Home U.S. Coin Forum

Investing in coinage or bullion?

What is a better thing to invest in? Coinage or Bullion? Why? If I were to want to invest in coinage, what coins would be a great investment? If I were to invest in bullion/precious metal, what would be the best? What type? Bars, ASE, regular rounds, or nuggets? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectible coins generally aren’t good investment risks.

Right now, bullion has high premiums and the idea is not to make bullion investments at this time.

The way to play bullion is to buy bullion holders’ etf on the stock market.

Finally, if you’re really set on moving out, you’d need cash, not investments. Save cash for moving expenses then emergency cash for unforeseen expenses. Then you do the investing after you have the cash you need.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Nah, leave it up as educational

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

As was stated, for most people, coins are not investments. The stock market is where you invest. There are many dealers on this site. They try to buy and sell to make a living. The ability to do that takes a lot of time. Keep in mind the premium to buy coins or bullion as a non-dealer will eat a lot of your investment. Buy what you like. Enjoy it and maybe one day it will move higher.

Good luck to you.

there are crypto etfs too. no wallet to lose or get hacked.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

Coinbase "seems" to be safe. No Wallet, No recent Hacks. I own 4 different crypto in my Coinbase account.

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭✭

On resale, you will get more hemming and hawing with coins.
    All you will get with bullion is immediate cash.

:)

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins can be an investment but they certainly don't pay dividends. And when investing the trick is to either be lucky or smarter than the crowd, IMHO luck isn't a strategy. The coins that have performed best are the blue chips much like every other niche and those take big money to get into and are dependent on whale's tastes. A marginal 73cc seated dollar will not do as well as an all there CAC example in the highend of survivors but most dealers will simple tell you a 73cc dollar is a great buy.

Most investment do best when you align with the class of buyers you will liquidate to. Don't buy what you like, buy what your targeted class of buyers like.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinage... and in my answer really has no boundaries. And this concept is not about US coinage but it is about the World just to avoid ay misunderstandings. And this may seem difficult to deal with but you framed the question

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    Coins can be an investment but they certainly don't pay dividends. And when investing the trick is to either be lucky or smarter than the crowd, IMHO luck isn't a strategy. The coins that have performed best are the blue chips much like every other niche and those take big money to get into and are dependent on whale's tastes. A marginal 73cc seated dollar will not do as well as an all there CAC example in the highend of survivors but most dealers will simple tell you a 73cc dollar is a great buy.

Most investment do best when you align with the class of buyers you will liquidate to. Don't buy what you like, buy what your targeted class of buyers like.

Apple's dividend .68% is piddly compared to the amount of money that they make and the amount of cash that they have sitting around. They could well afford to pay a LOT more. If you're looking for dividends, IMO Apple aint it.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are a hobby and not an "investment". If you are paying retail your chance of making a profit is low.

Bullion is a speculation, not an "investment".

All glory is fleeting.

Dividend payers are not the investment for someone 17

Growth is. A good s&p500 fund would be good in the future like Vanguards or Vanguards total market fund.

As far as the coins as investments, if you go down that road you better know your coins and what a good deal

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Study. Buy something you like with bullion type value built in ie pre 64 dime quarter half. Perhaps a silver commemorative or some such thing combining bullion and coin collecting. Then study ask more questions and repeat. Slowly dip your toes into the water. The more I learn the more I wish I had followed that advice 🤓🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree :D
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭✭

Back on September 1, 2018 gold was selling for $1,191.50. Couldn't believe almost $1,200 an ounce!
    Back on September 1, 2006 gold was selling for $598.60. Couldn't believe almost $600 an ounce!
    Back on September 1 2001 I still remember gold selling for $292.40. Couldn't believe dealers wanted almost $300 an ounce!

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image

My brother was stationed in Germany 1963 USArmy and has told me stories of going into a bank there and buying $20 gold at face. I still don’t know if I believe him 🤔

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    My brother was stationed in Germany 1963 USArmy and has told me stories of going into a bank there and buying $20 gold at face. I still don’t know if I believe him 🤔

The melt value of the $20 gold coins was well above $20 at that time. The story is unlikely to be accurate. I can't see European banks parting with gold below its melt value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    Back on September 1, 2018 gold was selling for $1,191.50. Couldn't believe almost $1,200 an ounce!
    Back on September 1, 2006 gold was selling for $598.60. Couldn't believe almost $600 an ounce!
    Back on September 1 2001 I still remember gold selling for $292.40. Couldn't believe dealers wanted almost $300 an ounce!

And in 2002 common Double Eagles were going for $400-500 at Heritage Auctions. Crazy times. I can't imagine winning 10 auctions and sending them $4000. Wow.

Did I fail to mention he was prone to stretching the truth 😂

@SummerDays3104 said:

Oh... I guess that makes sense... I don't know if I'd even invest at this point since, as even you said, I'm saving up... I wanted to know for future reference... Maybe I should take this post down and ask at a later point so there's no confusion?

saving up or looking to buy dcarr items $100 or less?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

A gold coin, a silver coin, a collectable coin that you like. Every payday. Start when you're young......be persistent...... be patient....

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector coins are a hobby, bullion is inflation insurance. Many variables within that, but that’s my simple plan.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Collector coins are a hobby, bullion is inflation insurance. Many variables within that, but that’s my simple plan.

Smudge, you and I are saying the same thing. The wording is just a little different. It is a simple plan. And a good one.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2021 11:01PM

Numismatic coins have not performed well since 89. Has all the money been wrung out of US classic coins? See Pcgs 3000 graph.

Get bullion coins - Pcgs slabbed Ones in 69 and 70 both silver and gold AE, Mexico Onza, Britannia, Australia issues. These coins most liquid especially on eBay.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2021 11:16PM

I’m going to take a slightly different angle here on the coins and even bullion as investments in that I do consider both to be investments, depending on their context in a greater portfolio of investments.
    Foremost, coins are a hobby of course, and to be enjoyed as such, but in the big scheme of things, I think they have value as a form of diversified investment product, much like art, or any other collectable.
    I wouldn’t throw a huge percentage of my net worth into any single collectable market, but overall, bullion and high quality coins, I consider to be a bit of a hedge.
    Diversification can go way beyond conventional investments in my opinion.
    And, I even include cryptocurrency in this diversified investment mix.
    And, since I’m throwing opinions around, I might also add that paying top dollar for MS-70 Proofs can be hazardous to your financial health as there is risk of their developing “milk spots” which can cut their value down significantly.
    Above all, have fun in investing and collecting and avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

@SummerDays3104 said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@SummerDays3104 said:

Oh... I guess that makes sense... I don't know if I'd even invest at this point since, as even you said, I'm saving up... I wanted to know for future reference... Maybe I should take this post down and ask at a later point so there's no confusion?

saving up or looking to buy dcarr items $100 or less?

I honestly don't know anymore... I change my mind like the direction of the wind... :s

Hey howdy. Take a nice breath. Look at how much information you have received in a very short time. What have you learned and how many stubbed toes have you already avoided. Small steps. Then review. Rinse and repeat. No need to rush out and do anything. Looks like you are really receiving this information overload, pretty good 🤓
    Look through the responses and ask if your not sure. Hang in there. You are the future

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2021 6:37AM

If investing , buy low. If collecting, pony up. Big differences. This is where our market/hobby is "bifurcated".

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2021 6:54AM

Every unmolested !!! "stupid coin" the stuff nobody wanted, that I ever bought netted me a profit. The trick was a 20 year wait, perhaps less years, but usually more. The Blue Chips need the same time, perhaps less, maybe more. _**What needs to be considered is simply this, exceptions excluded, and "this" is; are you in your peak earning years and do you have the cash you don't need, now or near future? I dislike the term "disposable", so, do you? are you? **_

Then you're welcome to collect, speculate, gamble, buy/sell, enjoy, invest or just admire your new found joy of collecting and
    numismatic study.

Soldi collector of crap and pre 1982 copper cents FOR MELT at 50% profit<-------tongue in cheek comment, but who knows

Remember "Bad money chases out good"

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a coworker buy a 1/10 of an ounce AGE ever pay day for almost 30 years and a few extra here or there. I sure he could have done better other places but Ill be damned when he showed me the rolls at his party. It was a lot of gold

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best investment advice I could give you for your age is AVOID DEBT! Build a cash emergency fund first before taking on risk.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 2 cents: I think 'investing' (term used loosely) in bullion is more about buying 'comfort'...more about fear of the demise of society as we know it. It's emergency currency, at best, should the banking system fail. Think 1929.

Long term, it's been proven to be a very poor investment. Look at charts going back 5, 10, 20, 30 years, and compare gold/silver's return to the S&P 500 return. It's pretty darn ugly.

I personally keep ~3% of my assets in PMs, and that even seems high to me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    Best investment advice I could give you for your age is AVOID DEBT! Build a cash emergency fund first before taking on risk.

This is generally reasonable advice but not always correct. Not all debt is created equal. Millions of kids need student loans. Obviously, those can be quite a burden too but I would never say that they are all bad.

The best simple investment advice is to invest in yourself - skills and education.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

I agree 100% with this.
    Building a cash emergency fund is paramount before you think of putting money into bullion. You don’t want to be selling gold or silver eagles to subsidize a car repair. Put yourself in a position to sell when you WANT to sell, not when you HAVE to sell. Bullion is a long hold, and not for those with a weak stomach.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

There are? Name a few. I don't believe the SEC has yet approved any.

Cryptos can be bought a number of places that don't require the technicality of a wallet. A risk of hacking is limited to your account with the broker. I own cryptos via Robinhood, Kraken exchange and Paypal accounts.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

edited September 8, 2021 12:15PM

@Smudge said:

Smudge understands it well. Stack PMs for the long haul, when the dollar crisis unfolds they will be your financial salvation.

Gold and silver modern collector coins can be a good short term investment as many here have learned with this year's US mint American Eagle releases.

@derryb said:

correct me if wrong:

GBTC and ETHE
    (both were played this year)

edited September 8, 2021 12:34PM

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

correct me if wrong:

GBTC and ETHE

They are both trusts from Grayscale that trade like stocks. GBTC offers a simple way to invest in bitcoin while ETHE offers a simple way to invest in ethereum. These are the top two cryptos when measured by market cap.

Grayscale is making preparations to convert its trusts to ETFs.

The SEC is now run by Gary Gensler (a friend of crytos) who has indicated crypto ETFs will be considered for US equity exchange listings. To date no crypto ETFs have been approved but, it looks like the day is near. Once one is approved look for it to rain crypto ETFs.

I like the volatility of cryptos and expect crypto ETF products to calm/stifle that volatility.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

correct me if wrong:

GBTC and ETHE

You mean Ethan Allen? :D>:)

https://keyt.com/news/money-and-business/cnn-business-consumer/2021/08/06/ethan-allen-changes-stock-symbol-from-eth-to-avoid-confusion-with-ethereum/

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

correct me if wrong:

GBTC and ETHE

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

correct me if wrong:

GBTC and ETHE

the laughing emoticon and devil emoticon are important.

ETH ... WAS ... the ticker for ethan allen stock.

ethan allen changed their ticker to ETD.

Reason given on CNBC tv? Avoind confusion with Ethereum Crypto. 'tis no joke.

https://ir.ethanallen.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/230/ethan-allen-announces-nyse-ticker-symbol-change-to-etd

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a function subject to the preferences of the investor, their goals, and their budget. Bullion is more liquid in my view.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file