Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC Black Slab Census - Now 42 documented

124»

Comments

• Options
    USARaritiesUSARarities Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Congrats on another great add to the collection!!!

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I’ve stated before I am acquainted with a Western New York collector who holds 10 NGC 1.0 US coins, all of which I doubt are in the astrorat census, unless he declares otherwise.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:
    As I’ve stated before I am acquainted with a Western New York collector who holds 10 NGC 1.0 US coins, all of which I doubt are in the astrorat census, unless he declares otherwise.

I added a note to the OP about the Western New York collector. To my knowledge, the holders are not part of the ones listed.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@astrorat said:

@coindeuce said:

I added a note to the OP about the Western New York collector. To my knowledge, the holders are not part of the ones listed.

I’ll PM you with my take on this.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindeuce said:

@astrorat said:

@coindeuce said:

The 1946-D walker I just purchased and displayed its photo was part of the Western New York collection and at least half of his collection are already in the census report.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2021 6:27PM

@oreville said:

@coindeuce said:

@astrorat said:

@coindeuce said:

The 1946-D walker I just purchased and displayed its photo was part of the Western New York collection and at least half of his collection are already in the census report.

PM sent. You may not be referring to the same collector. I personally know 2 collectors in Western New York with hoards of NGC 1.0 holders. One is a dealer, and the other one is a low profile collector.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2021 6:24PM

I’ll never understand why people pay such crazy money for plastic. Don’t they know when our sun goes nova they are all going to just vaporize ? 🤪

• Options
    edited July 3, 2021 6:29PM

@JimTyler said:
    I’ll never understand why people pay such crazy money for plastic. Don’t they know when our sun goes nova they are all going to just vaporize ? 🤪

They aren’t viewing the passion as being for plastic. They’re preserving history of not only the coins, but the history of the holders as well.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

Our rare coins might not vaporize but will melt into bullion form.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:

@JimTyler said:

They’ll probably figure out a way to slab that.

• Options

@JimTyler said:

@oreville said:

@JimTyler said:

They’ll probably figure out a way to slab that.

True indeed! LOL.

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastic is worth more than gold!
    Buy the holder, coins are insignificant!
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

Agree... trade all of your paper for plastic. Wow, that sounds like I'm at the grocery store checkout line... paper or plastic? But seriously, those of us who collect these early holders, samples and memorabilia from the early years of grading and slabbing really do it for the love of this hobby. We are collecting the history of coinage along with the history of numismatics. Some may not see it that way, and I will gladly trade my dollars and coins for their coins in first generation holders. They are rarer than most people realize... as reflected in the growing prices for PCGS White Rattlers, NGC Black Holders and NGC White Label coins. As long as a few of us collectors are around there will never be a bottom to the "holder market." I'll buy the holder AND the coin.

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options

Nice... I presume you are going to crack that one out and submit to your employer... lol. Sent you a pm.

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 2:50PM

@BrettPCGS said:

:* The irony is appreciated ;)
    Your geekdom is honored.
    Except for @oreville, everyone here of Social Security age both envies you and thinks you're nuts. B)
    There is a special secret Forum badge for clean fingers. Have you heard about it?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2021 3:24PM

@BrettPCGS said:

I am sure NGC is also buying up PCGS Regency slabs.

Smart you are hiding your fingernails!

Last but not least, that is #38 in the black NGC census.

• Options

The census on the first page has been updated to reflect the new addition from @BrettPCGS.

Thanks!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hah they’re as clean as they’ve ever been because of the 1933 $20 photo shoot.

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 5:26PM

@BrettPCGS said:

Hah they’re as clean as they’ve ever been because of the 1933 $20 photo shoot.

I see you holding your secret forum badge with the very fingers that earned it. @oreville will will arrange the award ceremony. As pleased as your expression upon receiving might be, I hope you will not be overly disappointed to find that, like TruViews, Forum badges may be publicly displayed, but ownership remains with Collectors Universe.. :'(

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2021 9:31PM

@USARarities said:
    Agree... trade all of your paper for plastic. Wow, that sounds like I'm at the grocery store checkout line... paper or plastic? But seriously, those of us who collect these early holders, samples and memorabilia from the early years of grading and slabbing really do it for the love of this hobby. We are collecting the history of coinage along with the history of numismatics. Some may not see it that way, and I will gladly trade my dollars and coins for their coins in first generation holders. They are rarer than most people realize... as reflected in the growing prices for PCGS White Rattlers, NGC Black Holders and NGC White Label coins. As long as a few of us collectors are around there will never be a bottom to the "holder market." I'll buy the holder AND the coin.

Question for USA Rarities and others:

Had the 1933 Saint been slabbed by NGC in the black NGC 1.0 slab or by PCGS in the PCGS white label rattler....would there be any remaining premium for the old slabs?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:

@USARarities said:

Question for USA Rarities and others:

Had the 1933 Saint been slabbed by NGC in the black NGC 1.0 slab or by PCGS in the PCGS white label rattler....would there be any remaining premium for the old slabs?

No. As a general rule, as a coin becomes more expensive and more rare, the added value or premium for a rare slab drops in relation to the coin. The value of a famous and expensive coin like a 1933 Saint would not be influenced by a rare slab but the value a common coin like an 1880-S Morgan would be greatly enhanced by a rare slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Interesting question, to which I'm sure Oreville already knows the answers. Here is my pov. If I had the opportunity to buy one of two identical ultra-rare $1M+ coins, sitting side-by-side at a dealer's table, one in a shiny new holder, one in a first generation holder (NGC or PCGS) --- Yes, I would be willing to pay slightly more for the identical coin in the first generation holder. How much? On a $1M coin, perhaps $5k, which amounts to a 0.005 premium or half a percent. What's a few additional $k for rare coin in a rare holder. But how realistic is that scenario, and the guys that are collecting the holders aren't likely go after a $1M coin just to own the holder.

Now compare that to an MS64 1880-S Morgan in and NGC Gen 1 black holder (as mentioned above) --- a $100 coin in say a $5k holder (grossly underestimated in today's market). Now we are talking about a premium of 50X or 5000%.

So, in conclusion, YES, a holder always has value, but the law of diminishing returns is absolutely in play, and that is a very steep curve, from my pov.

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@USARarities said:
    Interesting question, to which I'm sure Oreville already knows the answers. Here is my pov. If I had the opportunity to buy one of two identical ultra-rare $1M+ coins, sitting side-by-side at a dealer's table, one in a shiny new holder, one in a first generation holder (NGC or PCGS) --- Yes, I would be willing to pay slightly more for the identical coin in the first generation holder. How much? On a $1M coin, perhaps $5k, which amounts to a 0.005 premium or half a percent. What's a few additional $k for rare coin in a rare holder. But how realistic is that scenario, and the guys that are collecting the holders aren't likely go after a $1M coin just to own the holder.

Now compare that to an MS64 1880-S Morgan in and NGC Gen 1 black holder (as mentioned above) --- a $100 coin in say a $5k holder (grossly underestimated in today's market). Now we are talking about a premium of 50X or 5000%.

So, in conclusion, YES, a holder always has value, but the law of diminishing returns is absolutely in play, and that is a very steep curve, from my pov.

Couldn't have said it better, myself.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

New 1884-O Morgan dollar in MS-64 just added.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2021 12:11PM

This population has grown by over 5% in just the past month.

Can anyone calculate the potential decline in their market value between now and the bottom of the projected market crash in 84-CC Morgans??

Who can now answer @oreville's new hypotheticals?

What relative value plus or minus would you place on the '33 Saint if it were encased in "the ??" or "a !!!" beaned NGC "prototype" with no grade insert? Actually, that's eight or twelve questions ;)

What would you pay for an NFT of the video of it being broken out accompanied by ownership of the iconic corpse of the slab?

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2021 2:21PM

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

@USARarities said:

That was well stated. I do not disagree. However, in the heat of bidding in an auction, just one extra bid or two or three or four by the underbidder can affect the final price way more than all the technical points we and others have raised. Conversely, the lack of an underbidder bid can affect the final price as well.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

There would not be a $1M coin in a black NGC holder. It would have been reholdered for an upgrade years ago.

thefinn
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

I see that Stack's Bowers has NGC black in one of their ANA auctions.
    It is 84-O # 121699-017.
    Unfortunately it has a double cracked case.
    Any guesses as to final bid even with cracked case?

• Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@Lew said:
    It is 84-O # 121699-017.

A homely coin in a heavy damaged holder...probably go for $6500+. :p

• Options

I decided to compare my list of NGC 1.0's with this one and found that I failed to post two that I found over the last year+
    121194-020 1881-S Morgan MS63 (Sold at Stacks Apr 1 2016)
    https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2M1R7/1881-s-morgan-silver-dollar-ms-63-ngc-oh-first-generation

121047-013 1924 Saint Gaudens MS63 Gold CAC (Likely sold in 2015 based on description in listing)
    https://archive.vn/uaWTp (archived page with price)
    https://www.aucm.com/1924-saint-gaudens-20-ngc-ms63-cac-gold-33114124.html (current page w/o price)

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

With those additions I am showing 41.

thefinn
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.coinraritiesonline.com/road-report/

New one. Boone Commem in 65 CAC. John bought and sold in minutes.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options

@86Saab said:

@Lew said:
    It is 84-O # 121699-017.

A homely coin in a heavy damaged holder...probably go for $6500+. :p

It's already at $5,040 ( 4200 + 840 BP ) , so you might be right .

Going by this example a problem free Black Holder morgan would be valued at +/- 10K .

SMH.

• Options

The damaged NGC Black holder went for $5,760 with the BP. I know the buyer quite well.

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to the winner. I was not willing to exceed $4800 so count me as one of the many underbidders.

• Options

As a side note, I reached out to the Customer Service Manager at NGC prior to bidding to determine whether there was any way to replace the plastic housing without affecting the core or label. As you may have guessed by my underbid, I was informed it was not possible.

• Options

Thanks for sharing that. I have no doubt NGC would have ZERO interest in touching this coin/holder. A proper repair would require an original fatty shell (clear plastic top and bottom) which was last made almost 35 years ago (as used on Gen 1 and 2.1 holders thru November '87). Cracking the coin and black core out without any damage would be no problem. Getting a donor shell would be the big issue and would require sacrificing at least one white label Gen 2.1 slab, and cracking the donor coin out without damaging the shell. Of course, the NGC guarantee on the $100 Morgan dollar would be void :) . And... the owner would always have to disclose that the outer shell has been repaired/replaced. But any potential future buyer would likely be well aware of the history.

What do ya'll think - should the new owner leave it alone or attempt a repair?

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options

My house is just a few years shy of 200 year old, a huge part of my desire to buy it 11 years ago was that it was mostly in original condition. As I've restored it room by room over the years I've preserve as much of it's character & history as possible, worn and dinged trim, plaster, railings, doors etc. These defects add to the story and charm of the house. Due to the diligence of past owners who accumulated history, stories, diaries and photos of of life in this old stone house I can now point at many of it's imperfections and tell their story.

All of that to say, I vote to leave the cracked shell, it is part of it's story. It would no longer be whole, a fully original gen 1 if it got a new shell. It'd be great if someone knows the story of how it got cracked and added it to the record for future owners. Isn't that why we all collect coins in the first place? The history and the stories, wondering who holed that rarity or carved it, dinged it or preserved it. I think that is why those of us who collect the holders by generation and odd ball slabs do it, it's part of the story.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2021 7:09PM

l also own a black NGC Slab showing a 1922 MS-62 $20 Saint grade. However, it had been cracked open many many years ago and an MS-61 1922 Saint was substituted in its place. it is shown in the black NGC census report. Obviously, it did not get awarded with a CAC sticker for this reason.

It was a perfectly cracked open slab in which it was able to be resealed with very few collectors noticing it.

Instead of being priced as a damaged black NGC slab, It should be valued as a worthy research slab.

• Options

already in the census

• Options
    edited June 26, 2022 6:45PM

already in the census.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    As a side note, I reached out to the Customer Service Manager at NGC prior to bidding to determine whether there was any way to replace the plastic housing without affecting the core or label. As you may have guessed by my underbid, I was informed it was not possible.

so it would just need to be submitted for reholder while keeping the paper insert and the black coin holder and coin, right?

that would be dependent upon them having access to the same type of no line plastic slab. i would think.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@pointfivezero said:

so it would just need to be submitted for reholder while keeping the paper insert and the black coin holder and coin, right?

that would be dependent upon them having access to the same type of no line plastic slab. i would think.

Apparently there is no way to replace the plastic housing while maintaining the integrity of the label and black core, at least this is how I read the response:

Tim

• Options

I'm not surprised by this response. See my post above regarding the challenges of re-holdering.

Chris, USA Rarities
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that NGC has any of the original "no line fatty" shells left. They were probably used up several decades ago when they changed the shell configuration.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I doubt that NGC has any of the original "no line fatty" shells left. They were probably used up several decades ago when they changed the shell configuration.

i was thinking more along the lines of MAYBE using another holder(S) in that generation. perhaps using some delicate technique, sacrificing one/few less valuable slabs but perhaps the sonic sealing or whatever process NGC uses if different from PCGS to seal them back up and/or what they used to use compared to now.

when they say there is no way to do it, that is nothing more than a canned response to state they aren't interested and/or perhaps there is no current method to do it and do it properly. we can fly to the moon, replace hearts, lungs, some people can calculate Pi to like the 1,000th digit off the top of their head, i'm fairly certain replacing a simple piece of plastic is possible. i bet if i gave it some thought, could come up with several ways to do it and not mess up the database, pops, etc BUT there would need to be something to indicate the plastic housing has been replaced. i don't like the idea of a swap unless NGC had some originals because it probably wouldn't be exactly the same.

i'm sure we've all noticed (not just coins) that companies are finding new and inventive ways of getting more money from customers, ie: reconsideration or one of those services charging 1% of the value if the item upgrades, ebay increasing their max selling fee (a lot), etc so perhaps a retro submission service for antique slabs, fee based on current value when submitted? probably not enough business to warrant it but when there is creativity, desire and money, it can usually be done.

tbh, some people would probably prefer the cracked slab as oppose to a replaced same time period slab from another coin.

i really don't care either way, just like coming up with ways to do things. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file