Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ron Pope (koynekwest) passed away November 9th, 2021

I am really sorry to have to confirm that Ron Pope passed away. The news came from his Wife, and she wanted me to notify all of you.

What a surprise!

I've known Ron for over 20 years and can testify to the fact that he was a helpful, knowledgeable and an expert on Buffalo Nickels, including co-authoring a book.

I myself am deeply saddened by this. Cancer and the Chemo Therapy for it was the cause.

He never complained about it.

Good bye my close friend. I for one will miss you deeply.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Comments

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences to his family and friends.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

So Sorry to hear this, I always looked forward to his advice on Buffalo Nickels, You will be missed, Rest In Peace. My condolences to his Family and Friends.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad :'(

Best wishes to family & friends.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to the family. RIP.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

very sad news

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭

Deepest sympathies.....

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

Rip. My sympathies to the family. G

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm very sorry to hear this. Ron was a guiding light for me as I collected Buffalo nickels and Buffalo varieties over the years. Always friendly and helpful when I reached out for advice. Was proud to have furnished occasional photos for his books, most of which I own. Deepest condolences to his family and to his many friends here.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • bigolebigole Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

Very sad to hear that, prayers to his wife and family. He was one of the best on here........

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news.

Thx for letting us know.

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear this. Prayers to his friends and family.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear of this. My condolences to his friends and family.

• Condolences to all, he will be greatly missed!

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only knew him here! Very sad! My condolences to his family and friends!

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ron was such a nice guy to deal with. I bought about 30 Buffalo nickels from him and also one of his Buffalo nickel books.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice guy, and I enjoyed knowing him here...He will be missed very much.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is terrible news, but thank you for posting it. Sincere condolences to his family and friends. RIP, Ron.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear. :'(

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP! I was shocked to hear of his passing as I just recently received two Buffalo Nickel books from him and was telling him how well all of the information was presented -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Very sad news indeed. He lives just 20 minutes from where I do and we had pm'd a bit about local shows. My deepest sympathies to his family.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very, very sad news.... My heavy heart condolences to his family.
    I did so much enjoy interacting with him. may he RIP

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. So sorry to hear that. He was such a nice guy.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear, never met but will miss his participation.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate to hear of this. Prayers for the family.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sad news. Ron was a great numismatist and I'm glad to have had the chance to interact with him through the Forum. When you find your next doubled die, think of Ron - he discovered a good number of them.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP Sir. Prayers for his family

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest in peace Ron, may you find key dates in every roll.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 2:11PM

All I can say is he was one of the nicest, most helpful coin experts I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. We traded emails from time to time and he was always willing to answer any questions I had. At one point, he sent me a PDF of all the additions to his abraded die book so I wouldn't have to buy a new copy. This is sad news and his passing leaves a big hole here and in the hobby, not just with Buffalo nickels but all kinds of varieties as well.

RIP, Ron.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m so sorry to hear that and send my condolences to his loved ones and friends.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sad to hear this. Thank you for sharing this news.
    As others have said, Ron was a tremendous asset to this forum and a huge contributor to the greater overall body of knowledge relating to the Buffalo nickel series as a whole. His study and generous sharing of his knowledge was outstanding. He was generous in helping me with my understanding of this series, with its nuances and many varieties and his books are valuable references that I often refer to.
    My deepest sympathies to his family, loved ones, and to all of us here on this forum- where he will indeed be missed.
    RIP Ron. 🙁

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry. :'(
    His coins were second to none.
    Prayers to the family. :'(

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry to hear... my heartfelt condolences to family and friends...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP and condolences to his family. I only knew him through his posts on this forum. He was a wealth of knowledge and will be greatly missed.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's sad news.....
    Sincere condolences to his family.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 3:01PM

This is a shock, as I had no idea he was ill. He was a great contributor to the forum, and certainly will be missed. Condolences to his family and friends. :'(

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m very sorry to hear this. My condolences to his family. He was a valued contributor here and will definitely be missed.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2021 3:21PM

@koynekwest said:
    This is his son again. To Pete, thank you for posting this. I want to answer a few questions asked in the other thread. I was the reason he appeared to be logged in last night. I had found a PM in his email asking about him and I replied to it. I was going to post this afternoon when I got home, but it was already posted (better than I could have summed it up). The Kanye Twitty picture was appreciated, I got a needed laugh out of it, so no worries about it not being appropriate. It means a lot to us that he had such an impact on so many people in the coin community. Thank you all for your kind words. I don't know if he was on other forums, but please inform anybody else that knew him about this.

Thanks. This whole thing is hard to believe, and even harder to accept.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice guy. During the mild kerfuffle about the 1914/3 nickels a few years back he was kind enough to send me his book on Buffalo nickels, which has a lot to say on the subject.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1tommy1tommy Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to his family and friends. I know during our conversations his love for the Washington Quarter Varieties and he told me of the ones he had discovered and I was surprised at the list. I could tell his love for the varieties was strong and he will be missed from these forums.....

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, condolences to family and friends. Thanks for letting us know.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file