Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Cricket - PCGS 65FH (Detached)

Comments

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @ianrussell I noticed that the cricket is the #3 highlighted item on the GC homepage.

Any way to get it to the #1 slot? :)

Are you suggesting it gets the #1 position over the 7-figure Morgan Dollar collection? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

The banner placement for the cricket is going to to jump around over the next five weeks. Not sure it's ever going to get to #1, but should be in the top 30 throughout the listing.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkerfan- I agree with everything you just said, and I estimated 10k in a previous post. But the PCGS Cricket is racking up the bids, tracking and publicity- so the sky’s the limit!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2021 11:49AM

@ianrussell said:

@Zoins said:
    @ianrussell I noticed that the cricket is the #3 highlighted item on the GC homepage.

Any way to get it to the #1 slot? :)

Are you suggesting it gets the #1 position over the 7-figure Morgan Dollar collection? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

The banner placement for the cricket is going to to jump around over the next five weeks. Not sure it's ever going to get to #1, but should be in the top 30 throughout the listing.

• Ian

I'm thinking of getting some marketing bang and customer acquisition for your site :)

For example, while the 7-figure Morgan collection is the number one slot, check out these stats:

• Cricket: 5443 page views. 99 GC members tracking
    • 1893-S Morgan: 472 page views, 47 GC members tracking

I'm not saying Cricket should be #1 the entire time but it may be good for marketing given how much interest there is.

It could get more people to create accounts to track, and then they are on the road to becoming buyers / sellers.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2021 9:27PM

Zions-

• Cricket has 5,664 views
    What else needs to be said!

• 93s $1 has 511 views
    That’s a nice, lightly toned 93S Dollar!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2021 9:36PM

@Byers said:
    Zions-

• Cricket has 5,664 views
    What else needs to be said!

• 93s $1 has 511 views
    That’s a nice, lightly toned 93S Dollar!

Those are indeed pretty striking numbers.

10x the views = 10x the popularity?

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not popularity, then curiosity.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny - A slabbed cricket - 74,000 posts, I got the secret recipe from KFC - Crickets - :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

I think it’s a combination of popularity, curiosity, amusement and fascination that a cricket got slabbed by PCGS...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would want a PCGS True View shot through the existing slab. :D
    I wonder the reaction of those opening up that submission.
    On the mailer, Handle With Care, Dead Cricket Inside.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2021 4:13AM

The cricket is over 7500 views on GC now with over 120 trackers!

I wonder how many views did the most popular GC get before auction?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a CAC sticker so I'll pass on that one. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The recent 7-figure 1893-S Dollar achieved over 20,000 page views. Since the cricket still has 30 days to go, I think it's highly likely it will exceed this.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2021 8:14AM

@ianrussell said:

@Zoins said:

The recent 7-figure 1893-S Dollar achieved over 20,000 page views. Since the cricket still has 30 days to go, I think it's highly likely it will exceed this.

• Ian

Good info! It’s exceeded last weekend’s 93-S by a good margin.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the next 30 days!

• Options
    edited October 7, 2021 7:23AM

CricketTracker Update

We are over 8,000 views with 24.5 days to go!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait for the auction to end to see what the final price is.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more times I see that thing the more it strikes me as GROSS! :o

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    The more times I see that thing the more it strikes me as GROSS! :o

It likely holds a macabre fascination with lots of folks. And there is no denying that it appears unique!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of views but no new bids in 18 days.

Yes, I am anxious to know the final hammer price, as well.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

Walkerfan- yes lots of new views but no new bids yet. I’m high bid at $3600. but that’s meaningless since there should be a flurry of activity when it’s about to end.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to send it in for re-holder and TrueView.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would likely receive and all but empty slab when it came back!

@ms70 said:
    I'd love to send it in for re-holder and TrueView.

• Options

I actually viewed it in my hands at the Long Beach show to examine the plastic slab. It’s 20 years old but surprisingly showed little to no wear or scratches. Fred Weinberg obviously cared deeply for his cricket. The purpose of examing the slab is because in my opinion it’s in it’s final holder.

• Options

@Byers said:
    Walkerfan- yes lots of new views but no new bids yet. I’m high bid at $3600. but that’s meaningless since there should be a flurry of activity when it’s about to end.

It's up to $3,700 now!

What are you going to do Mike? Decisions, decisions!

• Options

Zions- at this point I will wait until 5 seconds remaining and place my one and final bid, unless it’s already too high ( for me). It’s hard to determine what ‘too high’ is since this is the world famous PCGS Cricket from the Fred Weinberg Collection😳

• Options

As with any other auction; I am sure that the true, deciding bids will come in the final seconds.

• Options

This is an auction where it would be fun to have a live auctioneer. I'd love to hear the commentary :)

• Options

The cricket has jumped ( no pun intended) to the #3 position of the most popular lots viewed ( by bids).

The most popular viewed ( by bids) is a rare proof Ike Dollar struck on a clad Half Dollar blank. It’s rare since it’s a silver only issue in proof, but struck on a clad Half Dollar blank.

• Options

@Byers said:
    The cricket has jumped ( no pun intended) to the #3 position of the most popular lots viewed ( by bids).

The most popular viewed ( by bids) is a rare proof Ike Dollar struck on a clad Half Dollar blank. It’s rare since it’s a silver only issue in proof, but struck on a clad Half Dollar blank.

What's more unusual?

A cricket in the slabbing room?

A clad blank getting into a proof press?

• Options

Zions- the very unusual thing about this proof Ike off metal is that they were striking 1972 S.F. SILVER proof-only Ike Dollars, (none struck in proof in clad until 1973) when this CLAD Half Dollar blank was struck by Proof Ike Dollar dies.

The ones that I have sold ( in my website archive) have been the proof 1973S Clad Ike Dollars on clad Half Dollar blanks.

• Options

@Byers said:
    Zions- the very unusual thing about this proof Ike off metal is that they were striking 1972 S.F. SILVER proof-only Ike Dollars, (none struck in proof in clad until 1973) when this CLAD Half Dollar blank was struck by Proof Ike Dollar dies.

The ones that I have sold ( in my website archive) have been the proof 1973S Clad Ike Dollars on clad Half Dollar blanks.

Wow, I hadn't thought about the transition years. Having a clad blank a year before clad proofs were issued is certainly unusual and makes this a lot more interesting!

• Options
    edited October 16, 2021 8:45PM

Zions- Yes it’s very interesting and the first one that I am aware of.

It’s not a transitional mint error in the true sense of the word ( like a 1943 Copper Cent or a 1944 Steel Cent) but they did transition to clad in 1973 to strike proof Ike Dollars, making this a 1972 proof ‘Clad Ike’ (on a clad Half Dollar blank).

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is what the last minute of bidding will be like:

https://youtu.be/jeT_0pdfrtw

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Looks like a Specimen 66.

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    Looks like a Specimen 66.

Yep i'd say so. Also FH (detatched)

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Lakesammman said:
    I am SO glad it doesn't say SAMPLE on the label! :D:D

Are you trying to convince yourself it's not a sample?

You know you want it! ;)

I'm saying it's not a sample.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one here that thinks PCGS slabbing a dead cricket is a dumb idea and is not a good look for a serious grading service? PCGS should buy it and dispose of it and hope people forget they ever saw it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

That poor cricket is going to outlive Col. Sanders. Just let them go.

• Options

Cricket jumped from 3900 to 5000 in one bid increment.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Am I the only one here that thinks PCGS slabbing a dead cricket is a dumb idea and is not a good look for a serious grading service? PCGS should buy it and dispose of it and hope people forget they ever saw it.

It's not the first time the slabbing machines have been used for oddball stuff, it won't be the last.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

I love how the header reads 'from the Fred Weinberg Collection' in an effort to attempt to add more credibility to the provenance. LOLOLOL

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't get it - $5250 with 14+ days to go????????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone assayed a dead adult cricket to determine a melt value?

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    I love how the header reads 'from the Fred Weinberg Collection' in an effort to attempt to add more credibility to the provenance. LOLOLOL

Is it adding more credibility to the provenance or simply stating the provenance?

• Options

@PerryHall said:

People are people and this is part of history. I think it makes the company feel more relatable, especially with the story of the cricket interrupting the grading process. We won't have this when we moved to computer grading, but this is a good reminder of the human element in the process.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Walkerfan said:

Is it adding more credibility to the provenance or simply stating the provenance?

Whatever you wanna call it…. I still find it amusing to state the Pedigree of a dead cricket…

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can PCGS please conserve the cricket and reattach some appendages

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file