Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unwritten Rules and Guidelines of the CU Forums

CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

We should all be familiar with, and abide by, the written PCGS Forum Rules and Guidelines:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021#latest

However, what are some of the "Unwritten Rules and Guidelines" that pertain to these forums?

Or, what is considered proper, or improper etiquette, on the Forums?

Please list your examples.

I will start: Only one bump a day on the BST. :)

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    We should all be familiar with, and abide by, the written PCGS Forum Rules and Guidelines:

I will start: Only one bump a day on the BST. :)

Only one_ post_ per day on the BST

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Don't hi-jack someone else's thread by bringing up another subject. Just start a new thread.

Especially another subject containing ***.

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    For the love of god, don't post your (or other peoples, for that matter) cherrypicks until they're in hand.

I do not post about any of mine until I have a tracking number and can confirm the USPS is in possession. I try not to post about ones I missed until at least a week after the auction closes, and if it was a monster I will sometimes lurk and look for the buyer's feedback before I share it.

I would also add not to post potential cherrypicks that are still live, I know some folks here have been waiting to snipe auctions that were outed on the Forum before they even had a chance to bid.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

No *** for you! :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please proofread your posts before posting so we don't have to spend time trying to figure out what you're trying to say. This suggestion only applies to a few of you.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the don’t comment on other peoples BST posts unless it’s regarding the purchase of item. I’ve seen several people posting in BST threads (not mine) questioning the sellers price as too high etc. pretty rude IMO

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

No misspellings in thread titles.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Avoid responding to old posts.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@1630Boston said:

@cladking said:
    Avoid responding to old posts.

Sometimes old post need to be revisited though :)

Old threads are OK. Not so much old posts.

Sometimes we miss posts so it certainly happens and some don't check in every day or even every month but, as a (unwritten) rule, it is best to avoid responding to old posts.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that you can correct someone without insulting them.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@relicsncoins said:
    If you post a guess the grade thread, don't wait a week to post the actual grade. 48 hours seems appropriate.

But don't post the grade too quickly, either. In other words, think Goldilocks - make the timing "just right". ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you disagree with someone give the reason, for Pete's sake!

Pete (not related to the above Pete).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 3:06PM

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread that I got a kick out of👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps we can reduce the amount of "Dog piling" in certain types of threads... hitting the agree button in some instances should be enough unless there are multiple issues that need to be explored/addressed.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Words like "fully original luster" will guarantee a minimum of 100 post :).

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@relicsncoins said:
    If you post a guess the grade thread, don't wait a week to post the actual grade. 48 hours seems appropriate.

But don't post the grade too quickly, either. In other words, think Goldilocks - make the timing "just right". ;)

I've been guilty of that on occasion.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:

@DelawareDoons said:
    For the love of god, don't post your (or other peoples, for that matter) cherrypicks until they're in hand.

I do not post about any of mine until I have a tracking number and can confirm the USPS is in possession. I try not to post about ones I missed until at least a week after the auction closes, and if it was a monster I will sometimes lurk and look for the buyer's feedback before I share it.

I would also add not to post potential cherrypicks that are still live, I know some folks here have been waiting to snipe auctions that were outed on the Forum before they even had a chance to bid.

Sean Reynolds

Be careful,,,,,,the seller could still recall the package before it is delivered to you for $12.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't post a "I know I have something really rare here. Can someone tell me what it is?" kind of post.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attempt a search of the subject before I ask a question... some subject questions have been discussed to the point where there is simply not much else to be kicked around. Completing that search will likely lead to a more meaningful and refined set of questions and discussion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 3:05PM

If you sell a coin to a forum member on the BST, actually send him the coin once it's been paid for. Unfortunately, it doesn't always happen.
    Also, if you buy a coin on the BST, do your due diligence. If the seller is not a well established member here, require the seller to send the coin prior to payment. If he refuses, pass on the deal.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

One or two clear, cropped pictures is all that is needed.
    Seems like new members love to post 10-15 huge, uncropped, out of focus pictures as if more is better.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't reply to your own replies

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2021 4:40PM

@moursund said:
    Don't reply to your own replies

...unless you have a good reason. Which arguably this isn't. :grin:

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file