Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would PCGS straight grade this walker?

moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

How picky are they about scratch on well circ. coins?

Thanks!

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think so, but not for the reason you think.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

@AMRC said:
    I don't think so, but not for the reason you think.

...?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s not been cleaned, I believe it would definitely straight grade.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very. Makes selling them harder.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not.... Scratch and cleaning.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hard to tell from pic, if it has not been cleaned, then it would straight grade

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look seems off on it; as one of the former graders said, on lower grade coins problems like hits, etc. are less of a reason for a details grade. Plus you can look at the statistics page on pcgs.com which has a breakdown of reasons for no grades but does not break them into grade levels.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

The scratch is pretty small. I think it should grade ok (G6).

• Options

Doesn't look obviously cleaned to my unpracticed eye... compared perhaps with e.g. this beauty which PCGS straight graded. Different series, of course. Maybe the answer is "PCGS might straight grade it" :wink:

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

At lower grades, PCGS is much more lenient on small scratches and old cleaning.

I think it has a shot.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it will grade.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@dcarr said:

Yeah, G06 is where I would put it.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't bet on it between surface quality and scratch in a prime focal area.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭

I think it will grade. I think it should be a tad darker in color.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2021 11:56AM

NICE split of opinions!
    Shall I take up a collection, buy the coin from ebay ($250), submit it to PCGS, and see what happens?
    Who wants to chip in?
    :grin:

• Options

in my opinion it's a great album coin

Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I'm hoping that for less than $250 I can get a nice album coin, good rim, date, and mint mark. If this $250 guy were $220, I'd be sorely tempted.

Thanks.

• Options
    edited September 16, 2021 12:23PM

@hummingbird_coins said:

That's what i'm after. But it's a little steep. And I've already spent my self-imposed budget for the next couple of weeks. :smile:
    So many coins, so meager funds...

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baking soda cleaned back in the 60s. I can tell by the mellow look about it (with grime still in the devices. Neat coin overall, I just wouldn't overpay or bother getting it slabbed. If it did grade out I'd venture FN12.

peacockcoins

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

are those little black circles toning or pits? they might get it for corrosion if pits.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:
    NICE split of opinions!
    Shall I take up a collection, buy the coin from ebay ($250), submit it to PCGS, and see what happens?
    Who wants to chip in?
    :grin:

That coin isn't worth $250 in a straight grade holder

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a coin that is somewhere between AG-3 and Good-4, the scratch should not make a difference. The cleaning is another matter.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@moursund said:

@dcarr said:

Yeah, G06 is where I would put it.

@braddick said:
    Baking soda cleaned back in the 60s. I can tell by the mellow look about it (with grime still in the devices. Neat coin overall, I just wouldn't overpay or bother getting it slabbed. If it did grade out I'd venture FN12.

@BillJones said:
    For a coin that is somewhere between AG-3 and Good-4, the scratch should not make a difference. The cleaning is another matter.

Jeezaloo! Out of the realm of "what would PCGS do" and "is this cleaned", and into technical grade:
    This coin is, by PCGS photograde, pretty clearly G06 within a whisker, and yet other experienced collectors are suggesting anywhere from AG3 to FN12. How can this be?!?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not cleaned it shouldn't be a problem to get it into a graded slab IMO.

• Options

yeah, to me it doesn't actually look cleaned

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:

It’s hard to imagine it being that worn and at the same time, that light, on its own.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

It’s hard to imagine it being that worn and at the same time, that light, on its own.

From the pictures, i don't see any cleaning but pictures can be deceiving

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might grade, but something was likely done to it. Those black spots on and around the sun look like they were worse at one time. I don't know what "baking soda cleaned" coins look like but maybe it was just a good ol' soap and water job.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2021 4:14PM

@hummingbird_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

From the pictures, i don't see any cleaning but pictures can be deceiving

Color alone suggests cleaning. Cleaning does not require hairline or physical surface damage.

Also notice the spots in the field that appear to have been lightened from the chemical cleaning.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    It might grade, but something was likely done to it. Those black spots on and around the sun look like they were worse at one time. I don't know what "baking soda cleaned" coins look like but maybe it was just a good ol' soap and water job.

Soap and water wouldn't lighten those dark toning spots. It's some form of dipping.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd definitely pass unless you could somehow get it graded cheap but even then you would be a lot better off buying one already slabbed, rare coins do pop up on ebay and you can make an offer.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they say in Texas " El Paso ".

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

That's what i'm after. But it's a little steep. And I've already spent my self-imposed budget for the next couple of weeks. :smile:
    So many coins, so meager funds...

So, this is just a hypothetical exercise then…..it’s outside of your present budget, and you don’t intend to get it slabbed anyway. That’s fine.

Given that, but not knowing what the rest of your coins look like, pass on this one, save your funds, then hunt for a full VG with original skin, raw or slabbed; like the one linked. They aren’t rare, but there is good demand for ‘21D walkers like this. You’ll be proud to own it and it will be an easy seller down the road.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file