Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It’s almost my Birthday … Giveaway (WINNERS POSTED)

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 17, 2021 9:18AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It’s been a long time since I’ve done a giveaway, at least an official one. Since my birthday is upcoming, I think it’s time to do one. Giving gifts to people on or around my birthday is a long-time tradition.

This place is full of great people, has a wonderful breadth of knowledge throughout the collecting spectrum, and I really appreciate and enjoy being a part of this community.

Sometimes it’s difficult for me to receive gifts, but I recently received a very unexpected and unsolicited gift from a member on this board, and so, I think I should pay some of that forward. It was not an insignificant gift, worth into the three figures. I would out his generosity, but alas, I suspect he wouldn’t want it to be widespread. Sometimes our own personal knowledge regarding random acts is plenty satisfaction for what we did.

However, since it’s a “official” giveaway, I am going to make a thing of it. You only need to enter to win, and I have designated my daughter-in-law to pick the winner.

Since she has a somewhat sideways sense of humor, she suggested that she would pick the entry that made us laugh the most, but on the condition that I have to read them to her in a voice that I suspect most fits the post. Since I always love a good belly laugh, and she's a good nut, I agreed.

You can include a joke, a short story, a rhyme, a limerick or haiku. One per person please. Keep it clean enough for the board and fairly short (as I do have to read them out loud).

Winner will receive a hand scribbled and highlighted Wayte Raymond Nickel Board with five early nickels from the 40’s including at least two Silver issues. All are Unc or Better (definitely better).

Entries must be posted by midnight, October 15th, my time (Pacific). We will be picking a winner on the 16th sometime during, before or after dinner, with or without wine or other spirits, and I will announce the winner on October 17th at some time after I wipe the cobwebs from my brain. A video may or may not exist of the events. :D

If you are the winner, and you respond quickly, you should receive your gift on or about my birthday, which is a little later this month.

I reserve the right to pick runner-ups and provide them with a prize too. After all, there are some pretty funny people around here!

Thanks to PCGS and all of you for continuing to make this the best place on the ‘net for sharing and interacting with other numismatists of all types and levels.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my shot.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a fellow named Todd.
    Whose contest seemed a bit odd.
    To read in a voice,
    High pitched or his choice!
    If I win, I think I'll be glodd.

Happy Birthday and have fun!!!!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all.

HAPPY (early) BIRTHDAY. :)

I post this picture of Elmer Fudd periodically when I am "hunting coins".
    Here we go...
    " Be bery quiet! Today I'm hunting wabbit! No, not the wabbit that usually gets hunted by hunters alike. Today I'm hunting for the 1955 Franklin "Bugs Bunny" variety coin. Be on the rook out for this particular wabbit. He is mighty tough to find. You might hear him saying, "Eh, what's up doc?"

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Daughter-in-law, you have to pick this entry. Just do it!

Mr_Spud

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Irish accent, where "corn" is pronounced "carn":

Q: How many beans are in Irish bean soup?
    A: Two hundred and thirty-nine. If it had one more, it would be just two forty

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

First haiku of the month:

Silver gold to hold
    Learn numis thru mankind
    Yet to be revealed

Happy birthday Todd, thanks for your contributions to CU. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday! I saved this a long time ago!!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2021 8:45AM

Happy Birthday! (I don't know how old your daughter is, but regardless, I doubt I'll win!)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

It is supposed to be TOO FARTY, not just TWO FORTY. :)

• Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:

@moursund said:

It is supposed to be TOO FARTY, not just TWO FORTY. :)

>

Did you actually READ the post? Sigh... Some people...

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 12:04AM

They use a special coin for the “Coin Toss” in the Super Bowl. The coin has a bust of Teddy Roosevelt on one side, and a bust of Nathan Hale on the other side. Do you know why?

This way the player making the call is instructed to call "Ted's or Hale's".

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and thanks for the opportunity!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

Why do military men often marry lovers from the foreign countries in which they’re deployed? When they finally come home, they get to leave their in-laws thousands of miles away.

Happy Birthday and if you have any spirits, enjoy one for me or two or three.

David

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 5:22AM

My son swallowed several coins the other day.
    I've definitely seen some change in him.
    Happy Early Birthday!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2021 5:31AM

My birthday is 7 days after you so....PICK ME

• Options
    MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure thing - one for your kid.

Q. How much money does a pirate pay for corn?
    A. A buccaneer.

Jim

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Todd!

Last I checked, gold was a yellow metal. You would think a bullion dealer would know this..... At least the same guy designed the obverses so they got something right. ;)

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Here is a joke I made up:
    How do crumbs communicate?

Morsel code.

Another one I made up when I was 4:
    Why did the spider cross the ceiling?

To get to the closet.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

What is a pirates favorite letter of the alphabet?

The Sea

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no. That’s going to post multiple times. Sorry. For some reason the thread wants to post after it approves Dang it.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Alright forumites, about 30 hours left. There are some pretty good one's here. Anyone else care to give me a funny and enter?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why did the Buddhist monk poop coins?

Because change comes from within

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

It soon will be winter
    so a contest i will enter
    The prize i should have many days to enjoy
    So daugther in law do not be a kill joy

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

You ever notice that some people actually fit their name, yea like Todd!
    You ever meet anyone named TODD! Yea, they’re kinda ODD.
    I went to the local cafeteria and ran into a guy named TODD! So I asked him, I said hey TODD will you be having the COD? He said NO it tastes like SOD!
    So I said oh and I gave him the NOD.
    A little further down the line I says hey TODD! What do you think about the steak, to me it looks kinda FLAWED.
    He said NO it wasn’t properly THAWED! So again I gave him the NOD.
    We got to the cashier at the end of the line and I says Hey TODD did you bring your WAD cause I left mine in the car?
    He abruptly turned BROAD, head mostly BALD, and with his teeth GNAWED said, dear GAUD what are you some kind of FRAUD? I said my names CHRIS and I no longer need to PISS.

Happy TAUD Day!

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2021 9:22PM

Coins, medals, and medallions, made gold, silver, or cooper, sometimes using themes not only of national history, but also pop culture. I really do have a good feeling about this hobby :)

Happy upcoming birthday Todd! May the force be with you!

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options

Oh crap ... and I'm going to have to read all these out loud! :D:D:D

Love it!!

Probably need to come up with a couple extra prizes too. :)

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:
    Here is a joke I made up:
    How do crumbs communicate?

Morsel code.

Another one I made up when I was 4:
    Why did the spider cross the ceiling?

To get to the closet.

OK, here are my two originals.

The first one, and since we haven't had an elephant joke yet, here is mine

Q. Why did the elephant wear slippers in the jungle?

A. So he wouldn't get the flora dirty.

And the second,

Q. How do cells within the body communicate with each other?

A. They use cell phones.

P.S. Have a happy upcoming birthday. I'll be celebrating mine as your contest closes.

• Options

Sorry :D I strayed course went walkabout. Story of my life mate.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, there was a mime on the steps in front of New York City Hall.

He was practicing trying to get of of the 'box'.

All of a sudden a large black limo pull up in front of him.

Three gangsters jumped out with machine guns.

They started to spray the steps and hit the guy about 100 times.

The headline the next morning on The Daily News:

A Mime is a Terrible Thing to Waste.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the chance.
    Congrats to all winners! :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the winners.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @pursuitofliberty, once again thanks for the give a way.
    It was fun.
    Congratulations to the winners.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was fun! Thanks for the contest. PM sent.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a very enjoyable contest. My favorite was @CoinscratchFever with "Taud day"

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good chuckles, congrats to the winnahs! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to all of the winners 🏆
    Thanks for the chance and have a Happy Birthday @pursuitofliberty

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@Onastone said:
    That was a very enjoyable contest. My favorite was @CoinscratchFever with "Taud day"

You had to be there I guess :D

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file