in fantasy land, offers will always be for lesser stuff for the good stuff.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, never have and dont care to

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

We did this a couple years ago in a secret Santa on this forum.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:
    We did this a couple years ago in a secret Santa on this forum.

That was actually quite fun and I enjoyed that.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I have done many trades with W quarters on the BST forum. Both parties have always been happy with the trades.😎

A secret santa swap sounds like a good idea. Perhaps whoever brokered the last will do so again.

Some of the folks on this forum, I would say a good deal of them are standup folks. I remember coins being donated for folks who were robbed of their collection, coins donated for a fund raisers for a victim of the paradise fire (2019s erp) as I remember and once there was online auction like event for an organ transplant. I wish this community was a microcosm for society at large.

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Moved thread to "Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways"

• Back in the ol'days we had people that would put a Tag/swap. Here's some rules I found with a run.
    Also we had your address and refrences.
    The Rules:

1. I will list contents of the TAG box when we come to an agreement in trade. I will list what is taken and what is put into the Tag Box.
    2. Keep the TAG box no longer than FIVE days, so that we can keep this in a timely fashion.
    3. You can trade up to any dollar amount that you desire.
    4. PCGS/NGC/ANACS Slabbed Coins ONLY!
    5. Ship VIA United States Postal Service (USPS) Registered Mail ONLY!
    6. Post USPS Registered Mail Tracking Number to the coin tag thread when package has been shipped.
    7. Values for PCGS coins are rated VIA the PCGS Price Guide, NGC coins will be 90% of PCGS Price Guide, ANACS will be 90% For the white slabs, 85% for Blue and Yellow slabs of PCGS Price Guide. The value of Problem Coins (EG: PCGS Genuine, ANACS Net Graded Coins) will have to be determined between Myself (TC71) and the person wanting to put such coins in tag box.
    8. A Cash purchase option is available. If you want to work out a cash deal, please PM me.
    9. PCGS Old Green Holders (OGH) will bring a 5% premium and PCGS First Generation Holders (Rattlers) will bring a 10% premium. NGC No Line Fat Slabs will be rated at 100% of PCGS Price Guide.

SHIPPING, CUSTODY AND LOSS:

The wholesale value of the box is YET TO BE DETERMINED (This is to be updated as the tag goes along!) You are fully responsible for the care and custody of the coins in your possession. If the coins are lost or stolen, you will have to reimburse me, TorinoCobra71, for the full current determined value of the box, TO BE DETERMINED, please be careful! The coins WILL be shipped VIA USPS REGISTERED and INSURED mail ONLY! NO EXCEPTIONS! Do NOT ship "certified", and do NOT ship via UPS, Fed Ex, etc. These services do NOT cover losses to coins! For those who have not shipped via USPS registered mail, you will need to get the paper tape and seal all edges of the box so the clerk can stamp each tape line. You will also need to fill out a USPS Receipt for Registered Mail.

"Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie I did my 1st coin swap with WQuarter freddie and I'm happy i did. Thanks again :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

No don’t do trades. Either buy or sell.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have done trades with members that have been present a long time.

• sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭

this could be pretty kool, did one here many mooons ago,

toner loner
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭

Back when I first started here, some 20 years ago, there were swaps frequently, then they just kind of died out.

imageimage

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like GaCoinGuy, in the past I did swaps and everything turned out fine.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • JWPJWP Posts: 17,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently did a "W" Quarter swap and it was really great. :):)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

FYI all,. Swaps are different than trades. In a trade, you exchange these coins X for those other coins Y specifically. In a swap, there are a chain of people each of whom sends some coins to the next in the chain, and you don't know exactly what you are getting.

Am

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    A secret santa swap sounds like a good idea. Perhaps whoever brokered the last will do so again.

I participated in a Secret Santa Swap a few years ago and tried to get one going again. The one who set it up did a great job but didn't have time to do it again, so I tried to get another swap started but it fizzled out completely. Here were the rules:

Last year in December KellenCoin set up a Secret Santa Gift Exchange. Many of us joined in and gifts were mailed out in time for the holiday! I thought it might be fun to do it again, after all, it's **Christmas in July!! ** Quoting the rules set up by Kellen, with new dates of course:

"Leave a comment down below if you are interested in taking part.

I will PM you and ask you for your PO Box/Address.

I will send you the PO Box/Address of another random recipient - NEITHER of you will know who the other is or what their username is, you will only have access to the mailing address.

To your assigned address, send something related to coins/tokens/medals/paper money with a value UNDER $20, not including shipping (Please don't just sent a G-4 1958 wheat cent, this is an opportunity to be giving).

In the end, every participant will receive something and give something.

This Secret Santa will close on July 1'st - please send your packages in time for them to arrive by July 15'th.

For fairness' sake, I will not be participating - only facilitating the exchange. I will be the only one with access to both usernames and addresses - I will not share any of the info. I thought this might be a fun opportunity to be generous and get into the holiday spirit! If you have any questions or want to participate, leave a comment below!"

If there is an odd number of entries, I will participate and send out a gift so there will be no odd man out situation. I would also like to lift the value ceiling to a gift with a value UNDER $30.00

I did the secret Santa a couple years ago. It was fun. I am in