Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2021 Morgan Dollar defects?

Hello friends! Wondering if anyone out there has received their fresh 2021 Morgans with any defect or damage as of yet? I bought this one 2nd hand...and the seller swears they didn't remove from the capsule....but ive never seen the mint ship an item with a flaw like this....can't tell if it's on the face of the coin or the inside surface of the capsule...but definitely not a scratch in the capsule face.....

In addition to the cheek mess, there appears to be a nick or imperfection in the hair just to the right of it as well.

Anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

OH! That's horrible. There has been alot of complaints on the quality of the 2021 Morgans.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Milk spot

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

My 2021 Peace had a fairly sized milk spot on the cheek before I began carrying it in my pocket.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2021 7:08PM

OP, is that a D mint coin? Others have posted ones with similar scrapes on the coin.

• Options
    BDubzBDubz Posts: 64 ✭✭

Yes it's a Dmint. I cant believe they were released like that....insanity.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YoloBagels said:
    My 2021 Peace had a fairly sized milk spot on the cheek before I began carrying it in my pocket.

You may have earned the freshly designated Early to Pocket Release or First to Pocket, depending on the grading service.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 60% of mine had some kind of damage. The seller was correct - he didn’t do it, I got SEVERAL like that myself...

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2021 7:10PM

@BDubz said:
    Yes it's a Dmint. I cant believe they were released like that....insanity.

Yours makes 14 different that we’ve counted. Not coins. Coins with different types of “conditions “. All 6 of the releases guilty and problems reported on obverse and reverse. Yours is not the worst. Ms.M has friggin milk spots that don’t react to the normal treatment. Another had Blue thread that’s stamped into the coin.
    I’m really sorry. If you bought an unopened mint box you probably just “got” one. Now if they were just in OGP I guess it’s possible that someone who’s selling these hasn’t heard about the problems. I just don’t think so 🤔

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    InlanderInlander Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

I had one out of my order of 3 Morgans that had spots. 2/3 Peace Dollars had issues as well. Not happy at all.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering out loud. I wonder how the major dealers will handle the graded 70s of this full set (Morgan’s and Peace) when they spot and buyers want to return?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

Wouldn’t it take too long to develop spots such that it would be too late to return?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Wouldn’t it take too long to develop spots such that it would be too late to return?

Some credit cards allow charge backs for 180 days+ Given that some of these have spotted rather quickly, how long does it take?

• Options

It seems from posts here that if they don’t come spotted it takes some weeks to develop

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very sad commentary on quality control at the Mint. Folks are paying a significant premium for these coins so you would hope the Mint would have taken extra care in striking and handling this coins. All the fancy packaging in the world is a waste if the quality of the coin is subpar.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve received some pretty banged up coins. One order of three D mint showed up like this. This is three different coins, all from the same mint sealed box. The mint should be embarrassed.

• Options

I seem fortunate that they look to be without blemishes. Although my Morgan P look as if the eye is above eyelid

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

Scratch on my Denver

• Options
    Mindy9773Mindy9773 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    It seems from posts here that if they don’t come spotted it takes some weeks to develop

That's been true with ASEs, but these seem a little different to me. A lot of them have spots, even dark spots. They also seem filmy which is why I wondered on the other thread about planchet cleaning.

• Options

@Mindy9773 said:

I'm not sure whether that is a scratch is small strike through. I think the latter. There seems to be a real cleanliness problem in Denver.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 4:39AM

If it's slabbed as a mint error, it could be worth bucks!

• Options

@Zoins said:
    If it's slabbed as a mint error, it could be worth

Ask price is not a sales price.

Where's @ErrorsOnCoins . I have a Morgan struck through a fiber which is retained. I'll accept bitcoin payment. :)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Yes, but it's from a popular dealer with a gauge of market demand.

Where's @ErrorsOnCoins . I have a Morgan struck through a fiber which is retained. I'll accept bitcoin payment. :)

Got photos? Would love to see them!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really sorry to hear about all these issues with Mint fresh coins. I just rechecked my CC privy Morgan... and absolutely no marks or milk spots. Seems most issues are with D mint coins... strange, almost like a bunch were dropped or mishandled in some way... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭

I sent back to Mint, 2 of 3 Denver and 1 of 3 Philadelphia Morgans due to milk spots.

• Options
    GhosOfRudyGhosOfRudy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Peace, but has a mark across the L there (crappy iphone pic sorry)

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a disaster

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the Mint was trying to make the coins realistic with bag marks?

• Options

I’m glad I sat this one out.

• Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

All three peace dollars had a milk spot in the same location and one had a ding mark on the forehead. Honestly, I am unsure if I should return them or simply return them or sell them at discount to ebay price. I can handle the ding but funny enough the milk spot really bothers me

Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@F117ASR said:
    All three peace dollars had a milk spot in the same location and one had a ding mark on the forehead. Honestly, I am unsure if I should return them or simply return them or sell them at discount to ebay price. I can handle the ding but funny enough the milk spot really bothers me

Any chance of some pictures for the “file” so to speak. Sorry but there’s a bunch of us so we hear you

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! I don't think milk spots on other mint issues appeared for many months or longer, at least in my experience.

Vplite99
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2021 2:20PM

@vplite99 said:
    Wow! I don't think milk spots on other mint issues appeared for many months or longer, at least in my experience.

Makes me think these were struck a long time ago and that they knew there were issues with them, but chose to release anyway. Something like "Just get 'em out the door. I'm tired of looking at them."

• Options

how many people here are returning their entire shipment of a single mintmark morgan (ex: all Ds are bad) or peace?

I'll post pictures tomorrow. I have a D with a horrible contact mark across the face.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe all these bad one's that are showing up will be heavily discounted on ebay later. Lol

• Options

@bsshog40 said:
    Maybe all these bad one's that are showing up will be heavily discounted on ebay later. Lol

Or someone will promote some of these as a rare 2021 “Scarface” variety in reference to an expensive VAM variety for one of the classic Morgan issues.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have multiple peace dollars with the exact same die polish lines or strike throughs. No idea if those would grade 70.. as they are “as struck”.

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

@YoloBagels said:

You may have earned the freshly designated Early to Pocket Release or First to Pocket, depending on the grading service.

48 hours and already at AU58!

• Options
    edited November 3, 2021 6:03PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Ill give you melt. 😈

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Ill give you melt.

Very generous.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Zoins said:

Ill give you melt.

Very generous.

I always am. ☺️

• Options

Maybe a lot of these will end up in the melting pot like many classic Morgans did after the Pittman Act. It looks like they are making it like old time sake: poor quality control, bag marks, and perhaps a great melt.

• Options

I thought that there were some rare original Morgan’s with what was known as scar face due to die cracks on cheek of lady liberty and sold for decent money if I’m a high grade. I may be wrong, I was hoping I might get a Morgan with error but it seems that there were so many that perfect coins is where the money might be in the future or values could just tank across the range.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent some in, will see what happens. I'll let you know how they do. I didn't cull any, should be interesting.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent some in that had issues i noticed when stacking them up... Min grade of 69. Any bets on what % will come back No Grade?

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    I sent some in that had issues i noticed when stacking them up... Min grade of 69. Any bets on what % will come back No Grade?

15%

• Options
    Golden1Golden1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

Sounds like there will be a lower mintage of Peace Dollars after the mint melts the returns and less that grade 70.
    The 3 I received all look like they will grade 70

• Options

Not heard much of anything negative about the peace

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe that’s why it took 5 months so the big buyers could get them graded and get back all the rejects to returns them to the mint so they can ship them out to the little guy’s. I just see blue and red fibers in the capsules along with some kind of skin cells that makes the spots just a lot of crap in the capsules. Could of did a better job out side in a dust storm. You can see it in the Morgan’s in the Mindy9773 pic on her chin that little white dot that will get bigger if you leave it and not dip it. If it’s not to late already.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options

I got 3 CC Morgans that had a Notch at the bottom of the neck. It looks like a flaw in the die as it was in all 3 of mine and the one I sent for grading it came back 69. So i bought another but graded 70 and it was not there. So I am chalking it up to and error or flaw maybe even a VAM variety. How can I have it checked for a rarity?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file