Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2022 US Mint calendar is live!

https://catalog.usmint.gov/product-schedule/2022

There are...more Peace and Morgan dollars. I thought this was a one off event in 2021 for the one hundred year anniversary. Honestly a little disappointed since I think this will devalue the 2021's that provided much anguish to get.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

The calendar only shows proof morgan and peace, not mint state coins.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

And new quarters! Another whole series!!! And more Innobucks, and a RP Palladium!! The Liberty horse medal, another presidential medal, some baseball commemoratives, first full year of the new Eagles...So much new variety along with the resurrection of the classic Morgan & Peace again...it's gonna be a busy year for the modern collector.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2021 5:41PM

It sure will be exciting to see baseball on a commemorative coin… Again 🧐

Also, are they going to do all 27 amendments for the new platinum coin series? Because I will be dead halfway through that series.

Edit. Thankfully, it’s only the first five amendments

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

I am at least a little bit relieved they aren’t continuing to do two different reverses for the Eagles

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 6:53AM

@kiyote said:
    I am at least a little bit relieved they aren’t continuing to do two different reverses for the Eagles

Don’t worry plenty of time. Look at the crazy releases on January 6. 15+ items. They are updating the schedule and there’s always 2023🙃
    Just noticed you said reverse not finish. My mistake. I believe the type 1 is put to rest and agree. 🤨🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote... Where did you get the information it would only be the first five amendments? I looked on the Mint site and could not find information on the series. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @kiyote... Where did you get the information it would only be the first five amendments? I looked on the Mint site and could not find information on the series. Cheers, RickO

Not sure if this is where kiyote got his information, but the Mint site says this about the Pt Proof program through 2025 ...

"The First Amendment to the United States Constitution Platinum Proof Coin Program will reflect the five freedoms enumerated in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution—that is: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”"
    Source

• Options

@MetroD.... Thank you, I was looking for information on the entire series... If indeed it is a series on the Bill of Rights. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Will the American Liberty 1 Ounce Silver Proof Medal have the horse throwing off the saddle on the front, and the big eagle head on the back?

• Options

@Mindy9773 said:
    Will the American Liberty 1 Ounce Silver Proof Medal have the horse throwing off the saddle on the front, and the big eagle head on the back?

That’s the rumor and I am down with owning one😉

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @MetroD.... Thank you, I was looking for information on the entire series... If indeed it is a series on the Bill of Rights. Cheers, RickO

My mistake.

I could not locate any information on the next Pt Proof series, which starts in 2026. Perhaps someone more knowledgable than me will post. :)

IMHO, it is unlikely to be a continuation of the first ten amendments to the Constitution (i.e., the 'Bill of Rights'). The second amendment would likely be considered too controversial.

Note - I am not, repeat NOT, attempting to start a discussion about the second amendment. Merely pointing out that it would be 'next in line'.

• Options

@ricko said:

I found the information by reading about the 2021 coin.

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/american-eagle/2021-platinum-proof-freedom-of-religion

• Options

@kiyote.... Thank you for the link.... and that says "...will reflect the five freedoms in the First Amendment " . So they will not, according to that, be doing further amendments. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @kiyote.... Thank you for the link.... and that says "...will reflect the five freedoms in the First Amendment " . So they will not, according to that, be doing further amendments. Cheers, RickO

That’s a good thing, because most of them are pretty dry topics!

• Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@DividedSky311 said:

There are...more Peace and Morgan dollars. I thought this was a one off event in 2021 for the one hundred year anniversary. Honestly a little disappointed since I think this will devalue the 2021's that provided much anguish to get.

I don't think the 2022 proof Morgan and Peace dollars will hurt the value of the 2021 Morgan/Peace dollars...they are already selling at a discount. If anything it will increase their value.
    A one year coin is a one-off, a second year coin is a series.
    Not to mention, I believe silver will be well over $30 (being conservative) an ounce by the time these coins come out.
    I believe silver will on a rocket ride soon!

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Golden1 said:

@DividedSky311 said:

I don't think the 2022 proof Morgan and Peace dollars will hurt the value of the 2021 Morgan/Peace dollars...they are already selling at a discount. If anything it will increase their value.
    Not to mention, I believe silver will be well over $30 (being conservative) an ounce by the time these coins come out.

Sounds like the same song & dance act that's been going around since 2012. What makes you think that this time will be any different? Silver is not an inflation hedge and never has been. Silver needs to stay above $25 for a while and the market makers (speculators) will need to jump back in, just like they did in 2009-2011. Keep on dreaming, but don't mortgage your house buying silver.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2021 4:41PM

moved to precious metals

• Options
    edited November 13, 2021 12:52PM

"I respect your opinion, but when have you ever seen an inflationary period like what we have now?
    Do you think everything is going well in our country? When have you seen currency printing at this scale, with the Fed purchasing securities at a massive scale, to prop up the stock and bond market?"

I guess you weren't around during the 70's or 80's when inflation ran into the double digits and the Fed raised the prime rate to over 10%. Now that was inflation. Todays blip is nothing compared to what we went through during those times. BTW, all commodities are trying to recover from their most recent corrections from 1 year highs. Don't believe those silver barons -- they are also repeating a worn out message that has been broadcasted for over 10 years....i/e supply is short etc etc.

edited to correct gramar.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2021 4:40PM

Moved to precious metals

• Options
    edited November 14, 2021 4:40PM

moved to precious metals

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

the 2022 mint calendar deals with inflation?

inflation is more for the precious metals forum.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 4:50PM

I remember back in October 1981, due to the economic policies of the prior five years, inflation was rampant, and 30 year Treasuries issued at that time allowed investors to lock in rates as high as 15.3% for the following 30 years. Regardless, most people said “Why buy a long term Treasury and get “only” 15% interest, when money markets are paying 18%, are fully liquid, and rates are going to go higher!” Second guessing is easy, but the smart move would have been to lock in 15% through 2011.

Regarding @Golden1 ’s comment about inflation back then - I’m glad it wasn’t a problem for you, and you did VERY well. However, inflation is the most pernicious tax of all, as it affects low and middle income people the most (btw, I’m a staunch Republican). Most people’s wages in those times increased nowhere near the rate of inflation!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@Golden1 said:

Sounds like the same song & dance act that's been going around since 2012. What makes you think that this time will be any different? Silver is not an inflation hedge and never has been. Silver needs to stay above $25 for a while and the market makers (speculators) will need to jump back in, just like they did in 2009-2011. Keep on dreaming, but don't mortgage your house buying silver.

Not sure why you think silver is not an inflation hedge? I jumped into silver/gold on May 10th, 2004 @ $4.51 an ounce, gold at $375 an ounce. That's 500 and 600 percent appreciation. Other then the stock market and California homes, what has gone up that percentage? Seems to me to be a great inflation hedge. Gold has done it's job, but the best is yet to come in silver!

Timing and luck will normally get you a profit. But had you purchased either gold or silver in 2011 or 2012, you'd be down a similar amount.

• Options
    edited November 14, 2021 4:42PM

moved to precious metals

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭

@Golden1 said:

@winesteven said:
    I remember back in October 1981, due to the economic policies of the prior five years, inflation was rampant, and 30 year Treasuries issued at that time allowed investors to lock in rates as high as 15.3% for the following 30 years. Regardless, most people said “Why buy a long term Treasury and get “only” 15% interest, when money markets are paying 18%, are fully liquid, and rates are going to go higher!” Second guessing is easy, but the smart move would have been to lock in 15% through 2011.

Regarding @Golden1 ’s comment about inflation back then - I’m glad it wasn’t a problem for you, and you did VERY well. However, inflation is the most pernicious tax of all, as it affects low and middle income people the most (btw, I’m a staunch Republican). Most people’s wages in those times increased nowhere near the rate of inflation!

Steve

I see the inflation we are experiencing today as hurting low and middle income people more then it did back then.
    The cost of everything you need to live is skyrocketing and going higher. Now that we are no longer energy independent, I see oil to continue to rise until it chokes off the economy. Jobs and corporations are leaving our country again which will hurt low/middle income even more. Wait until oil is at $200 a barrel and see how it affects our cost of living.
    Printing more money will not help this time around. The dollar is being destroyed and the world is looking at dumping dollars. Where can you run, to keep your purchasing power?

To bring it back to the hobby, I think that this will hurt the hobby long term except at the very high end of the market. I also don’t think a millennial or Gen Z person version of @saintguru would be able to have enough money to assemble the high quality Saint collection that he assembled. Assembling a nice Saint syrup will likely be limited to those wealthier than Jay Brahin. As I said in another thread, this provides an opening for the US Mint to provide high quality versions of classic gold coin designs that are relatively more affordable. The US Mint has the statutory authority and precedent to do it.

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

@Golden1 said:

@OPA said:

@Golden1 said:

@DividedSky311 said:

I respect your opinion, but when have you ever seen an inflationary period like what we have now?
    Do you think everything is going well in our country? When have you seen currency printing at this scale, with the Fed purchasing securities at a massive scale, to prop up the stock and bond market?

Oil price will continue to climb until the Fed decides to collapse our economy with interest rates. OPEC owns us now, we are at their mercy. What will it cost to get silver out of the ground with $200 oil?

When in history did silver get used up at this rate? Electronics, solar, electric vehicles, etc.

Almost all commodities are at record prices, except for silver! Homes, cars, food, energy, at record prices!
    The world is awash in cash looking for a home. There is too much cash chasing too few goods.
    Where will the big guys on Wall Street go when the market tanks...real estate that's at record prices, negative yield bonds, dollars that are losing value daily?

We are in unprecedented times! I'd take a small mortgage on the house to buy silver right now. If you look back at my recent posts where I stated my opinion that silver was ridiculously cheep @$21.50, that I thought it was a good buy.
    A kilo of silver from a few weeks ago, is up $110 as of yesterday...about 14%

https://marketsanity.com/silver-supply-deficit-inevitable-dave-kranzler-andrew-maguire/

I believe your views on oil and energy dependence are incorrect. There is plenty of oil, and prices will never get anywhere near $200.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 6:38PM

@DividedSky311 said:

There are...more Peace and Morgan dollars. I thought this was a one off event in 2021 for the one hundred year anniversary...

At first glance it makes no sense to commemorate the 100th anniversary AGAIN in 2022.

But then I carefully read the first paragraph of H.R.6192 - 1921 Silver Dollar Coin Anniversary Act:

"...to honor the 100th anniversary of completion of coinage of the 'Morgan Dollar' and the 100th anniversary of commencement of coinage of the `Peace Dollar', and for other purposes."

I suppose one could argue that producing Proof Morgan & Peace dollars in 2022 falls under the category of "other purposes" (i.e., numismatic purposes).

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

moved to precious metals

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

We get about 11% of our oil from OPEC, so I'm not sure how they "own" us. And energy isn't at record prices, either (oil was more expensive a decade ago). Silver and gold are down from 6 months ago. I'm not saying that we don't have inflation, but I don't think it's a "sky is falling" scenario, either.

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options

moved to precious metals

• Options

Golden 1. I really pity you. I would not like living in your world of fear and negativity. So glad my world is very different from yours. I do absolutely respect your right to your feelings and I know you respect mine. 🙃

• Options
    edited November 14, 2021 4:39PM

moved to precious metals

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Oil production, drilling, fracking, natural gas and possibly another pipeline in the US, is being systematically shut down to make way for windmills and solar. We are becoming more dependent every day on foreign enemy oil.
    EV's, solar and building a new electric grid is going to need a lot of silver.

Average wages have not kept up with inflation for the past several decades. Maybe oil was higher decades ago, but average wages were more in line with those times and inflation.

Due to our completely open borders, we could see 50 million new non-working welfare recipients in our country in the next 3 years...who's going to pay for them? A. Your tax dollars! Taxes along with inflation is going to eat up the incomes of many people in the middle and lower class. Not to mention wages in many blue collar industries that will be falling.
    How can you hedge against this with your money? Throw in a possible dollar crisis and the world dumping our currency and what do you get?

How many things can you own, keep in your possession out of prying eyes. Things that retain their value, can be traded/bartered, or carried in your pocket? PM's and bullets are two that come to mind. You could add numismatic coins to that mix.

Got Silver?

PS. The sky is not falling, but there sure are a lot of storm clouds forming.

Yet the US Dollar is appreciating. I’d be interested to see how much silver you think you can keep in your pocket?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please get back to the thread topic. There is a very active forum all about precious metals and plenty of opinions on inflation, how wonderful silver will be, gutter metal, etc.

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:
    The calendar only shows proof morgan and peace, not mint state coins.

The proof Morgan and Peace will probably look amazing. I can't wait for the chaos at noon EST on order day... :D

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this thread seemed to get hi-jacked off onto a long and winding road. I had to scroll back and see what the thread was addressing, oh yeah, the new 2022 Mint Calendar. I seem to remember new coins were always put up for sale on Thursdays, but lately the sales have been released all over the week. That holds true for this new sales calendar too, no telling what day will be set up for a release.

• Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

No Birth Set this year...?

• Options

@GhosOfRudy said:
    No Birth Set this year...?

Not yet as another poster pointed out “give em time “😉

• Options

Here’s the first proof of colorized Purple Heart $1 I have found. Interesting they are doing it again. I look forward to seeing pictures.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2021 10:03AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Here’s the first proof of colorized Purple Heart $1 I have found. Interesting they are doing it again. I look forward to seeing pictures.

I'm guessing there'll be minimal purple coloring, that's all.

Anyway, I hope it's done tastefully -- not in-your-face garish colorization.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    edited November 16, 2021 10:43AM

They don’t seem to have a half dollar option. I get beat up when I say that I like the basketball coins. That’s ok. I really hope they are tasteful ,too I must admit I can’t complain about the price I’m paying for the basketball coins. Slabbed and raw. Very reasonable. For a guy like me it’s an opportunity to have very nice examples very cheap 🙃
    It’s not lost on me that the basketball coins are a first and I’m glad to see another attempt as it provides credibility but not sure what kind 😂

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file