Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Curious as to what you collect?

Cubsfan71Cubsfan71 Posts: 67 ✭✭

Based on the cards I have found from my childhood, I'm pulling together a collection of graded NFL HoF Rookie cards from 1977- 1984. Curious what other unique collections are out there and for those of you with larger graded collections, how do you display them??? Happy collecting.

Always looking for 1950's Graded Banks Cards

Comments

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I probably wouldn't send in any of those cards to be graded. If they are from your collection as a kid, chances are they will grade pretty poorly. I'd instead look to purchase better graded cards, or find high quality raw cards and send those in. And I'd obviously wait until there is some better price options out there.

That being said, I was working on an entire run of Milwaukee Braves graded cards. But I stalled out at 1958 (And I'm still missing the 1957 Aaron, and now I wish I got it a few years ago). I might get back into it someday, but it became more fun to chase down HOF rookies instead of trying to find another well centered Wes Covington or Frank Torre.

• Options

@totallyradd its funny, as kid in the early 80's I immediately sleeved most ... most in pretty darn good shape ... have sold off most doubles and really just slabbing/grading for preservation/display, maybe future value. Its been fun! And honestly, something very cool about a graded card and knowing its protected.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards. I collect 1975 thru 1980 Topps baseball AS cards, 76 & 77 Topps AP football, and 77 AS Basketball, I have many other odds ans ends but i love those years in particular. I am like you, it is from when i was a young boy.

• Options
    davin72davin72 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Been working on every Steelers team sets from 1950-1989. Right now I’m sitting at 525 graded. Starting to get harder and harder to find the cards I need to finish off some sets. Got in to some woodworking so I could build shelves to display them. Just couldn’t stand spending all that money just to see them sit in a box and not get to enjoy them.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv wow! thats awesome! Are those sets complete? Just curious, are you looking for graded and / or how are you displaying them?

• Options

@davin72 almost certain I can't start woodworking, but would love to see how you have those displayed... would you be willing to send me some pictures?

• Options
    edited October 4, 2021 7:32PM

@Cubsfan71 said:
    @bobbybakeriv wow! thats awesome! Are those sets complete? Just curious, are you looking for graded and / or how are you displaying them?

Very nice display @davin72! I collect both graded and raw. I really have most stored for now but do display a few. At one point, I was going hard at getting all 18 1977 Topps baseball all-stars in PSA 10. I got to 15/18 and then got out of the game for a time. I am now just enjoying collecting raw with hope that I'll be able to submit again soon. Good luck with your hunt!

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@Cubsfan71 said:

Very nice display @davin72! I collect both graded and raw. I really have most stored for now but do display a few. At one point, I was going hard at getting all 18 1977 Topps baseball all-stars in PSA 10. I got to 15/18 and then got out of the game for a time. I am now just enjoying collecting raw with hope that I'll be able to submit again soon. Good luck with your hunt!

Thank you. I started to do raw but I knew I’d finish it real quick and then get bored. This made it a real challenge and then I got caught up in the registry and it just made even more fun. Go back and finish those 1977 all stars. If you only have 3 left you can’t give up now.

• Options

Very cool @davin72! Thank you for sharing!

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2021 8:37PM

If you display cards don’t you run the risk of fading over time?

• Options

@ElvisP said:

I have LED lights all over the house including this room. Plus this room is also used for the grandkids when they come to stay so we have the window blacked out since they go to bed pretty early. Plus for the most part this room isn’t used much so it stays pretty much pitch black most of the time.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davin72 said:

@ElvisP said:

I have LED lights all over the house including this room.**** Plus this room is also used for the grandkids ****when they come to stay so we have the window blacked out since they go to bed pretty early. Plus for the most part this room isn’t used much so it stays pretty much pitch black most of the time.

This answers my question about the bedding.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

@rexvos said:

@davin72 said:

@ElvisP said:

I have LED lights all over the house including this room.**** Plus this room is also used for the grandkids ****when they come to stay so we have the window blacked out since they go to bed pretty early. Plus for the most part this room isn’t used much so it stays pretty much pitch black most of the time.

What you don't think a grown man can sleep on a unicorn pillow. hahahaha

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭

I collect 20th century non-sports cards, singles, packs, and sets. Many of my singles are graded (PSA and SGC). Most of my sets are from the 1950s since I remember those cards growing up (born in 1950). I have bought some fairly large collections and auction lots over the last 5 years and most of them still sit in the boxes they came in. Not enough time in the day to give them the attention they deserve.

I have a few hundred sports cards, mostly baseball, mostly graded ranging from T-206 cards to 1981 Topps.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davin72 said:

@rexvos said:

@davin72 said:

@ElvisP said:

@davin72 said:

@rexvos said:

@davin72 said:

@ElvisP said:

maybe a Falcons fan but not a Steelers fan

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

@Klif50 said:
    I collect 20th century non-sports cards, singles, packs, and sets. Many of my singles are graded (PSA and SGC). Most of my sets are from the 1950s since I remember those cards growing up (born in 1950). I have bought some fairly large collections and auction lots over the last 5 years and most of them still sit in the boxes they came in. Not enough time in the day to give them the attention they deserve.

I have a few hundred sports cards, mostly baseball, mostly graded ranging from T-206 cards to 1981 Topps.

@Klif50 Top 3 non-sport sets of yours?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

@rexvos Excellent!

• Options

@rexvos I really like the first pic. Like the cabinet and especially the iconic cards you have in there.

• Options

@WFFL said:
    @rexvos Excellent!

Agreed!!!!! I went to grad school at LSU. Way nice job.

• Options

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

@threeofsix My top 3 sets are The 3 Stooges, 1959 Fleer
    Look 'N See 1952 Topps
    Roy Rogers Pop-Out Cards, 1953 Post Cereal

Yours?

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards! I collect raw and graded cards, mostly vintage. Current focus on...
    Teams: Chicago Cubs and Bears
    Players: Bill Buckner, Roy Sievers, Anthony Rizzo, Kyle Hendricks, Walter Payton
    Sets: 1954 Red Heart (graded), 1976 Topps (raw)

I have some individual cards and autographed balls displayed in my very small office. Need more space for some display cases!

• Options

@Klif50 said:

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

Look 'N See 1952 Topps

Yours?

@Klif50 Very Nice Sets indeed!!! Thanks for sharing.

Current top 3: 1977 Star Wars, 2000 Pokemon Rocket 1st Edition, 2002 Yu-Gi-Oh! Magic Ruler 1st Edition

All Time Favorite Set: 1966 Topps Lost In Space (Being a classic collector...I knew you would appreciate this set!!!)

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

Look 'N See 1952 Topps

Yours?

Current top 3: 1977 Star Wars, 2000 Pokemon Rocket 1st Edition, 2002 Yu-Gi-Oh! Magic Ruler 1st Edition

All Time Favorite Set: 1966 Topps Lost In Space (Being a classic collector...I knew you would appreciate this set!!!)

Love these…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium May the force be with you!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! The blue set was an instant classic. I collected the cards, taped them together, made the poster pictures on the back and hung them in my room!!!! Great memories!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium May the force be with you!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! The blue set was an instant classic. I collected the cards, taped them together, made the poster pictures on the back and hung them in my room!!!! Great memories!

1980 Hershey’s Star Wars - Uncut Panels

These are fun, too…

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

Look 'N See 1952 Topps

Yours?

Thanks for sharing. I do love that 66 Topps Lost in Space. I was in the 10th grade in 66 and got to stay up late (doing my homework, right?) and watched it every time it came on. I like the set a lot and have a few cards from that one in one of the boxes waiting for me to "make time".

I had a friend drop by this evening and he visited in my office and said "I think your office is getting a bit crowded, have you thought about not buying something for a week or two" Naturally he didn't stay much longer.

• Options

It looks like there are more non-sports fans that it usually appears. Doing away with the non-sports forum was a big downer for me. I like sports cards buy my real passion are the non-sports cards of my youth. In the 1950's I just didn't really care that much about sports. I played kick ball and football for the Gray Y, but had no passion for the games on TV or even the school jocks.

• Options

@Klif50 said:
    It looks like there are more non-sports fans that it usually appears. Doing away with the non-sports forum was a big downer for me. I like sports cards buy my real passion are the non-sports cards of my youth. In the 1950's I just didn't really care that much about sports. I played kick ball and football for the Gray Y, but had no passion for the games on TV or even the school jocks.

I like a lot of cards. This is a crazy beautiful set. Crisp black and white stills on front and a brilliant design with minimal but effective colors.

Love it…

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i miss the non-sports forum too. i have a feeling it woulda been wildly more popular in todays setting.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun thread... great images

I like the Hogan image among several others

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    edited October 6, 2021 8:04AM

Fabulous discussion. Great images displayed. (Thanks @1951WheatiesPremium). So much non-sport growth in the last 20 years… nice to look back on the sets that started it all!!!!

As an aside - just looking at the number of company sets on the PSA registry…what’s the hierarchy of the type of sets (ie baseball, basketball, non-sports etc)? The answer might surprise you!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

There’s always something new to collect and I have always gravitated towards the scarcer, harder to find items. As an example, this set is maddening because one card may not even exist and half the set are minor league players from the late 1940’s. Oh, and they were supposed to be glued into an album…in Cuba! Still, I’ve managed to get up to 169/180ish…highlights:

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium WOW!!!! What a display (1946 set above)...and what an effort you make!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

And your Star Wars candy displays...OMG!!! (I'd be jealous just for the CANDY!!!) Nice work!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium WOW!!!! What a display (1946 set above)...and what an effort you make!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

And your Star Wars candy displays...OMG!!! (I'd be jealous just for the CANDY!!!) Nice work!

This stuff is supposed to be shared with others and it’s supposed to bring people together. Most original stuff was sold as trading cards.

Imagine that.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium yep....Imagine!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

So (finishing my thoughts on the recent growth of non-sports), the PSA set registry shows the following numbers for collector company sets:

Baseball - 27,143
    Non-Sports - 11,684
    TCG - 7,163
    Football 7,139
    Basketball - 5,450
    Hockey - 4,901

And the totals for Non-Sports + TCG = 18,847 which is what the total for non-sports was before TCG was split out!!!

I have been watching these totals for a number of years as the non-sports eclipsed each of the non-baseball sports’ totals, and then continued its creep up on the baseball total.

Anyone else surprised by that? Think it will pass baseball soon?

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

what is TCG?

• Options

@azvike said:
    what is TCG?

TCG = Trading Card Game

This is the notation for the Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Magic the Gathering type card games.

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

@threeofsix said:

@Klif50 said:

Look 'N See 1952 Topps

Yours?

Looks like a rookie grader

• Options

I collect hot new basketball cards right now. Stay away from anything pelicans

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2021 9:02PM

I collect Steve Garvey, Dave Concepcion, and Orel Hershiser.

The things I've been collecting for the longest amount of time are demo cassette tapes of Christian heavy metal bands. I started collecting around 1989 and am overwhelmed by how many small-time garage bands put out demo tapes and never did anything else. There are thousands of bands who put out one or two cassettes, either homemade or through some local studio and print shop. It continues to be a very enjoyable pursuit after all these years.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect vintage; my main PC 1971 topps baseball PSA-graded 8 or better;

I also collect 1970-71 topps Basketball!

Then there are the various cards that just have amazing eye-appeal!

• Options

That Venezuelan Orel H. is magnificent! :#

• Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

I collect a variety of different areas . From promo and oddball cards , to golf , Michael Jordan , and other sports . But my primary focus is my registry set for Jesse Owens . These are a few of my favorites .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2023 6:06PM

@redlegs said:

1976 Hostess Bicentennial Design Rocks! One of my favorite issues of the decade.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.