Home U.S. Coin Forum

Half Dime or Half Disme?

The two names surely seem to be related and they both relate back to the small, silver five-cent coins of early United States Mint vintage. But why are there spelling variances like this, and how does one even pronounce “disme” anyway?

As then-Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson described, “the most easy ratio of multiplication and division is that of ten.” And “10” is a critical numerical component of the decimal system as proposed in the 1585 book La Disme by French mathematician Simon Stevin of Bruges.

The lucky few in the public who got to handle the new coins widely embraced them but had trouble in pronouncing the French-origin name of the new denomination, the half disme, which carries a silent “s” and “e” and is phonetically read as “deem.” In short order, the revised name, “dime,” was officially adopted for both the five-cent and ten-cent coins and by 1794, when the next run of half dimes and first batch of dimes officially hit production at the United States Mint, the “disme” spelling had been dropped in favor of the Americanized “dime.”

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/half-dime-or-half-disme

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A timely article.... periodically, this does come up as a forum topic. I recall first seeing it around 2002 or near there... that is when I learned it was 'deem'..... Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dime or Disme doesn't matter, they're both pronounced the same in English. the whole "deem" thing has been rehashed here ad nauseum and the point remains that we speak English and chose to pronounce it Dime. below is a pronounciation link for everyone. FWIW the oldest dictionary reference I could find on this was circa 1850 and nobody should be surprised that the proper pronounciation was Dime.

we should just accept that and stop thinking we're in France. we're in America and speak English and I feel better now. :p

https://youtube.com/watch?v=S9_HURjzXMM

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 8:58AM

It's interesting to listen to the various weather forecasters attempting to pronounce Hurricane Henri. Maybe it should hit Paris first.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm for: "Pronounce it any way you want to" - any "coin person" will know what you are talking about.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 9:42AM
  • ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 9:41AM

Nice Half Disme.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The word disme is a throwback spelling used in Old English. In Old English the syllables s and f are voiceless, not pronounced. Old English is a "dead" language. Only sophisticated no nothings give this any thought. To make it more clear: How do you say, "Knight in shining armor?" ..........The word, disme, correctly pronounced is.....DIME. The S is silent.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2021 11:59AM

By the way,....there are some hilarious Monty Python videos available on YouTube that deal indirectly with this subject. Worth watching.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Was a Dime ever a Disme?

The was a 1792 dated pattern coin that was called a "disme." It's in the 1792 pattern section of "The Red Book."

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

I've heard them called DIS-me (like Disney) on the Pawn-Stars show.
    I laughed because of course the s and the e are silent.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disme

Back in colonial days they also used what looks like a letter f to indicate an s.

So it would look like Difme in typeface..

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Potato...pohtahtoe! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

The word was pronounced "dime." Bob Julian demonstrated this from a contemporary poem.

The spelling "disme" possibly reflected Jefferson's status as a francophile.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    The word was pronounced "dime." Bob Julian demonstrated this from a contemporary poem.

The spelling "disme" possibly reflected Jefferson's status as a francophile.

Not often I have to look up a word, well played.

• coinz900coinz900 Posts: 22 ✭✭✭

I was doing some digging through the U.S. Mint records on NNP and noticed that half-dimes and dimes were noted as dismes and half-dismes until the mid 1830s. I'll make a post sometime soon about the topic. I find it quite interesting myself.

Frank Sawin
    18 Year Old Numismatist

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if a disme is dismal?

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • jkrkjkrk Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2021 3:12PM

One year I decided I wanted to own a half Dime. I bought an 1841in MS65.

My purchase price was a tad on the high side so..

I now call it....."Under water".

• CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2021 6:45AM

@coinz900 said:
    I was doing some digging through the U.S. Mint records on NNP and noticed that half-dimes and dimes were noted as dismes and half-dismes until the mid 1830s. I'll make a post sometime soon about the topic. I find it quite interesting myself.

The other angle here is to look at the various Coinage Acts. At some point they changed the spelling. Depending on how you read the Coinage Acts, you might be able to make some case that coins from a certain period using "dime" and not "disme" are in fact not legal issues (it would never stand up in court, but as a strict reading of the language there may be a case here).

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you gift me one, I'll call it Shirley if you want me to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file