Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint denies FOIA request to identify dealers

vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 19, 2021 6:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The June 9 Freedom of Information Act request filed by Coin World seeking disclosure by the U.S. Mint of the identities of the 18 dealers that comprise the controversial Authorized Bulk Purchase Program allowing the preferential purchase of select numismatic products before public release has been denied by the bureau.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/u-s-mint-denies-foia-request-to-identify-dealers

^^ Read the whole article in the above link.

Something about the shenanigans of the Mint and the secrecy surrounding it all is making it mysterious and rather baffling not in a good way).

Comments

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Treasury Department’s Office of Inspector General has under consideration plans to investigate the United States Mint’s management of commemorative coin programs, its research and development of circulating coin compositions, and its implementation and management of sales of limited-edition numismatic products.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/treasury-inspector-general-may-investigate-mint-sales

There is a lot afoot behind the scenes. The postponement of the Morgan series along with the Peace, push back of other releases, subsequent backorders etc. makes one wonder if there is some sort of manipulation or power struggles etc.
    Add to it the denial of the FOIA to name the dealers..........

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully CW will file a suit to force the answer. There’s no reason to deny the FOIA request for this and it looks bad for the mint to act this way.

But then again, over the decades how many times has the mint adamantly denied this or that and it was later uncovered they unequivocally did do it.

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the amazing amount of brilliant people on this forum if it becomes important. They can name most all them and probably not miss more than one or two.
    Legally there might be a problem so I am NOT suggesting any such list. PM’s between those who need to know maybe.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully a suit will force the desired information.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2021 3:15PM

while i would like to know who these dealers are the mint has an obligation to protect the privacy of ALL of its customers including each of us. Keep in mind these dealers are customers and not contractors to the mint. As contractors the FOIA would override their privacy.

It would be safe to assume that some of the biggest dealers are on this list.
    Who they are is not as important as the market advantage they are given.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2021 1:12PM

Those dealers are a marketing arm for Mint products.

Sensitivity to public perception is probably the reason dealers would prefer a low profile.

We all know the accusations of bot technology and preferential treatment and how rampant those accusations can be twisted to alter good standing and reputation.

No, I think the Mint would not want to open a potential can of worms. Be mindful they can be sued by the dealers for revealing inaccurate or misleading proprietary information.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who cares? We could probably figure it out. But who cares? They had to spend $500k+ in each of the previous 2 years, if I recall the conditions. You can join the club, just up your orders.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

Apparently some people do, but I'm not sure why. Suppose the dealers are identified- then what?

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

Apparently some people do, but I'm not sure why. Suppose the dealers are identified- then what?

Then we get mad about it and demand the Mint stop acting like a normal business.

I kind of hope the Mint completely stops all commemoratives and annual sets. I'm tired of the whining.

[Yes, I know that would require a change in the law.]

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

Then we get mad about it and demand the Mint stop acting like a normal business.

Can't you do that without knowing who the dealers are? ;)

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

I kind of hope the Mint completely stops all commemoratives and annual sets. I'm tired of the whining.

They could sell everything through Authorized Purchasers and let them deal with the whining.
    The Mint will move more in that direction or start auctioning coins. Which would be fine by me…

• Options

Wait a second...compete in an auction with mega dealers for the Peace Dollar? Or other wealthy buyers and dealers? Are you kidding me?

No potential whining on that scenario. :D

• Options

@fathom said:
    Wait a second...compete in an auction with mega dealers for the Peace Dollar?

Dealers can't afford to pay more than collectors are willing to unless they want to be collectors, too.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    Wait a second...compete in an auction with mega dealers for the Peace Dollar? Or other wealthy buyers and dealers? Are you kidding me?

No potential whining on that scenario. :D

Did you mean "winning" or "whinning"? :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the end ... this is all about money ... who will be allowed to make it ... and who won't.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    CopperWireCopperWire Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Follow the money and look who was in charge for the past few years. The denial means they are hiding something. This could be conspiracy.

Authorized Bulk Purchase Program = CARTEL

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2021 5:08PM

I am sorry but I thought we were NOT ALLOWED to talk about these type subjects? And in fact we are ONLY ALLOWED to talk about COINS? Right? :*

• Options

@MasonG said:

@fathom said:

Dealers can't afford to pay more than collectors are willing to unless they want to be collectors, too.

Dealers speculate that collectors will pay up every day.

• Options

@fathom said:

@MasonG said:

@fathom said:

Dealers speculate that collectors will pay up every day.

Ok. Still... dealers can't afford to pay more than collectors are willing to unless they want to be collectors, too.

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think most of this list is hard to figure out.

http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 4:36AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

It is not a normal business. It is an instrumentality of the United States government that relies at least in part on taxpayer dollars. Citizens are right to question special treatment to certain groups although it is a far too common occurrence in DC. It smells of corruption. You kind of wonder what special deals were made behind closed doors to join the elite little group that may not be public.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2021 4:35AM

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

Collectors could theoretically try to organize a boycott and drive them into submission or bankruptcy. I have my doubts such a strategy would work, but it is theoretically possible.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a secret until you buy from them.
    I can name a few. Don't need the govt to identify them.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

It is not a normal business. It is an instrumentality of the United States government that relies at least in part on taxpayer dollars. Citizens are right to question special treatment to certain groups although it is a far too common occurrence in DC. It smells of corruption. You kind of wonder what special deals were made behind closed doors to join the elite little group that may not be public.

It's not unusual for any business to give preference to large customers. This was NOT a government contract that anyone bid on, it was a perk for major buyers. How exactly do you engage in corruption to make you a major buyer? Anyone who spent more than $500,000 in each of the last year was offered the deal. There is no "special deal". Any suggestion otherwise is paranoia.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

Collectors could theoretically try to organize a boycott and drive them into submission or bankruptcy. I have my doubts such a strategy would work, but it is theoretically possible.

Why? Because they make a business of selling Mint products? Ooooo.... such bad people.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

https://www.usmint.gov/news/press-releases/united-states-mint-announces-new-authorized-bulk-purchase-program

• Options
    edited September 20, 2021 6:19AM

@blu62vette said:

Pinehurst
    Apmex

2 down...16 to go.

• Options

The ABPP buyers were able to pick up their early orders on Feb. 8, at the Mint’s contracted fulfillment center, PSFWeb, in Memphis Tennessee.

The ABPP dealers have to pay a 5 percent premium above the retail price listed for each select numismatic product, plus the cost of picking up the product early.

The dealers were also able to place orders for up to 25 single Proof 2021-W American Eagle, Reverse of 1986 1-ounce $50 gold coins and 45 four-coin sets before public sales of those products opened March 11.

Under an active embargo agreement, the ABPP buyers are only allowed to resell the early purchases “on or after the Mint’s official on-sale date, time, and conditions, such as household order limitations,” according to the Mint

“This new program is structured to better meet marketplace product availability on the initial on sale date, by expanding the distribution of Mint products,” according to Mint officials.

ABBP applicants must be active members in the Mint’s existing Numismatic Bulk Purchase Program (NBPP) in good standing for at least two years, have a two-year revenue average with the NBPP of at least $500,000 annually, and have a history of full compliance with the Mint’s excessive returns policy.

“This new program will help to enhance the distribution of numismatic Mint products as they go on sale, expanding availability of our products by utilizing well-vetted business partners that have long-term relationships with the Mint’s Numismatic Programs,” according to Mint officials. “Not all Mint products will be offered through this program, and no more than 10 percent of products with limited quantities will be distributed under this program.

“No discounts will be given to ABPP members, and some products will carry a premium.

“The products available through this program will be distributed equally to Authorized Bulk members.

“The Mint will not ship product to ABPP members, who must provide their own product security and transport.

“Pick-ups will be allowed three days prior to the official on-sale date.”

• Options

I'm soooo jealous. They only have to buy $500,000+ every year, pay a PREMIUM over the issue price, and pick up the product directly at PFSWeb and transport it themselves.

• Options

If you folks want to be mad at anybody, you should be mad at the Authorized Dealers of bullion. You can't buy bullion directly from the Mint, you can only buy it from Authorized Dealers. Those folks have the sweetheart deal.

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2021 6:28AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@blu62vette said:

Pinehurst
    Apmex

2 down...16 to go.

Don't forget to add that Mezack character on TV (can't recall the company name).....now that I bring him up, he was selling the 2-coin RP 'Designer Set', in-hand, ANACS holders, naturally, for $1,299.99

I'll come up with something.
  • Options

@NotSure said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@blu62vette said:

Pinehurst
    Apmex

2 down...16 to go.

Don't forget to add that Mezack character on TV (can't recall the company name).....now that I bring him up, he was selling the 2-coin RP 'Designer Set', in-hand, ANACS holders, naturally, for $1,299.99

I'm not sure he qualifies. He'd have to spend $500k per year at the Mint. Does he sell that much stuff?

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin World.............Monday Morning Brief for Sept. 20, 2021: Transparency and trust

By William T. Gibbs

The United States Mint’s rejection of our request for the identities of the 18 participants in the Authorized Bulk Purchase Program came as no surprise to the Coin World staff. We anticipated that Mint officials would reject our request filed under the Freedom of Information Act. We will continue to seek the participants’ identities, because the collecting public has a right to know.

We do not intend any malice in seeking these identities. We believe, as do many of our collector readers, that transparency in government is essential. The Mint has long made the identities of its bulk purchaser partners — those who buy American Eagle, American Buffalo and America the Beautiful bullion coins — public. Despite the Mint’s citation of trade secrets as a reason to not disclose the identities of its ABPP partners, we believe that the transparency exhibited for the authorized bullion purchasers program should be extended to its bulk purchasers of numismatic products.

We also do not object to the concept of the Authorized Bulk Purchase Program itself. In fact, years ago we advocated for something similar, a suggestion that was not warmly embraced by some of our collector customers and that will likely find new opponents. The Mint should be able to meet the needs of both its collector customers and its dealer customers, as long as the Mint is fair in its distribution and allocations of limited-edition coins and sets. We also believe that the Mint should vigorously pursue individuals and dealers who try to circumvent household and bulk purchase limits, and deny them access to Mint products for a suitable period of time. Whatever the techniques used by re-sellers — bots, having employees buy the maximum number per household only to turn them over to their employer — the Mint should do everything it can to catch the culprits and punish them accordingly.

We are not seeking details of how much product an ABPP participant purchases; we can sympathize with dealers who do not want that becoming public knowledge. However, by participating in a government program, they should be willing to accept that public disclosure of their membership in the ABPP comes with the benefits.

Continues in link.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/monday-morning-brief-for-sept-20-2021-transparency-and-trust

• Options
    NotSureNotSure Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NotSure said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@blu62vette said:

Pinehurst
    Apmex

2 down...16 to go.

I'm not sure he qualifies. He'd have to spend $500k per year at the Mint. Does he sell that much stuff?

He sells that much stuff...late nights and weekends, he pops up everywhere, besides his regular gig on HSN

I'll come up with something.
  • Options

@Goldbully said:
    Coin World.............Monday Morning Brief for Sept. 20, 2021: Transparency and trust

By William T. Gibbs

The United States Mint’s rejection of our request for the identities of the 18 participants in the Authorized Bulk Purchase Program came as no surprise to the Coin World staff. We anticipated that Mint officials would reject our request filed under the Freedom of Information Act. We will continue to seek the participants’ identities, because the collecting public has a right to know.

We do not intend any malice in seeking these identities. We believe, as do many of our collector readers, that transparency in government is essential. The Mint has long made the identities of its bulk purchaser partners — those who buy American Eagle, American Buffalo and America the Beautiful bullion coins — public. Despite the Mint’s citation of trade secrets as a reason to not disclose the identities of its ABPP partners, we believe that the transparency exhibited for the authorized bullion purchasers program should be extended to its bulk purchasers of numismatic products.

We also do not object to the concept of the Authorized Bulk Purchase Program itself. In fact, years ago we advocated for

My personal opinion: apples & oranges.

The ADs are granted that status and given a monopoly on distribution for bullion that the Mint itself does not sell directly to the public.

The Bulk Purchase program simply gives the Mint's largest customers an allocation of future releases with NO discount and NO shipping. Those products are sold directly to the public from the Mint.

So, the ADs should be identified as they are essentially Mint subcontractors. Bulk purchasers are simply large customers and there is no "insider" status.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

Why? Because they make a business of selling Mint products? Ooooo.... such bad people.

You state Pinehurst is one of them. Was this the company that refused to honor the lower prices on the 2019 enhanced reverse proof flippable silver eagle claiming it couldn't get them? I forget.

• Options

I am definitely not one of them. lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this thread.

• Mint makes a product.
    • Product is sold to wholesalers to reduce mints distribution complexity with no degradation of value (undiscounted).
    • These wholesalers redistribute to other retailers based on where market premiums are highest
    • Those retailers sell to the general public

That is 3 mark-ups. Not much unlike a loaf of bread, or a car. A nice neat capitalistic distribution method. Are you saying there is a thorn in the road?

The mint needs people who can take truckloads, and whose checks are good.

I would be interested in hearing a conversation about "what is the proposed change, the value proposition of that change, and how we would get there?"

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Who cares?

You state Pinehurst is one of them. Was this the company that refused to honor the lower prices on the 2019 enhanced reverse proof flippable silver eagle claiming it couldn't get them? I forget.

I'm GUESSING that Pinehurst is one of them. But those are really 2 different things, aren't they? Do you know that they could get the 2019 ERP? And I'm not sure that one has anything to do with the other.

• Options

@AMRC said:
    Love this thread.

• Mint makes a product.
    • Product is sold to wholesalers to reduce mints distribution complexity with no degradation of value (undiscounted).
    • These wholesalers redistribute to other retailers based on where market premiums are highest
    • Those retailers sell to the general public

That is 3 mark-ups. Not much unlike a loaf of bread, or a car. A nice neat capitalistic distribution method. Are you saying there is a thorn in the road?

The mint needs people who can take truckloads, and whose checks are good.

I would be interested in hearing a conversation about "what is the proposed change, the value proposition of that change, and how we would get there?"

People are treating everything like it is one of the manufactured rarities. When one of these bulk buyers is buying 5,000 proof sets, they don't care. When they got 45 four coin AGE sets, they think they are being robbed. So, on the basis of the SMALLEST order these folks place, they are claiming they are getting unfair preferential treatment.

For some of the manufactured rarities, these people don't even get the advanced release. For others, they do get an advanced allocation at an INCREASED price. It's a bonus to major buyers, like every other business in America. I refuse to care.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Pinehurst
    Apmex

2 down...16 to go.

You're one of them aren't you? >:)

I wish.

By the way, you do know that PCGS offers preferential pricing to bulk dealers, pricing WELL BELOW what you pay. One person I know who gets PCGS bulk pricing gets under $10 per coin on moderns. Maybe you'd like to take a shot at that practice and let our hosts know how unfair you think it is.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Pinehurst
    Apmex

2 down...16 to go.

You're one of them aren't you? >:)

I wish.

By the way, you do know that PCGS offers preferential pricing to bulk dealers, pricing WELL BELOW what you pay. One person I know who gets PCGS bulk pricing gets under $10 per coin on moderns. Maybe you'd like to take a shot at that practice and let our hosts know how unfair you think it is.

Whoa
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t matter why people want to know the names of the companies involved, and it doesn’t matter whether we agree with people upset with this program. What matters is that the Federal government be transparent where they should be. I can tell you with decades of experience, exemption 4 of FOIA (protecting trade secrets) does not apply to the company names of those involved with this program. I anticipate that the appeal will not be successful (because the Mint Director was undoubtedly already involved in this decision, so his decision on the appeal will be no different). But a lawsuit would easily win. The Mint is not accustomed to being held accountable through FOIA, so this is the beginning of their testing the limits of transparency. I hope Coin World pushes this to the courts. Their court fees would be paid by the Mint when they win.

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    It doesn’t matter why people want to know the names of the companies involved, and it doesn’t matter whether we agree with people upset with this program. What matters is that the Federal government be transparent where they should be. I can tell you with decades of experience, exemption 4 of FOIA (protecting trade secrets) does not apply to the company names of those involved with this program. I anticipate that the appeal will not be successful (because the Mint Director was undoubtedly already involved in this decision, so his decision on the appeal will be no different). But a lawsuit would easily win. The Mint is not accustomed to being held accountable through FOIA, so this is the beginning of their testing the limits of transparency. I hope Coin World pushes this to the courts. Their court fees would be paid by the Mint when they win.

So, should I be able to get your order history via FOIA request?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    So, should I be able to get your order history via FOIA request?

Or the names and addresses of everybody who has ordered from them?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file