Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1947 Bond Bread Stan Musial!

Vintagehoarder1986Vintagehoarder1986 Posts: 137 ✭✭✭

Hello, I am new here. Checked out the forums and figured this would be a neat place to join and try out. I've seen some people post cards here who have had members here help grade their cards. I have two 1947 Bond Bread cards I need help grading. These appear high grade, but one looks MC. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2021 12:14PM

best case scenario is yours is a ‘49 and not even a bond bread. worst case scenario its fake.

47 bond breads all had the rounded corners to fit in the bread packaging. the images were used over and over throughout the rest of the 40s thru early 50s.

everywhere from hess shoes to elgee toys:

• Options

I doubt these are fake. I've owned some fake ones before, and the differences are noticeable. The originals often have print spots on the back and often bleed over from the edges, which these also do. Of the graded versions I've seen, these are labeled as 1947.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 12:28PM

@Vintagehoarder1986 said:
    I doubt these are fake. I've owned some fake ones before, and the differences are noticeable. The originals often have print spots on the back and often bleed over from the edges, which these also do. Of the graded versions I've seen, these are labeled as 1947.

no doubt they are labeled ‘47. that doesnt make it so though.

do you have a blacklight?

eta: reach out to tedzan over at net54. dude is the wizard when it comes to the bond bread issue and its reproductions. and by reproduction, it doesn't mean anything negative as the pics were 1st used by bond but then immediately reused, like many photos were back then, almost immediately for tons of other promotions. tell him bob said hi!

• Options

These do not fluorescence under black light. These are purple, whereas, the other ones were blue.

• Options

I'm certain they're original. They were sold to me by reputable sellers I've grown to trust, and have did my own research

• Options

best of luck and good luck w the grade!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are not Bond Bread cards; they could be ‘47 cards but probably at little later on, as @blurryface mentioned.

Google ‘Festburg Find’ and you’ll get even more information but as mentioned, the ‘47 Bond Bread had die cut rounded corners. Here’s three cards together which illustrates the point:

Yours is the one at right, I think. While I still have the Yogi, I gave up both of those Jackie’s and a few other nice items in a nice trade for:

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@Vintagehoarder1986

See above - hope it is helpful as that is my only goal.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Yes, I also own the Musial with the rounded corners. Although, it's in rougher shape. I will look into that, it sounds interesting. If you research, though, you'll find some of these that both SGC and PSA have labeled as 1947 Bond Bread Exhibits. PSA only graded one before stopping, though. Not sure why they stopped, unless it was over the forgeries.

• Options

Cool Gehrig, by the way. I own a Mays Exhibit PSA5.5.

• Options

It's an early version of his card, too, where he was still with New York before they switched to San Francisco.

• Options

Yes, I also own the Musial with the rounded corners. Although, it's in rougher shape. I will look into that, it sounds interesting. If you research, though, you'll find some of these that both SGC and PSA have labeled as 1947 Bond Bread Exhibits. PSA only graded one before stopping, though. Not sure why they stopped, unless it was over the forgeries.

The actual Bond Bread exhibits are very rare and have the same images but are Exhibit sized (and likely are neither Bond Bread bread nor Exhibit!)

I know PSA doesn’t but I think SGC still grades white backs with die cut corners as ‘47 Bond Bread.

• Options

Yeah, SGC still grades these. I do see the difference in the backs of what you're referring to. Very confusing, indeed. I will just have to send these in and see what happens. I know SGC is labeling these as Exhibits, but the backs definitely do differ from one to another.

• Options

Cool Gehrig, by the way. I own a Mays Exhibit PSA5.5.

Love Exhibits…

• Options

Those are really cool. I too like them. I just mostly collect Willie Mays, though. It became too much to keep up with collecting a large sum of different legendary players. I even owned a 1951 Bowman Mays at one time, but the original owner cut a small portion of it down, so it lost a good portion of its value. I eventually just sold it and stuck to his other cards and Exhibits.

• Options

Heres my Mays.

• Options

Those are really cool. I too like them. I just mostly collect Willie Mays, though. It became too much to keep up with collecting a large sum of different legendary players. I even owned a 1951 Bowman Mays at one time, but the original owner cut a small portion of it down, so it lost a good portion of its value. I eventually just sold it and stuck to his other cards and Exhibits.

I like his Yankee rival, Mickey Charles.

• Options

Nothing wrong with that. I just like Mays, but both are most definitely legends. Mays is still very affordable compared to Mantle, so that's where I been going. As long as I have one of them, I'm happy.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 2:48PM

a lil rusty, but to throw in another monkey wrench theres also the homogenized bond bread cards which i dont think are even related to the regular bond bread company. if i remember correctly, they are a lil larger, w square corners and a tanner back.

eta: walker cooper is kinda the key to unraveling the mystery. he’s not in the ‘47 bond bread set w rounded borders. but he is in the larger homogenized set and still appears in a yankee uni. he was traded in late ‘49 which is why i suggested in my original post that it was most likely a ‘49. but then yours appears a lil small & white for the homogenized set.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    a lil rusty, but to throw in another monkey wrench theres also the homogenized bond bread cards which i dont think are even related to the regular bond bread company. if i remember correctly, they are a lil larger, w square corners and a tanner back.

eta: walker cooper is kinda the key to unraveling the mystery. he’s not in the ‘47 bond bread set w rounded borders. but he is in the larger homogenized set and still appears in a yankee uni. he was traded in late ‘49 which is why i suggested in my original post that it was most likely a ‘49. but then yours appears a lil small & white for the homogenized set.

You could be right. I'm going to research some more on them, but ultimately, I'm going to let SGC do their thing when I submit them

• Options

@blurryface said:

You could be right. I'm going to research some more on them, but ultimately, I'm going to let SGC do their thing when I submit them

original 48 card, rounded set checklist: (no walker)

Rex Barney
    Yogi Berra
    Ewell Blackwell
    Lou Boudreau
    Ralph Branca
    Harry Brecheen
    Primo Carnera
    Marcel Cerdan
    Dom DiMaggio
    Joe DiMaggio
    Bobby Doerr
    Bruce Edwards
    Bob Elliott
    Del Ennis
    Bob Feller
    Carl Furillo
    Joe Gordon
    Sid Gordon
    Joe Hatten
    Gil Hodges
    Tommy Holmes
    Larry Jansen
    Sheldon Jones
    Eddie Joost
    Charlie Keller
    Ken Keltner
    Buddy Kerr
    Ralph Kiner
    Jake LaMotta
    Johnny Lindell
    Whitey Lockman
    Joe Louis
    Willard Marshall
    Johnny Mize
    Stan Musial
    Andy Pafko
    Johnny Pesky
    Pee Wee Reese
    Phil Rizzuto
    Aaron Robinson
    Jackie Robinson
    Johnny Sain
    Enos Slaughter
    Vern Stephens
    George Tebbetts
    Bobby Thomson
    Johnny Vander Meer
    Ted Williams

• Options

I do definitely see the size difference between the two. The Exhibits are definitely bigger. I also have Ted Williams in this set, but these don't seem to be as valuable as some of the other issues. It could just be the controversy surrounding them, but at the same time, I also picked up the clipped corners white back Musial for just 40.00.

• Options
    edited July 28, 2021 3:13PM

i went thru all of this several years back when i was locking down the jackie robinsons. talk about being super confused. and this was when they were super cheap. i know you dont know me from adams, but i can tell you i spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the mystery, and still havent figured it all out. i think i got the basics down, but something could arise or surface tomorrow to flip it all on its head. hopefully it helps and not ideal in hearing that it might not be a true ‘47 bond bread. i only say this bc ive been there. and it takes nothing away from the dealer, psa or sgc from being reputable at all. its always kinda just been a given that they are all 47 bond breads. kinda similar to 86 topps traded looking like 86 topps traded tiffany. sure, they both are topps, use the exact same pics but are two very different products.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    i went thru all of this several years back when i was locking down the jackie robinsons. talk about being super confused. and this was when they were super cheap. i know you dont know me from adams, but i can tell you i spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out the mystery, and still havent figured it all out. i think i got the basics down, but something could arise or surface tomorrow to flip it all on its head. hopefully it helps and not ideal in hearing that it might not be a true ‘47 bond bread. i only say this bc ive been there. and it takes nothing away from the dealer, psa or sgc from being reputable at all. its always kinda just been a given that they are all 47 bond breads. kinda similar to 86 topps traded looking like 86 topps traded tiffany. sure, they both are topps, use the exact same pics but are two very different products.

Oh, yeah, and OPC is the same way. It's just that, theres information readily available for that stuff, so everybody knows what they're looking at, despite the slight differences. The main problem with these Bond Bread releases, is that there's little information, and what information is found on them, can be debatable because there seems to be no concrete information. Not many people still around to even recall buying this stuff from back then, so most of what is found is just speculation.

• Options

It doesnt stop it from being cool and collectible, but it does create mass confusion. I can see if collectors avoid the set, as there definitely is too much controversy surrounding it. To top it off, you have the fake Musials, which I've seen most graded by FGA. All have been fake. This just adds confusion and big problems to collectors.

• Options

@blurryface said:

Oh, yeah, and OPC is the same way. It's just that, theres information readily available for that stuff, so everybody knows what they're looking at, despite the slight differences. The main problem with these Bond Bread releases, is that there's little information, and what information is found on them, can be debatable because there seems to be no concrete information. Not many people still around to even recall buying this stuff from back then, so most of what is found is just speculation.

thats why i was saying reach out to tedz over at n54. his dad owned a sandwhich shop that used bond bread. 😉

i can tell ya after 5 mins of talking with him, youll put aside all the hobby “given” folklore.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

thats why i was saying reach out to tedz over at n54. his dad owned a sandwhich shop that used bond bread. 😉

i can tell ya after 5 mins of talking with him, youll put aside all the hobby “given” folklore.

I will definitely check it out. This has me curious as to where these originated from now.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

I will definitely check it out. This has me curious as to where these originated from now.

please keep this thread updated w what ya find too. the size difference has me intrigued. for the record, i do think yours is period accurate by the pixelation.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

please keep this thread updated w what ya find too. the size difference has me intrigued. for the record, i do think yours is period accurate by the pixelation.

I too am curious. No username was found. Theres a Tedzan, but no Tedz. I can try Tedzan, if that is him?

• Options

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

@blurryface said:

I too am curious. No username was found. Theres a Tedzan, but no Tedz. I can try Tedzan, if that is him?

thats him.

• Options

I tried,but says they aren't accepting messages.

• Options

pm’d with the email i had. been a few years, but something tells me he doesnt change things up too much.