Home Precious Metals

Poll: $50 silver when?

2»

Comments

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not modify the poll to: When will silver reach $25 once again and again and again?

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

sure. and again. and again!

I like when it does!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will silver price react when we hit double digit inflation? :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall +/- 40 years ago that silver would just go back n forth around $5.
    Maybe the new normal is $25. With energy costs spiking, all of the metals dependent on cheap energy are going to climb.

Have a nice day
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

indicated "not in my life time." 7 years later, I most definitely think so.

I think that you will be taken by surprise. :)

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will say we will have $50.00 silver in 2022. :)

@jmski52 said:
    indicated "not in my life time." 7 years later, I most definitely think so.

I think that you will be taken by surprise. :)

Agree, that would be a surprise. Similar to us being visited by Space Aliens. Not sure which will occur first. ;)

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    8-10

According to my calculations thats when inflation becomes a problem

@cohodk said:
    Rather than identifying 2009-2011 as a recessionary period, it could also be called one of lacking confidence in both the dollar and the government. Silver did great in that period

Agreed. What we saw from 2002-2011 was a repricing of gold and silver. For 20 years they both languished and in 2000 were grossly undervalued. They played catch-up, overshot (as almost always happens) and are now repriced accordingly.

In order for another big run, PMs need to become grossly undervalued again, (to set the stage), or we need something to lift all assets. A perfect storm would be a 10 year consolidation near these levels then a huge pickup in economic activity after 2020 ushering in inflation. This is my favored scenario as I have some "ideas" on how this will play out.

Dayum, Cohodk!!

• DscoinDscoin Posts: 339 ✭✭✭✭

This is such a difficult prediction. With the amount of resistance we saw at $30 the last 16 months I don’t know what it is going to take for it to go past that number, if it does $50 will be obtainable within a year.

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

edited October 24, 2021 12:57PM

@Dscoin said:
    This is such a difficult prediction. With the amount of resistance we saw at $30 the last 16 months I don’t know what it is going to take for it to go past that number, if it does $50 will be obtainable within a year.

Did you mean $25? The last time silver hit $30 was in early 2013....

https://silverprice.org/silver-price-charts/10-year-silver-price-history-in-us-dollars-per-ounce

edited November 10, 2021 10:49AM

Can we stop holding our breath? Once again, for the gazillions time, silver broke above $25.. B)

But only for a moment

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2021 2:29PM

Who honestly knows what’s going to happen with the price of silver. I used to think when the economy sinks, like it’s doing now, that silver and gold would would rise. I don’t think that way anymore. The last time the economy went in the toilet so did the price of silver and gold. They say it’s a hedge against inflation. Maybe so but that hasn’t happened in my lifetime and I’m old as dirt. All told, I am still buying and hoarding silver because I’m in it for the long run. At my age the long run may not be very long. I can tell you this, I’ve never ever lost money on silver as long as you think long term.
    Happy hoarding, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I used to think when the economy sinks, like it’s doing now,

Why do you think the economy stinks?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

edited November 10, 2021 3:20PM

@cohodk said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Because I watch the news. I said “sinks.” Not stinks.
    How much are you paying at the pump?

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    edited November 10, 2021 3:29PM

@crazyhounddog said:

@cohodk said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Because I watch the news.

Well that makes sense. Lol

Seriously though, what do you see, or has the news told you, that says the economy stinks?

I see croweded highways and airports, and restraurants. The Amazon and UPS trucks are at every stoplight. Same for dumptrucks and heavy equipment. Concert and sporting events are packed with people. The ports are plugged up with junk we have bought from China.

There is more money sitting in CDs, savings and checking, and money market accounts the ever before. Consumer debt levels are lower than in 2006-2008.

Maybe its time to turn off the doom and gloom channel.

https://www.reuters.com/business/us-job-openings-rise-record-109-million-july-2021-09-08/

It’s called inflation . That’s reality and that’s what I’m talking about. It’s just getting started and I see nothing on the horizon that’s going to stop it.
    I’m not going to get political here so I’ll end my defense.
    Happy hunting 😃

There is a lot of accumulated wealth.

This has nothing to do with the actual dynamics of this economy. Wages are not keeping up with prices. 100 million people are out of the work force and surviving by savings or other means. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop when and if it does, things will not be pretty.

Have a nice day

@streeter said:

This has nothing to do with the actual dynamics of this economy. Wages are not keeping up with prices. 100 million people are out of the work force and surviving by savings or other means. I'm waiting for the shoe to drop when and if it does, things will not be pretty.

Perhaps some of those 100 million unemployed should be seeking employment with Amazon, just about all of the food industry is desperately looking for help at a minimum of $15 per hour, Walmart, Best Buy, Target are paying hiring bonuses. Your quote of 100 million, approx 1/3 of the US population, does not compute.

Just took the number from BLS. Sorry it disagrees with whatever your est was.

'The Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics announced on Friday that 100,450,000 people in this country were not in the labor force in October, up 38,000 from the 100,412,000 in September.

This is the 14th straight month that this "not in the labor force" number has remained above 100,000,000.'

Have a nice day
    edited November 10, 2021 10:13PM

@OPA said:

@streeter said:

Your quote of 100 million, approx 1/3 of the US population, does not compute.

Thats because it includes 55 million who are retired, 20 million who are in college full time and 11 million stay at home moms.

This "100 million" out of work number is frequently used by doom and gloomers. There are about 260 million folk who are over the age of 16, not in jail, or not serving in the military and therefore technically of working age and available to work. Of those, about 160 million are working. So the doom and gloomer, political agenda pushers, say there are 100 million Americans not working.

How dare those 7 million folk over the age of 85 just sit around watching Judge Judy. Go get a job grandma!!! Lol

This country has never had so many unfilled job openings. Never. Over 11 million available jobs out there.

@cohodk said:

@OPA said:

@streeter said:

Your quote of 100 million, approx 1/3 of the US population, does not compute.

Thats because it includes 55 million who are retired, 20 million who are in college full time and 11 million stay at home moms.

This "100 million" out of work number is frequently used by doom and gloomers. There are about 260 million folk who are over the age of 16, not in jail, or not serving in the military and therefore technically of working age and available to work. Of those, about 160 million are working. So the doom and gloomer, political agenda pushers, say there are 100 million Americans not working.

How dare those 7 million folk over the age of 85 just sit around watching Judge Judy. Go get a job grandma!!! Lol

This country has never had so many unfilled job openings. Never. Over 11 million available jobs out there.

It's not 100 million out of work. It's 100 million not in the work force. 320+ million population. 160 million working by your est with no substantiation. Leaves 160 million. Less 86 million by your est. Leaves 74 million unemployed.

Doesn't take ...your words... A doom and gloomer... Much to do the math.
    Are you in the workforce kelly?

Have a nice day

I don't appreciate editing posts so I'll need to make an adjustment. I stated 320 million population. My bad. It's actually 334 million so add 14 people to the OUT OF WORK FORCE total and the total is 74 million plus 14 million that totals 88 million OUT OF WORKFORCE non productive people living off whatever means of support they can scrounge up. Within the margin of error for BLS stats. I'm sure the BLS knows what they are doing so I'm going with their numbers.
    The stock market day traders....the reddit crowd...asset manipulators.... house flippers...the people who are relying on their assets to increase in value..Are doing well enough to hang in there. Until they're not. The shoe will drop. It always does. Then the tears will flow.

Have a nice day
    edited November 11, 2021 7:49AM

Yes steeeter...100 million are not in the workforce. Thats correct. That number includes 55 million who are retired, 20 million who are in college full time and 11 million moms who have decided its better to raise their kids than work at Hooters.

This leaves you with about 15 million "losers". Overall, these stats indicate a very strong economy, not one that "stinks".

How dare those 55 million retired slackers not get a job. How dare they live off their savings or social security. Lol.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Yes steeeter...100 million are not in the workforce. Thats correct. That number includes 55 million who are retired, 20 million who are in college full time and 11 million moms who have decided its better to raise their kids than work at Hooters.

This leaves you with about 15 million "losers". Overall, these stats indicate a very strong economy, not one that "stinks".

How dare those 55 million retired slackers not get a job. How dare they live off their savings or social security. Lol.

Many of those retired people are on a fixed incomes and may have to return to the workforce in order to eat and keep their homes heated this winter. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

@cohodk said:

Many of those retired people are on a fixed incomes and may have to return to the workforce in order to eat and keep their homes heated this winter. :#

So...what else is new. It's been like that for many a centuries. Not sure about your "Many," Does the not employed 100 million take into account the under age teens & tots? Or are they part of the College stats?

@OPA said:

@PerryHall said:

@cohodk said:

So...what else is new. It's been like that for many a centuries. Not sure about your "Many," Does the not employed 100 million take into account the under age teens & tots? Or are they part of the College stats?

The under 16 group is already taken out of the total population and not included in the workforce number. In other words there are about 260 million people over the age of 16, not in jail, and not in the military, that theoretically could be working. There are currently about 165 million who are working, so some folk like to say the economy stinks because there are 100 million people over the age of 16 that could be working. And yes, thats a true number, but they fail to mention, or simply do not realize the demographics that represent that 100 million number.

So you, OPA, as a retiree, are included in that 100 million not in workforce slackards. Go get a job. Lol

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I was in the $50 silver pill thread there for a second. Lol

Thanks cohodk for clarifying it. Me, taking a job? Not gonna happen. I like being retired. :)

Whoopi...silver over $25? Will it hold for at least one day?

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    Whoopi...silver over $25? Will it hold for at least one day?

Seems to be holding up for now.

Depending on what you buy, some forms of silver (ie vintage/cool) are already $50+ an ounce.
    Title should read when is generic silver going to +$50.

Congrats silver...you stayed above $25 for ONE full day.... :D

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2021 6:32AM

$50 silver within 20 years. It will last for 2 days. Then it will drop back to the dead zone of about $20 for another 20 years. Some of us are old enough to recognize the "pattern".

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    $50 silver within 20 years. It will last for 2 days. Then it will drop back to the dead zone of about $20 for another 20 years. Some of us are old enough to recognize the "pattern".

Yep that's exactly how it goes except the $20 "dead zone" is awfully generous.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

The costs of mining AU/AG and for that matter all industrial and commercial metals will keep a floor on metals IMHO.
    That said"
    2022 $30
    2023 $40
    2025 $50
    There ,I put into the universe :) GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Who honestly knows what’s going to happen with the price of silver.

These days, only the Fed & JPM know.

I used to think when the economy sinks, like it’s doing now, that silver and gold would would rise. I don’t think that way anymore.

It's not totally about the economy. It's also about confidence in the stability of the money/currency. Stay tuned.

The last time the economy went in the toilet so did the price of silver and gold.

Yes, but in 2008 the precious metals bounced right back within months while the stock market required umpteen injections of QE (still continuing through 2021) in order to recover, and even then that recovery took a few years.

They say it’s a hedge against inflation. Maybe so but that hasn’t happened in my lifetime and I’m old as dirt.

If you were living in 1979 or 2011...............maybe you don't remember.................but that "hedge" was pretty impressive if you were properly-positioned before the inflation took root. Inflation is taking root right now.

All told, I am still buying and hoarding silver because I’m in it for the long run. At my age the long run may not be very long. I can tell you this, I’ve never ever lost money on silver as long as you think long term.

Dollar cost averaging in metals has always benefited me as well - but as with most investments, you have to have the rest of your financial house in order before going long term in precious metals.

Happy hoarding, Joe

++++1 Live long, and prosper Joe. ;)

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    Who honestly knows what’s going to happen with the price of silver.

These days, only the Fed & JPM know.

I used to think when the economy sinks, like it’s doing now, that silver and gold would would rise. I don’t think that way anymore.

It's not totally about the economy. It's also about confidence in the stability of the money/currency. Stay tuned.

The last time the economy went in the toilet so did the price of silver and gold.

Yes, but in 2008 the precious metals bounced right back within months while the stock market required umpteen injections of QE (still continuing through 2021) in order to recover, and even then that recovery took a few years.

They say it’s a hedge against inflation. Maybe so but that hasn’t happened in my lifetime and I’m old as dirt.

If you were living in 1979 or 2011...............maybe you don't remember.................but that "hedge" was pretty impressive if you were properly-positioned before the inflation took root. Inflation is taking root right now.

All told, I am still buying and hoarding silver because I’m in it for the long run. At my age the long run may not be very long. I can tell you this, I’ve never ever lost money on silver as long as you think long term.

Dollar cost averaging in metals has always benefited me as well - but as with most investments, you have to have the rest of your financial house in order before going long term in precious metals.

Happy hoarding, Joe

Thank you for your opinion. Although its condescending.

edited November 17, 2021 10:32AM

I'm not the one who said "I'm old as dirt", so maybe I mistook your comment as being playful. If that's not the case, I apologize.

I knew it would happen.

@jmski52 said:
    I'm not the one who said "I'm old as dirt", so maybe I mistook your comment as being playful. If that's not the case, I apologize.

It was a way of saying I’m old. How can that make you upset? We have been friends a long time and I’d like to keep it that way.
    Apology accepted.

I wasn't upset. I was trying to tease you about being my age. Perhaps I've lost my edge when it comes to teasing. :(

I knew it would happen.

The movie was called, 'Grumpy Old Men' IIRC.
    We have met the enemy and it is us.

Have a nice day

Silver held above $25 for 3 days now. If it can remain above $25 for the rest of this week, I might get my feet wet.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2021 4:35PM

@jmski52 said:

Happy hoarding, Joe

But the gutter has been dead $$$ ever since and the market would have netted you so much more. I was trapped in the gutter briefly but personally glad I found my way out. Good luck to you sir. I hope your gutter goes to the moon. Even that Derby will be "rich" by then. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

Well, another short lived rally. Not getting my toes wet. Silver needs to retain the $25 threshold for at least a week before I bite. Caveat emptor.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

The day after I sell all of my silver.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not anytime soon, too much play in the crypto market, the old timers ran to gold and silver at time of uncertainty, millennials not so much

edited November 24, 2021 7:51AM

@jdimmick said:
    Not anytime soon, too much play in the crypto market, the old timers ran to gold and silver at time of uncertainty, millennials not so much

Crypto market, at this time, has taken a worse beating than the PM market. Cash remains KING.