Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Acrylic encased coins!

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 23, 2021 2:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys,
Just got this. I love these coins that are encased by acrylic. Have several. Also, currency as well. Post your acrylic coins too. Thanks.

1964 Kennedy

Check out the prism effect!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those were very popular in the 1960's.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    How many do you want?

Very cool! B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    One of those is actually an 83-CC Morgan $ in (acrylic) UNC.

WOW! B)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like that!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now these are slabs!

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 4:21PM

@JBK said:
    Now these are slabs!

Lol. Actually, protected even far more better from the elements! Imagine the PCGS storage boxes if their slabs were these? :D

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2021 4:29PM

My Aunt was a bank teller. She always brought me coins. Starting when I was 4/5 years old. She got me hooked. Anyway,..... At the bank where she worked they had these Bicentennial items. All encased in acrylic. Paper weights, letter openers, etc. She gave them to me. I threw them all in the trash just recently. Cleaning up. Just more junk.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    My Aunt was a bank teller. She always brought me coins. Starting when I was 4/5 years old. She got me hooked. Anyway,..... At the bank where she worked they had these Bicentennial items. All encased in acrylic. Paper weights, letter openers, etc. She gave them to me. I threw them all in the trash just recently. Cleaning up. Just more junk.

That's kind of a shame, I bet some kid would have loved those.
    Now they'll be in some landfill.
    Wait, come to think of it.... Hydrant's Trash

• Options

Well, I thought about all you said. I asked people if they wanted that stuff. No interest.

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 5:30PM

Forget it.

• Options

O.k., > @JohnnyCache said:

@Hydrant said:

That's kind of a shame, I bet some kid would have loved those.
    Now they'll be in some landfill.
    Wait, come to think of it.... Hydrant's Trash

Well, you find the kid. I've tried.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I thought OGP was bulky. . .

• Options

Just Noticed, some actual

Tone

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one with 1972 cents in it. No double dies 🙂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I had a Peace Dollar in acrylic, I cracked it out. Acetone cleaned up the clinging remnants. Was a 1924 I believe, still have it in a box. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭

My dad was born in '58 and I came across a proof set in acrylic. Christmas shopping was made easy that year.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Years ago I had a Peace Dollar in acrylic, I cracked it out. Acetone cleaned up the clinging remnants. Was a 1924 I believe, still have it in a box. Cheers, RickO

I always wondered if was possible to crack one out of acrylic like that. I thought it might end up ruining the coin. Good to hear it’s possible, in case I ever wander across a key date or rare variety.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud .... Yep, actually pretty easy... I used a chisel and hammer for the initial break...and it split nicely, did one more whack so I could free the coin.... Then the acetone soak... actually about four, in pure acetone. The coin was nothing special as far as date or variety, I just wanted it out of the tomb. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

The anti-rattler category!

• Options
    edited June 24, 2021 1:35PM

@ricko said:

How did you do it? I understand the acetone part after the crack out but how did you crack it? I thought about doing the same with my Bicentennial paper weights, letter opener, and pen holder but I just thought the coins would be so messed up and hopeless........I gave up before I got started. How did you do it?

• Options

@Hydrant.... As I stated above, I started with a chisel and a hammer...One sharp, hard hit, split the acrylic, roughly in half. Then, on the piece that still had the coin, I did it again, twice... and the coin was basically free, with acrylic adhering. Then I performed soaks in pure acetone to dissolve and remove the residues. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file