Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Eagle eyes…If you come across this coin it was stolen from an envelope in the USPS

Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin was being mailed from Brewster, NY to Norwalk, Ohio. Removed from envelope. This coin was stolen, please advise your local police.

Comments

• Options

There should be a "sad" reaction button. :'(

Young Numismatist

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of envelope?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

How was it packaged?

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Herb. Dang it. Ok we need as much info as you can provide. Packaging, tracking just anything may help. Hang in there. We can help walk you through some of this.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    This coin was stolen, please advise your local police.

Huh??

So you want me to go to my local police department and tell them that some guy on the internet (don't know his name) says that a coin was stolen while being shipped from NY to OH? If I walk into my random local PD to file that police report I'd be surprised if they didn't take me into custody for observation.

What do you expect them to do about it?

This is a matter for the Postal Inspectors. You need to contact them.

Was it properly packaged? Tracked? Insured?

It's a good looking coin and I hate to hear that it is missing, but efforts need to be directed in the appropriate direction.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 12:34PM

Nice looking coin... looks like a solid VF/XF with natural surfaces... but I'm not sure what a local PD is going to be able to do because of jurisdictional concerns. You might have a better outcome by using the USPS Tracking services and launching a mail fraud investigation.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    I think he means to report it if anybody sees the actual coin somewhere

Well that would make more sense, but I think they'd need a copy of the police report or a direct claim from the injured party.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your loss.... It would help if you could include details as described above. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the theft.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

We won't know if it's been stolen until more details about how it was packaged and what kind of packaging material was used.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the others. 1. You should immediately contact the USPS where you mailed the envelope. 2. If you want our help we need more information.

• Options

Based on the photo on the other thread I'd find out which mailing facility processed it at the sender's end and have them look in the machinery.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I lost two slabbed ones from an eBay package last year but received the rest of the coins. Contacted USPS and they reimbursed me for the same.
    Do reach out to the post office and they will be able to guide you.
    All the best.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 27, 2021 4:44PM

I am sorry that this happened to you.

USPS - Domestic Claims

Note - "If a claim is filed because some or all of the contents are missing or damaged, the addressee must retain the mailing container, including any damaged articles, all packaging, and any contents received. Upon written request by the USPS®, the addressee must make this proof available to the local Post Office® for inspection, retention, and disposition in accordance with the claims decision. Failure to do so will result in denial of the claim."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins not stolen until you report it stolen to your police dept. You also file a claim with postal. Gather your paperwork and receipts, write up a narrative with all relevant details, give a copy to the police and postal cause they don't like to write reports. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    The coins not stolen until you report it stolen to your police dept. You also file a claim with postal. Gather your paperwork and receipts, write up a narrative with all relevant details, give a copy to the police and postal cause they don't like to write reports. Good luck. Peace Roy

That's probably some great advice to keep in mind. They do hate writing reports and who could blame them. If you type it all out for them and maybe even offer to email them the text so they can copy and paste, that might go a long way in getting a positive reaction from them.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 5:19AM

Which Police Department between these two points, Brewster, NY to Norwalk, Ohio, should the OP report it to? The police will just tell the OP to contact the USPS Authorities that investigate Lost, Missing and Stolen items. Also, we do not know if it was, in fact, 'Stolen'.
    "Each year, Americans trust the U.S. Postal Service® with billions of letters and packages, and the vast majority of those arrive safely at their intended destinations. But there are always thieves who will target the mail. Postal Inspectors investigate these crimes and arrest thousands of mail and package thieves each year. Still, there are extra steps you can take to ensure your mail arrives safely at its destination."

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 28, 2021 5:21AM

It is going to be hard to fence for any significant money as I doubt postal thieves know how to get top dollar. I would keep checking ebay; you could also contact Doug Davis of the numismatic crime center.

I called my local police, and a cop who I know said he was going to invite me out to lunch but that I already was.....

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the suggestion to watch eBay although I don't know what you would do if it shows up there. I guess you could buy it using a nuclear bid and then reverse the charges once you get in your hands. >:)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wer'e you sending or receiving this coin?

How was it packaged?

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

so many questions but not many answers

• Options
    edited September 28, 2021 10:39AM

Once again, there is an extremely good chance this was not theft, but that the coin got broken out in the mail processing machines.

Best bets are to:

1) alert the Postal Inspectors (in case of theft).

2) contact the processing center at the sending end and request an examination of the machine area (but you might not like what you find even if it does turn up).

A local police report might have value, but not sure of jurusdiction - could be sending or receiving town.

If that coin was sent loose and in an oversized padded envelope, it will likely end up being part of tuition costs.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

dang, that is a nice circ bustie. :(

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Local police and State Police have NO jurisdiction in matters concerning the USPS. The USPS is a Federal Agency.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file