Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Used Great Collections to sell a few coins my experience

I had a about 15 coins I wanted to sell. I was going to use EBay like always. But change my mind, I didn’t want to go through hassles with selling on eBay, high fees, shipping, and bad buyers. So I thought I give GCs a try, Sent them the coins, and it took about four weeks and my coins were sold and the check will be here soon. The prices I received were fair. I might have been able to get a few bucks more on eBay but only a few bucks. I don’t have the time to list, package and ship. I found GCs is best for me. Enjoyed the experience. The only thing I didn’t like were there photos. Some of the coins hade light toning. Their photos made the toning more pronounced than in hand. I will use GCs when I have more coins to sell. Thumbs Up for GCs

Comments

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report !

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve used GC twice, selling a bunch of $50-$100 widgets, primarily Franklin halves. I believe I could have made a few more dollars on eBay, but that’s a huge time suck. Time is money. I also agree that their photos could be better, but overall, I’ve been very impressed with the ease of selling there.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! I sell almost entirely on GC now and love it. I agree with your comment on the photos as well, sometime the toning just doesn't show well.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I haven't sold on GC, I have purchased quite a bit and they seem to run a smooth operation. I have found many nice coins up for auction that are now in my collection.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found the customer service at GC to be phenomenal, especially as someone with a limited budget playing in the shallow end of the pool.

• Options
    MrBlusterMrBluster Posts: 320 ✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    I have found the customer service at GC to be phenomenal, especially as someone with a limited budget playing in the shallow end of the pool.

Yes their customer service is a nice feature to have these day. Also the coins are in my price range too.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used GC in the past and the coins I listed had TrueViews, which I requested that Ian use...and he did.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    HoldTheMayoHoldTheMayo Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Idk if its the way GC photographs coins but I've never found any of the coins listed on their platform attractive.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for the info. I have purchased many coins via GC in the past and had no problems nor complaints. I thought there photo's were well above the upper percentage of ebay pics. Yes, there is room for improvement. I have never used their facility for selling.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoldTheMayo said:
    Idk if its the way GC photographs coins but I've never found any of the coins listed on their platform attractive.

GC photos are extremely accurate IMO. I’ve never bought anything and been surprised in-hand. Can’t say the same for many of the large dealers who take pains to photograph in a way that can sometimes conceal flaws.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 785 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do good work. A timely enterprise. :)

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

GC photos are extremely accurate IMO. I’ve never bought anything and been surprised in-hand. Can’t say the same for many of the large dealers who take pains to photograph in a way that can sometimes conceal flaws.

That has been my experience too. People always complain about the photos but what they tend to want is an enhanced representation while what GC provides is a fair interpretation of what you will see in hand. I've been let down more times by TrueView photos than GC photos (as the TrueView pictures failed to live up to the in hand look).

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, the great GC photo quality debate... second only to the great (starts with a C, ends with a C) debate. I still maintain that their photos are pretty accurate and better than average. YMMV.

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Posts: 527 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:
    Ah, the great GC photo quality debate... second only to the great (starts with a C, ends with a C) debate. I still maintain that their photos are pretty accurate and better than average. YMMV.

Agreed. I've bought and sold enough on GC to appreciate their customer service. They provide a much better seller and buyer experience than eBay.

Successful BST: dmwjr, ike126, bajjerfan, morganman94, sonoradesertrat, 12voltman, duiguy, gsaguy, gsa1fan, martin, coinfame, zas107, bothuwui, gerard, kccoin, jtwitten, robcool, coinscoins, mountain_goat, and a few more.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HoldTheMayo said:

How about this one?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

I also haven't had any issues with the representation of the coins I've purchased. Realizing it's impossible to full capture all aspects of a coin in a single photograph I've never been surprised by a coin I've won in a GC auction. Beyond that their service on the buying end has been excellent.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I've both bought & sold at Great Collections, and am happy with the results.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

More good reports for Great Collections.... Seems Ian runs a top notch operation. I see many such good reports here on the forum. I believe if I were to sell coins (no plans), I would certainly go this route. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading some of these glowing reports, looks like I know where I will be selling some of my coins. :)

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping times at GC, are the best I've seen. Win on Sunday, receive coin on Wednesday. Heritage, and all the other auction houses....Are you listening?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received my last Heritage winnings is 2 days! The only time I've had slow shipping was when the coins were available for lot viewing at a major show.

@Eldorado9 said:
    Shipping times at GC, are the best I've seen. Win on Sunday, receive coin on Wednesday. Heritage, and all the other auction houses....Are you listening?

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

HA's shipping sucks. They know it sucks. They don't care, they're partying like its 1999.

Stacks shipping is excellent. But GC's is better. However, both are routinely beat by eBay sellers, just saying.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    HoldTheMayoHoldTheMayo Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@HoldTheMayo said:

How about this one?

That's a nice coin. I normally peruse GC for Peace Dollars but IMO they're all average for the grades. That's a nice Franklin though.

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I was checking them out the other day and no sellers fees is nice, or low. Is the owner of the coin on the hook for any shipping issues to a buyer or buyer claims of non receipt?

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dollar2007 said:
    I was checking them out the other day and no sellers fees is nice, or low. Is the owner of the coin on the hook for any shipping issues to a buyer or buyer claims of non receipt?

Seller fees are 5% if <= $1,000 and 0% over 1,000. Plus there is a listing fee of 1, 3, 5, or 10 depending on the listing price. GC handles all shipping to buyers, so the seller only needs to worry about the shipping to GC and they take it from there.

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

@scotty4449 said:

@Dollar2007 said:

Seller fees are 5% if <= $1,000 and 0% over 1,000. Plus there is a listing fee of 1, 3, 5, or 10 depending on the listing price. GC handles all shipping to buyers, so the seller only needs to worry about the shipping to GC and they take it from there.

Cool. Thanks!

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been happy, having used GC several times. Easy to use. Fairness. I will continue to use them.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

HA's shipping sucks. They know it sucks.

Huh? I won a lot last Thursday night. It was delivered to my door yesterday. What sucks about that?

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used them before and currently have another 60plus there waiting to be listed. Thumbs up all the way

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2ndCharter said:
    HA's shipping sucks. They know it sucks.

Huh? I won a lot last Thursday night. It was delivered to my door yesterday. What sucks about that?

It varies.

• Options
    earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold some platinum moderns and the experience was great and the prices realized were strong.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for this thread. After reading so many positive comments I am going to try them!😎

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great outfit.
    I too have had positive results as both buyer and seller.
    B.C. (Before Covid) lots I won would arrive on Wednesday. Not anymore, but this isn't a reflection on Great Collections.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC is the Teletrade of the 2020s.

peacockcoins

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their photography is the sole reason I'm not a participator. And being picky with coins I want doesn't help. I have a simple camera, stand which is two boards in a L-shape and ceiling light. If I can take somewhat decent photos of my coins in my living room, why can't a multi million dollar company do the same? There is a reason, most collectors don't know quality so why bother? What a "collector coin" looks like. And with my photos, they can be right clicked on to open them up in a new tab to gigantisize them for enormous viewing.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used them a couple of years ago. The attention and service they gave me was
    outstanding. I thought the photography was on par and accurate. The 4 coins that
    didn't sell were returned in less than 7 days. The check/invoice came 5 business
    days early. They will get my business the next time I'm selling.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Experience with them has not been as quick. At least a month and change to list and then at least a month to six weeks to get paid after the two week auction ends

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve had a check on my desk from GC longer than it took them to send it to me.

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    Their photography is the sole reason I'm not a participator. And being picky with coins I want doesn't help. I have a simple camera, stand which is two boards in a L-shape and ceiling light. If I can take somewhat decent photos of my coins in my living room, why can't a multi million dollar company do the same? There is a reason, most collectors don't know quality so why bother? What a "collector coin" looks like. And with my photos, they can be right clicked on to open them up in a new tab to gigantisize them for enormous viewing.

Unfortunately you're not going to know the true quality of a coin until you have the coin in hand. One photograph, even the best photograph, is not going to tell the whole story.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

My receiving of an item averages 7-10 days.
    I am on the East Coast so it has a long distance to travel.
    I do select the lowest shipping option. My last shipping charge was $6.50 on three items won.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve literally received four figure coins from Heritage before I’ve even paid! No complaints about them either.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I currently have about a dozen pieces in their auction. GC is the BEST !!!

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe GC should hire Brandon Kelly:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file