Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pan-Pac Half

MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
edited June 24, 2021 11:55AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I picked up this XF-45 Pan-Pac half for my commemorative collection. Obviously, I would have preferred a mint state, but those are out of my price range at the moment. Even in this grade, it’s still an attractive coin and has always been one of my favorite designs.

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 24, 2021 4:09PM

I like it. I keep waiting for just the right one.. Probably never happen. I like yours!

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    I like it. I keep waiting for just the right one.. Probably never happen. I like yours!

Right there with you as I've owned and sold quite a few and only ever saw one I really liked which was priced that way too.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MJD Rub wise that's a lot of coin at XF45 as the cherub's butt cheek and hair are found in sub Gem plastic with just about the same.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the addition, I agree that the Pan Pac is a very nice design.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's one of my favorite designs of the series.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2021 2:57AM

Nice score 🙂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A really nice coin....I like that one, lots of good detail. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are not that many great Pan PAC half dollars out there. The AU-55 piece posted previously is exceptional. The piece I posted earlier was one of the better ones I had seen when I bought it years ago.

I’ve seen a couple of traps too. At one of the shows, a dealer had one in an MS-67 holder that was as ugly as sin. He was pushing it on me @ $17,500.00. I would not have paid $170 for it as a collector. It really turned me off, regardless of the price.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

These coins don't come with great luster but I've seem some very attractively toned examples.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. For a circulated Pan-Pac, that’s about as good as it gets.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that the original issue boxes were kind to these coins.

Years ago, when I was looked for the Pan Pac $2.50 in high grade, Heritage had a three piece set (Half dollar, gold dollar and $2.50) ) with the original box. The gold coins were quite nice, but the half dollar had been cleaned with an abrasive and was in a "details" (no grade) holder. One of the previous owners had not like the toning on the half dollar and had rubbed it off the surface.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have read that the "ring" of toning on the Pan-Pac Half Dollar is on almost all original coins, from the holder/envelope that is was purchased in. Sometimes it is appealing, sometimes not.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a great coin and a wonderful example of the Barber/Morgan collaboration.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said: “I don't think that the original issue boxes were kind to these coins.”

I agree, although the ones that are not messed with share a pretty distinctive originality. I bought one years ago when a 5 coin set was broken up. It has a distinctive though dullish blue grey toning and graded 63 when I submitted it.

(About 5 years later @MFeld sold me a much livelier one, and much higher grade, though similar color spectrum. I love this issue)

Higashiyama
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did good daddyo! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the one in my type set. It has the ring talked about above. It is also one of the S/S varieties.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 6:31AM

Very nice design on obverse and federal heraldic on reverse. Consider how long it took to bring the Panama Canal to fruition and the effort nearly bankrupted France in the 1800s.

There was one in this case at a flea market I picked up that graded MS64+ at NGC.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I have read that the "ring" of toning on the Pan-Pac Half Dollar is on almost all original coins, from the holder/envelope that is was purchased in. Sometimes it is appealing, sometimes not.

Bowers in his Guide Book of U.S. Commemorative Coins states:
    "On many pieces there is an inner "circle" or "line" near the rim of the obverse due to die characteristics."

• Options
    NoGoldNoGold Posts: 41 ✭✭

That's a beauty!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now THAT'S attractive toning. Pan Pac halves are one of my favorite classic commemoratives.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 7:01PM

Lots of stuff went strong at the legend sale. That Pan-Pac was on my watchlist. I was gearing up to make a very strong bid to acquire a different coin for my type set…… but my “very strong bid” was blown away by more than $4k. I wasn’t even in the ballpark. Oh well.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 11:32PM

Here’s mine with the typical “ring”. I bought it privately in November 2019 as a 66 with a CAC, and I thought it was special enough to send it back to PCGS for Reconsideration. It came back with a “+”, and since the cert # remained the same, it automatically got the CAC reapplied:

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

My circulated Pan Pac. I bought this one from another forum member in 2006.

mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file