Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How full is your safe or deposit box?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 3, 2021 7:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edited to include deposit boxes: I now have two small safes, as well as a deposit box for my more valuable coins. How full are yours?

Edited to add: not really interested in the contents of your safes or deposit boxes, and not looking to case your joints. Just wondering whether every cubic inch tends to be occupied... Does the collection expand to fill every available nook and cranny?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Buy one that screws into the floor.

Could do that, but that reduces the water and fireproofness

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

Maybe I will stick them together with a couple of 500 lb rare Earth magnets. Then if someone tries to lift one they'll have to lift both

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't you respond "Steal Me" in the coin display thread? Thanks for showing us what to look for - :D But @jmlanzaf is correct - get them screwed to the floor or bolted in cement if you have a basement. But even that isn't a big deterrent anymore. You still hear about 800 pound safes being ripped out of people's floors or basements.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited October 2, 2021 4:07PM

Can't keep people from stealing my coins, can make it more difficult, so they go somewhere else for easier pickings. And the little bit of gold that I own, I keep in a deposit box at the bank.

• Options

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Not exactly the most brilliant post to put up on the forum.

That I show a cheap safe full of cheap coins? Huh...
    Somehow I don't feel any less secure than before I posted...

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@morgandollar1878 said:
    Not exactly the most brilliant post to put up on the forum.

That I show a cheap safe full of cheap coins? Huh...
    Somehow I don't feel any less secure than before I posted...

It doesn't have anything to do with the value, it goes well beyond that. Obviously you don't see the other reasons behind it and that is why the post was created.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

completely empty, selling stuff in the store as fast as I get it in

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:
    OP, you absolutely opened your self up to scrutiny on this one!
    I don’t anticipate a whole lot of sharing on this topic.

Meh...I don't see anything worth stealing.

Might or might not be...
    Some of you folks must be paranoid, if you think showing a safe is risky.
    I hope nobody who sees my post comes for my 1979 SBAs

LOL. Let me know if they get it. I've got 5 or 6 of them here that you can purchase.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually that last picture needs some cold beer in it then store your albums in a safe - B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a Smith and Wesson insurance policy.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two wheeled dolly solves the problem of getting them out of a house. My safe weighs 1300 pounds before I put anything in it. It is bolted to the concrete floor with 4 large lag bolts. Between coins and ammo there is another 800 pounds in it. Couple that with a monitored alarm system, it isn’t going anywhere. I have had a couple of sensors fail early on and ended up with a sheriff and Highway Patrol officer in my driveway. They show up quick! My system has its own wireless system so even cutting the phone wires won’t get you in the house without law enforcement showing up. It also has a battery backup system…..

• Options

@Smudge said:

That policy only works if you are home!

• Options

@Herb_T said:
    Two wheeled dolly solves the problem of getting them out of a house. My safe weighs 1300 pounds before I put anything in it. It is bolted to the concrete floor with 4 large lag bolts. Between coins and ammo there is another 800 pounds in it. Couple that with a monitored alarm system, it isn’t going anywhere. I have had a couple of sensors fail early on and ended up with a sheriff and Highway Patrol officer in my driveway. They show up quick! My system has its own wireless system so even cutting the phone wires won’t get you in the house without law enforcement showing up. It also has a battery backup system…..

Sounds hard core... And costs more than my entire collection, most likely. 😜

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer your question with a question...which one?

• Options

@rte592 said:

Which safe? I don't know. Here's another question: do you buy more coins to fill your safes, or do you buy more safes to hold all your coins,?

• Options

@moursund said:

@rte592 said:

Which safe? I don't know. Here's another question: do you buy more coins to fill your safes, or do you buy more safes to hold all your coins,?

Let's just say I could use another one.
    This is my last one that a locksmith ( cough cough) opened for a department store.
    The so called locksmith drilled, pryed and cut on it with a sawsall for 3 hours.
    Sure he got it open, but they could have laid it on the right side after the combo was entered and it would have opened.
    It had a broken weld on the locking bolt bar.
    I delivered a new safe and picked up the old one.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just keep your valuable stuff off site, like a safe deposit box. And just hide the safes you keep at home. I am not impressed by the idea of lag bolts. Just cast them into concrete in your basement floor with a little rebar. With a hazmat sticker on the door.

OINK

• Options

@291fifth said:

@Herb_T said:

@Smudge said:

You also better have a criminal defense lawyer on retainer. The trouble really begins when you pull the trigger even if you are in the right.

You are correct on that one!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

How full is your safe deposit box??

there, I finished the thread title for you.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T... Excellent system.... I have a very similar system. As far as having a lawyer on retainer, join the ACLDN (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network).... great group, tremendous system and provides upfront attorney fees when needed. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Just one? I have several.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@keets said:

Good idea! I updated the thread...

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@291fifth said:

@Herb_T said:

@Smudge said:

You also better have a criminal defense lawyer on retainer. The trouble really begins when you pull the trigger even if you are in the right.

And I think I would rather be robbed than kill someone.

Not me. I've lived in Indiana and Michigan, both states have decent self defense and Home defense laws. Someone breaks into my home and I'm there to defend it, their life is forfeit.

• Options

Next it will be how safe is your safety deposit box :o
    Good luck getting to it when the banksters are in effect.

• Options

@rte592 said:
    Next it will be how safe is your safety deposit box :o
    Good luck getting to it when the banksters are in effect.

You don't use one?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

There was a gentleman in the Columbus, Ohio area some years back who had a safe in his house. While he was away someone in a truck hooked a cable to his safe and ripped it out right through the wall. One of the coins was a 1893-S Morgan ms65.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MilesWaits said:
    OP, you absolutely opened your self up to scrutiny on this one!
    I don’t anticipate a whole lot of sharing on this topic.

Meh...I don't see anything worth stealing.

Might or might not be...
    Some of you folks must be paranoid, if you think showing a safe is risky.
    I hope nobody who sees my post comes for my 1979 SBAs

Quite often it is possible to discern your location if the camera that you used for the pictures has a GPS unit which hasn't been disabled. There are likely a lot of lurkers here and someone might try to dupe you into revealing your location, possibly through an offer to buy or sell.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full enough, to be specific.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re: SDB with any bank

Read all the small print on your contract!!!
    Surprise, surprise... >:)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

You also better have a criminal defense lawyer on retainer. The trouble really begins when you pull the trigger even if you are in the right

That all depends on where you live. Florida has a law described as the "Castle Doctrine" which applies not only to your home but also your vehicle. This law drastically reduced the number of home invasions and carjackings.

Florida Castle Doctrine laws extend to a person's dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle. If you are a victim of unlawful force or deadly force when you are in a dwelling, your residence, or an occupied vehicle, the law will provide you protection beyond the general rules of self-defense.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are going to be caveats to any security system, regardless of how much you spend. I've got a 400 lb. fire-lined safe that's kept in a discreet location and is bolted to the floor. But, I'm under no illusion that some enterprising burglar couldn't also locate my angle grinder and cut off wheels to get into it. Even 2000 lb safes can be broken into in this manner... the burglars would just need a little more time.

I own firearms for home defense as well, but their use is predicated on me being home to use them. I also live in a state that doesn't have a castle doctrine law, so a legal process after an encounter where I have used a firearm for self defense is a foregone conclusion... and likely an expensive one.

Be safe...

No pun intended... ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a little concerned about “fire lined”. To each their own 😂😂

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options

Some good safety tips in this thread, but I'm still curious...

Does the coin collection expand to fill all available storage space?

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2021 12:18PM

@moursund said:
    Does the coin collection expand to fill all available storage space?

Unless one is a “hoarder”- No.

I am looking to reduce the size of my accumulation as I’m putting more value on quality over quantity in this later stage of life. It’s difficult storing so much stuff too. Safe deposit boxes get very heavy and have weight limits. Several of them can get expensive, and most are not climate controlled. There are always security concerns- whatever route one chooses for storage.

If one is a stacker, or accumulating hoards, then they may never run out the need for more space.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard it said that when you buy a safe, you should carefully calculate how much room that you'll need and then buy one that's twice as large. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

@291fifth said:

@Herb_T said:

@Smudge said:

You are correct on that one!

Depends what state you live in.

• Options
    coinercoiner Posts: 431 ✭✭✭

Be sure to buy a cheaper fire proof safe and put it in an easily found location. This is your diversion. Load it with a few bricks.
    All of this while your real safe is hidden elsewhere.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coiner said:
    Be sure to buy a cheaper fire proof safe and put it in an easily found location. This is your diversion. Load it with a few bricks.
    All of this while your real safe is hidden elsewhere.

It's called a "decoy safe" and it's always a good idea if you have the room for one. A cheap used safe will work for this purpose.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file